Whats that strum?!

Ulalaika

Reaction score
what exactly is he doing at the start of the video?

Thanks in advance :)

I'm wondering if that's a little "embellishment" he learned at a Lil' Rev workshop. It's sometimes used at the end of a song as Rev' teaches it. You lightly rest your thumb on the edge of the fretboard and quickly and lightly do multiple quick strokes with the tip of your middle or ring finger, whichever feels best to you. I use my middle finger.

That little Dolphin sounds pretty good. Undoubtedly, Dolphins are the most uke for the money, and I don't have one. Oh no, I can feel UAS creeping into my bones.

It's a simple tremolo technique. As Phil mentions, Li'l Rev teaches it in his "right hand workshop" but it's really a very common technique used by many for years on a lot of stringed instruments...especially short scale ones that don't have great sustain. Basically, it's a way of "holding out a long note" (or chord) on an instrument that isn't very good at holding out long notes; ukuleles and mandolins, for example.

Edit: Oh...and don't confuse tremolo with "tremelo" - the latter being a non-word for the vibrato bar that Leo didn't know the proper name for when he first put them on his electric guitars!

John

Last edited:
what exactly is he doing at the start of the video?

Thanks in advance :)

I call this strum the 'clit flick' nah. its just a fast strum kind of used as a 'show off' or to add 'flair' to your playing
not big into showy looking /sounding stuff. But Once you learn to strum its just a little fast strum with the thumb.

Top Bottom