Help! Who Made this Incredible Antique Wurlitzer Ukulele w/ Abalone Inlay?

Christill1

Reaction score
Amigos and amigas,
Hello, this is my first post. I stumbled into an antique soprano uke today. It is in fabulous condition, with original case. It has remarkable abalone inlay (well I think it's abalone, you tell me!) all over. It is truly gorgeous. The paper label on the inside says Wurlitzer. My understanding is that Martin made some of these old Wurlitzers. However, the head stock shape does not look like a Martin. Can anyone ID it more for me? As in, who made it and when? Here are five photos. Many many thanks, Chris in Ohio

Attachments

• uke wurlitzer.jpg
    uke wurlitzer.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 189
  • uke wurlitzer (1).jpg
    uke wurlitzer (1).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 158
  • uke wurlitzer (2).jpg
    uke wurlitzer (2).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 169
  • uke wurlitzer (3).jpg
    uke wurlitzer (3).jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 134
  • uke wurlitzer (4).jpg
    uke wurlitzer (4).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 136
Picture of back of mystery Wurlitizer

Here's a picture of the lovely back side of the Wurlitzer uke. Thanks, Chris from Ohio

Attachments

• uke wurlitzer (5).jpg
    uke wurlitzer (5).jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 88
Martin made loads for them in 1922-1926, a customer line of slightly altered standard martin instruments. This clearly isn't one of them!? That kerfed lining looks different to Martin too.

I think your uke was made somewhere in the early twenties by the Oscar Schmidt Co. of New Jersey for Wurlitzer.
While they mostly made inexpensive instruments, this was their top-of-the-line ukulele model.
So not a Martin unfortunately, but a very nice find nonetheless.
Love the case.
Congrats!

Ditto on the jealous. This one is a "wowee" My interest in vintage ukes is minimal, except when it comes to something like this one. Did I say WOW! Love it.

Thanks for the help, folks. It truly is a looker and really looks like it ain't been played. When he hauled it out yesterday afternoon, I shook. Yeah... The guy I bought the uke from told me he'd sold the case alone to a lady, an antique dealer, a while back. I asked, you got her phone number? He said, sure, and got it out of the phone book. I called her up, from his driveway. She said, sure, I got the case, come and get it. Drove to her house about a mile away and bought that sweet case for $20 (she'd gotten it for $10, why she didn't buy the uke, I don't know and didn't ask). So, there is the Saga of the Missing Uke Case! What ID's it as an Oscar Schmidt? Thanks!

That's a beautiful ukulele! I've never seen one commissioned by an instrument company with such an unusual look. Surely, Martin wouldn't abandon their shape for a relatively small commission.
Congratulations. Great find.

Just noticed on the inner label it says. registered with the US patent Office. Is there any way of tracing it through them?

Wow , great uke , and with the case !

Thanks for the help, folks. It truly is a looker and really looks like it ain't been played. When he hauled it out yesterday afternoon, I shook. Yeah... The guy I bought the uke from told me he'd sold the case alone to a lady, an antique dealer, a while back. I asked, you got her phone number? He said, sure, and got it out of the phone book. I called her up, from his driveway. She said, sure, I got the case, come and get it. Drove to her house about a mile away and bought that sweet case for $20 (she'd gotten it for $10, why she didn't buy the uke, I don't know and didn't ask). So, there is the Saga of the Missing Uke Case! What ID's it as an Oscar Schmidt? Thanks!

It's a combination of the body shape, headstock shape and fret board end.

RiverDriver, My headstock is about identical to the unmarked Wildwood uke, but he also states that "ukes with this headstock shape have also been attributed to Harmony and others at the time."

Phil Hague, I assume the USPTO mark just refers to the Wurlitzer name trademark, not a patent.

Hmgberg, Thanks!

I guess I had hoped it was a Martin, but that's cool. I assume the body wood is koa, right? I'm no good with ID'ing wood. What's the fretboard wood? And what is the white material used in the binding?

Thanks again, everyone, I'm looking at it right now. Wow. The guy I got it from, a distinguished older gentleman, also has a banjo uke, that he couldn't find yesterday (and probably doesn't want to sell anyway). Both belonged to his dad, a uke player from way back when.

wow wow wow what a find! It's beautiful! congrats! how does it sound?

Post this over at the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (UMGF) in the 4 String Farmhouse section and they will answer all of your questions.

Hey everybody. Though I am a marginal uke player, I think it sounds great. I always play the same one song on ukes, a tune I made up called "Ohio Island Sweetheart" that combines stock Hawaiian riffs with a midwestern setting. I've been trying to query the blokes over at the the UMGF, but still have not had my membership approved. Too, I did send pictures to Jake Wildwood to see if he has any comments. Once I gather all the info, and conclude my torrid love affair with it, it will be going on Ebay.

Care to share "Ohio Island Sweetheart"? Will assume PIB, or Kelly's.....or Starve Island...;).
Cheers,
R

Top Bottom