Customs duty on USA Luthier Made uke being re-imported back to USA from Canada?

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi,
Can someone please advise if there would be duty payable on a Uke made by a USA Luthier with USA woods that is now being shipped back to the USA from Canada?

Cheers

Last edited:
Huh? Why is the uke in Canada if it's made by a USA luthier? Confusing. I'm not sure if the free trade agreement includes Canada, I've ordered a variety of items from China and one from Vietnam with no duty charged.

Wouldn't you be better asking US Customs? And why would who made it or what wood it's constructed from make a difference?

If made in USA, there's no duty coming back to the USA.

Wood and type of shells used is applicable for stuff made outside the US and brought in. I had a Larrivee guitar that was a bit of a hassle bringing thru as they thought the shell used for the inlay was abalone or something like that. I called Jean and he faxed down the proof the shell used was legal in the US.

Last edited:
The reason the uke is in Canada, is because the person who commissioned it lives in Canada. I just purchased it from her. I will be visiting friends and family in the USA soon and asked it be be shipped to my first vacation stop. That's the back story.
The reason for mentioning the wood origin was because of the various laws around the world that prohibit importing 'endangered species'. If you travel with high end instruments, some customs inspectors in certain countries will impound it. Luckily the US has recently modified their law so that it doesn't focus on people like you and me (players).
Re the duty bit, I thought that it depended on the 'country of origin' of the item. As it was made in the USA, I thought that would exempt it from US duty.
Thanks all for the quick replies.

If made in USA, there's no duty coming back to the USA.

Wood and type of shells used is applicable for stuff made outside the US and brought in. I had a Larrivee guitar that was a bit of a hassle bringing thru as they thought the shell used for the inlay was abalone or something like that. I called Jean and he faxed down the proof the shell used was legal in the US.

It works the other way 'round too Patrick.

True, but very slightly unrelated story, to illustrate the extent to which we get our trousers pulled down in England.

Many of the Japanese motor manufacturers have plants in England. These cars get exported to Europe, then re-imported back to England at a much higher price.

I can catch the train to (I think) Belgium, and buy a Toyota which was build 25 miles from where I live, for several thousand pounds less than it would cost to buy from the Toyota dealer down the road.

I have shipped a couple of ukes to the US from Canada. They both travelled duty free because (i was told) they were valued under some mysterious secret $ value that changes based upon what category exactly the customs people decide a ukulele falls into. Either way, unless the uke is super high value, going from Canada south you probably should be fine. Incidentally you don't have to indicate place of manufacture or much of anything when you are a private person shipping personal stuff between Canada and the US as they largely go on the honor system for the small private shipments.

The reason the uke is in Canada, is because the person who commissioned it lives in Canada. I just purchased it from her. I will be visiting friends and family in the USA soon and asked it be be shipped to my first vacation stop. That's the back story.
The reason for mentioning the wood origin was because of the various laws around the world that prohibit importing 'endangered species'. If you travel with high end instruments, some customs inspectors in certain countries will impound it. Luckily the US has recently modified their law so that it doesn't focus on people like you and me (players).
Re the duty bit, I thought that it depended on the 'country of origin' of the item. As it was made in the USA, I thought that would exempt it from US duty.
Thanks all for the quick replies.

Thanks again people for all your comments. Ululele players really are nice people!
This whole thread has now become moot as the seller happens to be travelling to the USA in a few days and will post it from there. It's an extra effort that I really appreciate and an action that proves my premise above.
Cheers from Oz (Australia for those not in the know)

Top Bottom