Soundhole Patch

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm making a Hana Lima sapele concert. The plan calls for a soundhole patch which seems like overkill. (I already have the rosette in place and the soundboard is .08" thick). If I am using their bracing pattern should I just go ahead and use it or do you think it is save to omit it? It looks like a pretty standard fan pattern.

Thanks and sorry if it has already been discussed. I tried to do a search with limited success.

As you can see from the antique instrument Ken is working on in another thread a sound hole patch was not used. I consider a sound hole patch cheap insurance. Much depends on top species. You could get away with no patch in a thick loa top and have split problems in a douglas fir top.

i use maple veneer (.020") as a SH patch these days

I've always regarded the rosette as a functional prevention of splitting device..It's like horizontal plywood..if you know what I mean ?..I make my channel as deep as i can without cutting thro' the top.. It can be made to look pretty as well :)

Last edited:
I don't think they're necessary. Between the rosette and the braces above and below the hole, there's not much realestate to crack. I don't think it really hurts to have one either, so if you like it, do it.
They do come in handy if you route all the way through the top when inlaying the rosette.....not that I've ever done that :p

Top Bottom