12 fret concert Ukes

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have two 12 fret concert ukes. Both of them are fantastic ukes; one is a Kawika and one is a Collings.

I have the same problem on both of them which is that I have to be very precise in my playing or I tend to pull the A String or push the G String off the edge of the ukes. I'm wonder if this has something to do with string tension. These are the only ukes where I have this problem. For some reason this has become significantly less of a problem on the Collings since I put some Living Water string on it. The previous strings I think were Aquila.

Is it just that these two ukes have the strings too close to the edge? I can't measure anything that is different from other fretboards and that's hard to believe because both are known for their precision and perfection. And it's only these two. So I'm starting to think that string tension is the issue with the shorter neck leaving the strings a little looser. Maybe the cure on the Kawika is some higher tension strings. Anyone else have this problem on any ukes?

Higher tension string may help a bit but it's got nothing to do with the shorter concert neck. If the neck is wide enough for you, then installing a new nut with the the strings lots a little closer together might help, but only at the lower frets. I'm always hesitant to comment on other builder's work so I can only sy that I place the outer strings well inboard to eliminate that dreaded "gutter ball" effect. Try some higher tension strings first.

my martin has a thinner neck so the strings are close to the edge and I do this sometimes but it doesn't bother me.

Got a new a concert uke had this exact problem. Strings were too close to the edge plus the fret bevel was at a shallower angle. Drove me nuts. Sent it back and got a new concert and the strings / nut distance
are fine.

no matter how many frets, a concert should be 15" from saddle to nut. All mine have 12 frets to the body, just 4 more onto the body.

I have the same problem on both of them which is that I have to be very precise in my playing or I tend to pull the A String or push the G String off the edge of the ukes. I'm wonder if this has something to do with string tension. These are the only ukes where I have this problem... Anyone else have this problem on any ukes?

I have had a similar problem on both soprano and concert ukes. What fixed it for me was using concert strings on the soprano uke (Aquilas, on a Kamaka HF-1 I no longer own) and tenor strings on the concert uke (Martin M620s on my Kamaka HF-2).

Top Bottom