Not so happy NUD - Compass Rose Tenor

Telperion

Reaction score
So, I was pretty stoked to be getting a nice all flame maple sunburst Compass Rose tenor today, but had the excitement sucked out of me, just about like the U.S. Soccer team yesterday. I bought the uke new from a dealer, who for some reason shipped it UPS ground, in a horribly overused box. It was shipped on June 13'th, and I just picked it up at the UPS hub today, so 10 days on the road. The box arrived in super rough shape, and the Access gig bag (which I will add is a very nice, sturdy case - shouldn't damage easy) has a serious lean to it and seems like the neck portion is twisted.

The uke itself, was not smashed or cracked or anything like that, but there are several little issues, that to me point to severe dehydration. First, the flame maple, while gorgeous indeed, has contracted enough to have a washboard feel to it when you run your hand across it. The end pin will not even stay in place as the hole has expanded due to wood shrinkage. The lacquer finish appears to be pulling away, or bubbling, on the edge of the fretboard, especially around the end of each fret. Lastly, the bridge seems to be lifting slightly on the bottom of the treble side.

Anyway, I'm a little disgusted with the disappointment and the hassle, but hopefully no big deal in the end. Just felt like venting the frustration a bit. I haven't yet heard back from the dealer on how the return will work, but I am hoping to not have to cover anything here, since it's not just that I didn't like the sound or something. In fact, I didn't even bring the strings up to tension, as I knew immediately it was a no go. Really a shame, as the uke is simply gorgeous, and Rick's maple ukes are just super cool.

-Steve

Maple CR Box_3.jpgMaple CR Box_4.jpgMaple CR Case_2.jpgMaple CR Case_1.jpg

Good documentation by photos. Yep, back it goes, on the dealer's dime both ways (in my opinion). Beyond that, it's between the dealer and UPS.

Did not know any dealers send expensive ukes via UPS ground..wow, they really don't save that much money....
many have contract rates like HMS has with FEDEX.....

you should let Rick Turner know what happened as he will probably will be the one who does the repairs on the uke...your dealer did no one any favors...

my 2 cents

I agree that the box is unacceptable, as it clearly could not take the strain of a long trip. However, it doesn't appear that the weak box was the cause of the issues, it seems the instrument was not stored properly prior to shipping.

Out of curiosity, why did it take ten days to reach you? My understanding was that UPS Ground had a maximum time-in-transit of five days between most locations.

Yes, it all sucks, but I'd like to give all involved the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes things happen. I've spoken with the dealer now, and they are being very accommodating, so it doesn't look like there are any issues. Nice people, really.

Oh, and I've had two very nice ukes shipped from Gryphon, coast to coast, and they use UPS Ground. They also pack their instruments extremely well, in good strong boxes. Never a problem there.

-Steve

Out of curiosity, why did it take ten days to reach you? My understanding was that UPS Ground had a maximum time-in-transit of five days between most locations.

I think they created their shipping label on Friday, June 13, and then dropped it off Saturday, at a UPS Store. I don't think it got picked up from there until Monday evening. Off the top of my head, I believe the tracking said it rolled into my area Saturday (the 21st) night, and I had it held for pick-up so I could get it this morning instead of wait until 6:00 this evening when UPS is in my neighborhood. So, it would be a bit of a stretch, but UPS might have an argument for being only 5 days in transit.

-Steve

I'm so, so sorry to hear that, Steve. I think I was as excited as you were about that maple beauty. But I'll admit, after I visited this dealer I was worried for you...As I was in Vegas for a conference where the dealer is located, I made an appointment (they are appt only) to see the other two Compass Rose ukes. Both Access cases had obvious moisture stains on the cases and both ukes literally had stuff rattling around inside. I turned the jumbo concert uke over and dust and bits came out. It was as if they had been left out in a construction area or something. There were some very rough spots around both the side port and sound hole and I wonder if that was symptomatic of being dried out, as it certainly isn't characteristic of a Compass Rose instrument. Hopefully they will make it right. If not, I would not hesitate to contact Rick Turner. It's a shame instruments as fine as his are not being properly cared for by an authorized dealer.

And I have both bought and sold half a dozen ukes that were ground shipped and not had any problems. It must be well-packed and clearly this carton was not up to the job. Shocking, especially for a retailer.

Last edited:
Wow! Well, you know Rick didn't ship it to the dealer like that, and it's been pretty humid lately. I would guess the dealer failed to take care of the instrument. That's a shame, since these aren't factory instruments....

I think they created their shipping label on Friday, June 13, and then dropped it off Saturday, at a UPS Store. I don't think it got picked up from there until Monday evening. Off the top of my head, I believe the tracking said it rolled into my area Saturday (the 21st) night, and I had it held for pick-up so I could get it this morning instead of wait until 6:00 this evening when UPS is in my neighborhood. So, it would be a bit of a stretch, but UPS might have an argument for being only 5 days in transit.

-Steve

Yep..looks like they UPS can say it was in transit 5 days since it sat in their office both weekends....

but reading the other post on the thread, seems like the uke was not taken cared of at the dealers home/shop....seems like it was not in the right RH before it was sent to you...good luck getting a new one :)

Sure sorry to see this happen to a nice instrument. If it came from Vegas that currently means A/C and always means low humidity. Then if it sits in a really hot truck for a few states.. I'd rather pay for USPS second day air and did so just recently. Or FedEx. I also like to double box. I hope they eat it.

Yeah, if that uke was in Vegas for a long time, I could see that it might dry out. I've seen fret ends like before that on an old uke or two that wasn't under humidity control. Did the dealer send you pictures not showing this? Doubt this would happen during shipping, even though it was a long trip.

Talk to the dealer you bought it from.

Dealer's pic:
image.jpg

A quick look at Google revealed the likely dealer, and appropriately named as well.... From the dealer's pics, it was a gorgeous instrument at one point.

Last edited:
Such a shame to see a wonderful instrument mistreated. I'm glad the dealer is working with you and being nice. Hopefully, this will all be sorted out. Still, it would have been better if the instrument had arrived in wonderful condition. That's quite a letdown.

I received a custom mandolin that arrived with similar finish issues. It, too, came from a dry location. In my case, the culprit turned out to be a problem with the finish formulation that resulted in incomplete curing. The fretboard edges looked very much like your pictures. I sent it back and it was refinished to my satisfaction.

Hope this works out for you.

BTW, Too many dealers skimp on packaging materials. If the inner space between the case and the outer box is not filled with resistive material, the impact dents you got are pretty much going to be a given.

Yeah, if that uke was in Vegas for a long time, I could see that it might dry out. I've seen fret ends like before that on an old uke or two that wasn't under humidity control. Did the dealer send you pictures not showing this? Doubt this would happen during shipping, even though it was a long trip.

Talk to the dealer you bought it from.

Totally agree. The fretboard would not have dried out like that in 10 days during shipping, especially when at least half of the shipping time would have been in much more humid weather.

Last edited:
Yep...shipping was horrible but that damage wasn't the result of shipping.

Those fret ends don't look like Rick's work, either. It looks like the fret board shrank enough to leave sharp fret ends sticking out and someone made a rather amateur attempt at "dressing" them back to the fret board... That kind of fret board shrinkage takes years, or at the very least several months, not days.

John

John

Top Bottom