PDA

View Full Version : The Glory of the KoAloha KTM-00

soupking
06-22-2014, 05:02 PM
I've had sooooooo many tenors over the years and they just don't get much better than the plain jane KoAloha. I just love the way they sound... like nothing else!

http://vimeo.com/97994583

Thanks for watching, or just passing by :eek: -- Matt

wickedwahine11
06-22-2014, 05:08 PM
It is a wonderful uke, probably my favorite of the K brands lineups and the best sounding factory production uke I have ever played.

soupking
06-22-2014, 05:11 PM
It is a wonderful uke, probably my favorite of the K brands lineups and the best sounding factory production uke I have ever played.

Agreed. I sold a Kamaka HF-3 that was sooo much sleeker and sexier than this KoAloha… I really miss that HF-3. I wish I didn't sell it. It was so perfect. But it just came down to sound between those two. This uke is unreal. Someone please link this thread to me if I ever post it for sale because it'll be the last one. It's my baby; purchased from MGM in the eBay days of circa 2011.

coolkayaker1
06-22-2014, 05:26 PM
I like that the KoOlaha tenors have the svelte neck.

I sold mine and should have kept it. I recently got a KoOlau made by Noa Bonk and it's the best K brand I have ever played. That said, when cost is factored in, dollar-for-dollar, the KoOlaha wins.

I like that video, Soup. You own it, and it sounds meaningful bc of it. Congratulations on the new KoAloha (well, new in 2011, I guess).

mikemiragliuolo
06-22-2014, 05:32 PM
That was nice Matt. It had some emotion, I could feel it brother. I dig it.

Dan Uke
06-22-2014, 07:54 PM
Great singing Matt. Never heard the song and the first strummed reminded me of Jason Arimoto's Gravity...had the laid back sound that I like.

CeeJay
06-23-2014, 05:19 AM
So far I have not really warmed to the larger ukes..(no offence intended ...I'm just soprano and slightly concert orientated ) but this could be a deal breaker I have to say ....and Dr Bekkens two latest...Nice.

soupking
06-24-2014, 03:38 PM
Wow, thanks guys- Steve, Daniel, Mike, and CeeJay! I actually forgot I posted this and just now went back to check. I should mention that I've gotten away from tenors in a big way the last probably years or so. I still have this one, though, and all the others are gone. I think I prefer the smaller ones for the simple fact they're easier to wield around with my obnoxious kids all up in my way all the time. Haha. With a soprano or concert it's easier to maneuver to and fro if one of my boys tries to suddenly tackle me; which happens probably too much.

So, my point in posting this I guess, that night, was to say that I still enjoy the tenor- a lot- and I've had some great ones. This one, for whatever reason, and I know everyone is different, but for me it's just so easy to play and it has a perfect sound to me; for what I like to play on a tenor. I'm not a very good player, but to me the KoAloha tenors sound great for strumming lazily while relaxing, they sound spot on. That's not to say the others didn't, but for some reason I can't make the wound strings sound good for strumming with my primitive playing style. Having said that, the Worth low g sets do not sound right on any other other ukes- to MY ear- and they even sound boomy to an extent on this KoAloha, yet at the same time they sound perfect, too. Okay I'm rambling now so I'll bounce off.

Oh yeah, in the comments section of the YouTube vid linked in this thread, is where I got the chords to this song. This video is far superior to mine, I believe, and incidentally, I don't even really like the song or Damien Rice that much in general- which isn't to say I think either are bad, they're not, not in least, just not my thing overall- but I think the song itself, played on a KoAloha tenor, or in this vid's case, a super concert, mesh perfectly. So thanks again for watching, I appreciate it! -- Matt

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?50139-My-first-cover-on-my-KoAloha-SC-Damien-Rice-quot-Delicate-quot