Stages of making my ukulele

Huke60

Reaction score
Hi
I am called henry and I am 13.
On this thread I shall post the stages of my tenor ukulele making
I will be updating it every weekend.
This ukulele will be all mahogany.
Please comment on each stage... So that I know that I am doing it right.
Thanks a lot
Henry

image.jpg
Here I am cutting out the sound hole. Used a really bad method as didn't have a big enough hole saw

Here I am shaping my soundboard using a orbital sander

And a new clamping jig... This is to clamp the back and sides . Thanks to ken timms (timbuck) for the idea
image.jpg
And also the back and soundboard

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 73
Henry, Love to see you doing this and great job!

Good job so far. I like to see young people get involved with instrument making. Do remember that those googles should go over the eyes, though. They're not doing a bit of good lying on the work bench!

Thanks for all the positive comments. What do you folks think about an Indian rosewood ukulele with a redwood top. If not which other wood would be suitable.
Also when uu says I've exceeded my quota what does that mean.
Thanks

No idea... however there is a uke builder not too far from you in Hebden Bridge. Rob Collins. He will surely help you out wehen you need technical questions answered or if you are on holiday in North Wales pop in for a master-class, free ;)

Hi everyone
Thanks so much for all the comments.
Thanks Pete for telling me about Rob Collins. I have checked him out online and might be able to visit soon. And also I would definitely accept your offer if I was ever in Wales!!! Thanks a lot.
I think I will be buying some redwood for the next ukulele which will have rosewood back and sides.
I started playing uke when I won a mahalo uke at a music festival and have been playing it ever since. Then one weekend I just had an idea of building a uke.and amazingly I managed to make one with some old mahogany that my mums friend gave me. Now I would love to build more and can't wait until I finish this one.
I have had some help with making the first one from Alan milburn (greenscoe) who I met in a music shop.
Has anyone heard of the grand ukulele festival (Northernuke.com) as it sounds really good.
Thanks again
Henry

That's Rob's festival - an ideal opportunity to meet him and have a natter. I have some nice Indian Rosewood sets...

Another option to consider if you are really interested in making ukes but can't find a local uke luthier is to spend some time at a local guitar/other stringed instrument maker as many of the skills and knowledge are transferable.

Reason I say that is Fylde Guitars (also does mandolins I think) is very close by in Penrith - run by Roger Bucknall. I don't know him personally, but he may be a good local source of knowledge and timber!

Giles.

I think Henry's dad should get some credit for his efforts to date-it is he who has given him the practical and moral support for his first uke. I havent helped him practically: I have simply shared my enthusiasm by supplying a stream of information on tools, suppliers and techniques with reference to this forum, youtube and my own recent uke making.

Red Cliff: Interestingly back in 1973/4 I visited Fylde Guitars at Kirkham (in the district known as the Fylde in Lancashire) where they had recently started making steel strung guitars. After the tour and long discussions on guitar making, I bought my first set of mahogany from them. I went on to make 5 classical guitars in 74/76. It is only recently I learned they are still in existence as a very successful co. in Penrith.

Its great to see others on the forum offering Henry support and encouragement.

I too will be watching to see how the first tenor uke develops.

sorry every body cannot up load the stages as i have apparently exceeded my quota of pics
i will however seen pics of the final piece :)
henry

sorry every body cannot up load the stages as i have apparently exceeded my quota of pics
i will however seen pics of the final piece :)
henry
Henry..is it because you are trying to upload more than 4 pic's per post ?..you are only allowed 4 images max...That includes icons. ;)

Top Bottom