Belly muffler !!!

Jools1050

Reaction score
I've just been walking about my house room to room and corner to corner to find the best acoustics, and found them halfway up the stairs. But........ While doing so, I moved the uke away from my body to adjust my grip and it was like someone plugged me into an amp !!! The volume increased by about 40% !!! Also, I had more resonance, sustain and the whole thing sounded substantially sweeter!
Just need to figure a way to play it in this position and alls good in my world !!!

Yup, it does dampen the sound to a degree. A benefit to playing with a shoulder strap is that you don't need to press the uke so hard against your body. I like to play while sitting with my legs crossed, and my ukuleles placed between them, sort of like how classical guitar players play. In that position it's held firmly, but is away from your body. Also I enjoy that upward neck angle.

This phenomenum is common with guitars and mandolins. For my mandolins I have a rack-like object called a Tone Gard which separates the instrument's back from the musician's torso. i was stunned how much volume increased by installing this item. There is a weight factor to consider, as the item does add considerable weight. Don't know if anyone makes anything like a Tone Gard for ukuleles, but if such an item exists, the weight will be critical (or else a strap will be needed).

I've just been walking about my house room to room and corner to corner to find the best acoustics, and found them halfway up the stairs. But........ While doing so, I moved the uke away from my body to adjust my grip and it was like someone plugged me into an amp !!! The volume increased by about 40% !!! Also, I had more resonance, sustain and the whole thing sounded substantially sweeter!
Just need to figure a way to play it in this position and alls good in my world !!!

there is a guy who sells these neat things that go on the back of the uke like a metal frame and it gives like an inch gap between your body and the uke but you can still rest the frame on your stomach. its pretty cool. Wish I could remember the name.

there is a guy who sells these neat things that go on the back of the uke like a metal frame and it gives like an inch gap between your body and the uke but you can still rest the frame on your stomach. its pretty cool. Wish I could remember the name.

I'm curious about them if you remember the name. Not really sure what to even search for.

I also play the square neck resonator guitar and I've seen a similar kind of framework that raises the guitar off your lap. It got me thinking last night when I made the discovery, could I make something similar or is there already something out there. Please post the name of the gadget of you remember. Thanks

This phenomenum is common with guitars and mandolins. For my mandolins I have a rack-like object called a Tone Gard which separates the instrument's back from the musician's torso. i was stunned how much volume increased by installing this item. There is a weight factor to consider, as the item does add considerable weight. Don't know if anyone makes anything like a Tone Gard for ukuleles, but if such an item exists, the weight will be critical (or else a strap will be needed).

I'm curious about them if you remember the name. Not really sure what to even search for.

I also play the square neck resonator guitar and I've seen a similar kind of framework that raises the guitar off your lap. It got me thinking last night when I made the discovery, could I make something similar or is there already something out there. Please post the name of the gadget of you remember. Thanks

Steve already provided your answer....:D

Very very cool! I would like something to push the uke out a bit, but nothing heavy. Time to go google!

Indeed the back of an acoustic instrument does contribute to it's volume and tone, particularly adding a lot of resonance. I've found this varies greatly from one instrument to the next. Both of my old Gibsons lose a lot of tone and volume when hugged, while my Collings concert and Kamaka pineapple not so much.....noticeable on the latter two but not near to the degree of the vintage Gibsons. Learned this long ago with acoustic guitars. Vibrations from the top bounce to the back and add a lot of fullness to the tone.

On an entirely different note - I had this really cool experience the other day when my stomach growled really loud while I was leaning back with the back of my BP tenor resting on my belly. Very, very, cool sound that I wish I could replicate on demand...

We now return to serious discussions...

One of the benefits of using a strap is in some cases, depending on your playing posture, you can use it to support the uke at a sharper angle from your body so it is not clamped in so tight to your chest or stomach.

John

Thought I'd bring this back to see if anybody had some other good ideas. Good posture seems to be the key.
But when lounging around on the couch/bed, it just rest on my belly and I notice a decrease in tone. I tried a small sock balled up, but curious if anybody has a plan B (or C).

(I'm going to Hawaii this July so wanna wait to get uke accessories... like a strap... till I get there.)

Thought I'd bring this back to see if anybody had some other good ideas. Good posture seems to be the key.
But when lounging around on the couch/bed, it just rest on my belly and I notice a decrease in tone. I tried a small sock balled up, but curious if anybody has a plan B (or C).

(I'm going to Hawaii this July so wanna wait to get uke accessories... like a strap... till I get there.)

I find that the curved back of my Clara provides incredible acoustics and power, while also keeping a lot of the back off of my abdomen. A good strap helps support correct posture, because you aren't worried about holding it, and can sit up and just play and enjoy.

I have been buying Ukes, when I can, with a sound port ... it is a sweet ride.

I recognize most Ukes do not have them ... but when I can, I do.

I picked up a Dynarette to use with my guitar, and I've found it also works with a ukulele and leaves its back untouched. It depends a bit on the size of the uke and one's anatomy, and preferred way of sitting while playing. A foot rest like classical guitarists use may work also (even in combination with a Dynarette). (It's sold in a small and large version, and I can't see any situation where anyone would want the small version.)

Top Bottom