I Need Help With Buying A Uke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zrud123

Reaction score
hey how is everyone doing? i've been looking for a uke for a long time and i need sum questons answered. what type of uke do i buy? which ukes are good for beginners? a concert a tenor a saprano? i dunno:confused: i travel so what would be a good sized uke. i don't want to spend over $100 on a uke so what are good quality uke companies that aren't very expensive. plz give me any help that u can. thanx:D zac

I'm still a super uke noob, but I use a Mitchell MU70 Concert sized 12-fretter, that I bought at guitar center for $100 out the door, and it sounds really good IMO. I have been carrying it on the airplane with me, so it's easy to travel with.

I started out with a Hilo, which is about $30-40. I was able to learn a lot on it, but moving to the Mitchell made me sound like a much better uke player.

Last edited:
i got a cascade tenor at costco.com for $50 as my beginning uke. i changed the strings to d'addrio nylon strings for $3 - $4 a set over the internet and it's not bad. I'll send you a video of what it sounds like later.

what size are you looking for?

try ebay. a seller named musicguymic. I have only heard great things about him.

I would advise to search within and determine if this is a passing fancy or are you really going to pursue seriously learning how to play it and keep it for years to come. If you’re serious about it then pass over the low end Junkers and up your buying fund limit to about 150 dollars. Or keep your eye on the marketplace for a good buy. Take your time and don't rush into it. People are always moving up and sometimes don't want to have a big collection of Uke's. Educate yourself with all the resources available at your fingertips. There is a wealth of info in the UU and also on the web. Learn by just reading what others have done, as well as learning from others mistakes and regrets in buying. When it doubt Google it. :bowdown:

lanikai would be my vote, i jsut played their full line at a music shop here in town and i really enjoyed them a great deal....for the price they sound pretty dang good honestly....I'd go with a concert size too...i have had two sopranos...and i just feel its held my playing back a little i just got a concert in the mail and already my fingers are a dancing

Oh, that reminds me, are you buying online or going to a music strore? Answering that question could change the answers a bit.

Talk about a ghost bump.. this thread is more than a year old.

HA!!! Totally missed that!

O'well.

Anybody wanna argue about which strings are the best?

WORTH Clear Mediums!! They sound 'fluffy':cool:

Top Bottom