Size & Sound

Paul December

Reaction score
Generally speaking... Same Brand & Same Wood & Same Style...
...as you go up in Size what do you gain sound-wise?
For example, if I were to get 3 Kalas: Soprano, Concert, & Tenor from the same line, how should they sound differently as I go Small-to-Big?
Would I be correct in expecting them to progressively get Deeper & Louder? Any other differences in sound?

As, I mentioned in the beginning I'm interested in Generalities and not exceptions. I do understand that a Soprano of brand "A" can be deeper/mellower/projects more than a Tenor of brand "B"

size?

I have recently added to my collection of ukulelesand I have noted that when going up in size not only does the sound volume go up but the biggest thing I have noticed is that the sustain of the instrument also increases quite dramatically.

The 3 ukuleles that I have that are from the same maker and of the same wood is a soprano, a tenor and a baritone. All of these instruments have strings from the same manufactuter.
:music:

I have recently added to my collection of ukulelesand I have noted that when going up in size not only does the sound volume go up but the biggest thing I have noticed is that the sustain of the instrument also increases quite dramatically.

The 3 ukuleles that I have that are from the same maker and of the same wood is a soprano, a tenor and a baritone. All of these instruments have strings from the same manufactuter.
:music:

I agree! I just went up from a concert to a tenor and the sustain is incredibly different, the tenor is much better in that respect. The other main difference for me is the size of the fretboard. You get a much broader range of notes and the frets at the top of the board are actually useable rather than there for decoration. I find fingering chords (like D) much easier with this bigger fret board too.

In terms of sound my tenor is much more mellow than my concert which sounded very bright and Hawaiian. I just changed the strings so I can't make much more of a comment than that but will let you know what I think.

Last edited:
Yes, the main reason that I moved up in size was the size of the neck/fretboard.

I play a lot of guitar and although I could play the chords on a uke quite easily, i felt very cramped. The tenor was a huge improvement in my comfort and the baritone (using guitar chords) offered an even greater degree of familiarity. :music:

That's almost impossible to answer. To my ears, sopranos and concerts are similar in sound and volume (not surprisingly), with the concerts sounding a bit more mellow, or a little less bright and bouncey.

Tenors and baritones sound like a completely different instrument. To me they are as much like a soprano as a cello is like a violin.

The only way to find out is to play the different sizes and decide which you prefer. Don't rely on recordings - they can be very deceptive.

Ukantor.

Top Bottom