Has anyone tried oasis warm strings on their ukes?

iamesperambient

Reaction score
I ordered a set of oasis warm's to try to mellow out my concert which is already very mellow but the aquilas are bright and now im learning a lot of jazz and want a mellower sound. I didn't go right to low G because i felt the change may be to extreme at first so i just got the high G warms. Has anyone noticed if their more mellow than other strings aka aquila etc? I'm waiting for these to come in the mail gonna try them than prob try worth browns (with low G) after and see if i can get the perfect sound i want. Nothing to extreme just a more mellow jazzy tone.

I found living water reentrant G (high D) is the perfect strings for my baritone being its still tuned to dGBE it still has the lower mellower tone and the bassy sound of the baritone but the reentrant really gives it that classic uke sound while being super mellow.

Trying to obtain more mellow results for my kala Pacfiic walnut concert, and it was the most mellow of all the ukes i tried (i tried them all at sam ash and guitar center) very happy with the over all sound/tone I just think the aquilas are a bit to bright for what i'm playing these days. Anyone have any experience with these strings on a concert sized uke or strings that would make a concert of this nature more 'mellow'?

thanks !

I tried them on my Kamaka soprano and to my ear they certainly didn't sound "warm" - they sounded bright! Which is my preferred sound, but the C string was very boomy, so they didn't stay on long.

The conventional wisdom go-to string for warm seems to be Worth Browns. I've never tried them on any of my ukes, because every uke I've heard that was strung with them was waaaaaaay...tooo...mellllow... to me. So my recommendation would be to start with those.

I tried them on my Kamaka soprano and to my ear they certainly didn't sound "warm" - they sounded bright! Which is my preferred sound, but the C string was very boomy, so they didn't stay on long.

The conventional wisdom go-to string for warm seems to be Worth Browns. I've never tried them on any of my ukes, because every uke I've heard that was strung with them was waaaaaaay...tooo...mellllow... to me. So my recommendation would be to start with those.

thanks ya ill try these oasis when they come and see if it is really 'warm' or even warmer slightly than aquila
than i will try worth browns which i hear are the most mellow of all strings (just very very pricey). thanks for the info!

btw are you sure your tried or oasis warm? you sure it wasn't oasis bright, they also make a bright set too.

btw are you sure your tried or oasis warm? you sure it wasn't oasis bright, they also make a bright set too.

They were definitely the Warms. I also tried the Brights, and I honestly couldn't tell much difference!

As for the cost of Worths - each pack has enough for two sets, so they're really only slightly pricier.

They were definitely the Warms. I also tried the Brights, and I honestly couldn't tell much difference!

As for the cost of Worths - each pack has enough for two sets, so they're really only slightly pricier.

I saw them on elderly for about 14 bucks plus shippning.
Anywhere else to get them for less than that?
I would like to try those also, still gonna give oasis a try
and see how it sounds.

Try Hawaii Music Supply - the price of strings will probably be about the same but shipping might be less.

thanks ya i think i tried and was about the same.
When i have the cash ill try these.

http://www.oasisstrings.com/Ukulele-strings-new.html

im wondering what forum helped the company develop these strings.
from some things i read the bright oasis (is like worth clear) and warm oasis is like worth brown.
I have used worth clears on my soprano and i think their really good they made that piece of crap
cheapo sound half way decent. I still would prefer a slightly more mellow sound though.

I just put a set of Oasis Warm Low G strings on my Pono Cedar/Ebony Tenor. Haven't had a chance to play them much yet, but while tuning them, they seem to have a nice mellow tone. Maybe not any quieter than the Brights, but a little more mellow.

I've tried Worth Browns on a couple of ukes and did not care for them, because to me they sounded too quiet and not so much mellow as muted sounding.

I just put a set of Oasis Warm Low G strings on my Pono Cedar/EbonyTenor. Haven't had a chance to play them much yet, but while tuning them, they seem to have a nice mellow tone. Maybe not any quieter than the Brights, but a little more mellow.

I've tried Worth Browns on a couple of ukes and did not care for them, because to me they sounded too quiet and not so much mellow as muted sounding.

thanks! ya i dont want something muted sound wise
I just want something thats a little more mellow while still having volume
ill see if these do the trick!

The Oasis warm strings have slightly larger diameter strings for 1 & 4. 2 & 3 are the same for Oasis bright & warm sets. The thicker strings are warmer (less bright) than the thinner ones. The Oasis sustain might be too long for Jazz style playing. Maybe try a nylon string rather than FC.

I bought a Pete Howlett tenor from Doc J (above) that was strung with Oasis warm. I have since tried, Aquila Red, Worth clear and Aquila Nylgut. I am on a string experimenting binge with this uke at the moment for no other reason than I want to!!!!

I will have a set of Worth Browns on it in about a week. I did like the Oasis and Worth Clears the best. The Oasis is not a really warm string but there is a difference between them and the Worth Clear which is a brighter string but not overly sharp or brash sounding. On a side note this uke is very light and response so Andrew from HMS suggested I try Worth CM on it. This is one gauge down from tenor and KoAloha does the same with their instruments. Seemed to work well with no loss of volume compared to the Oasis which are larger diameter and higher tension.

I tried the Oasis Warm strings on a concert. The tension was far higher than any other strings I've ever tried. But they didn't sound much different than the florocarbons I'm accustomed to using. I think I discarded them faster than any other strings I've ever tried. I suppose they sounded fine but I hated the high tension. I can't imagine ever putting them on a tenor!

Last edited:
I tried the Oasis Warm strings on a concert. The tension was far higher than any other strings I've ever tried. But they didn't sound much different than the florocarbons I'm accustomed to using. I think I discarded them faster than any other strings I've ever tried. I suppose they sounded fine but I hated the high tension. I can't imagine ever putting them on a tenor!
yes exactly ! the tension
on my new tenor of these strings
is so friggin tight I doesn't feel right!
the sound is far from warm it's tight
bright sounding so far not a winner
think I'll just get Ko'olau brand which
I used to swear by or get living waters
which are my string of choice for my baritone

The Oasis warm strings have slightly larger diameter strings for 1 & 4. 2 & 3 are the same for Oasis bright & warm sets. The thicker strings are warmer (less bright) than the thinner ones. The Oasis sustain might be too long for Jazz style playing. Maybe try a nylon string rather than FC.

prob going to pick up cheap ghs black nylons
tomorrow as the oasis strings are crazy tension
it's so tight that it makes my tenor sound like a soprano
totally bright and not warm. wanna get these off
ASAP at least ghs black nylon will sound mellow
and not ripp my friggin bridge off !

I think your uke is probally on the quieter side and you wanted strings to bring up the volume as aqulas do...Aquilas are Generally bright and Oasis even brighter and punchier
If you want to put on a string with a warmer tone you may have medium volume...try martins they are sweeter.. there are right strings for every uke, you cannot pick any brand
and just slap them expect to get the results you want...you need to try a few and see what works for your individual uke...we all do this.... good luck
since martins I guage as a medium tone, tension , thickness string..put them on and see how your uke preforms with them....then from there you can guage what type of strings your tenor needs...
Oasis are generally better on heavier built ukes as they are brighter as they balance things out and not laminates.......As for GHS they work well on certain ukes laminates,
I like them on my Oscar Schmidt OU2 mahogany I bought 4-5 years ago and the GHS on them works well... I hope in the future you stick with more known brands of ukes for a good measure.
I am frugal too and my known brand Oscar schmidt OU2 cost me 4-5 years ago at 55.00 from muscicians friend.......known brands does not always mean mean more expensive too..

Last edited:
I think your uke is probally on the quieter side and you wanted strings to bring up the volume as aqulas do...Aquilas are Generally bright and Oasis even brighter and punchier
If you want to put on a string with a warmer tone you may have medium volume...try martins they are sweeter.. there are right strings for every uke, you cannot pick any brand
and just slap them expect to get the results you want...you need to try a few and see what works for your individual uke...we all do this.... good luck
since martins I guage as a medium tone, tension , thickness string..put them on and see how your uke preforms with them....then from there you can guage what type of strings your tenor needs...
Oasis are generally better on heavier built ukes as they are brighter as they balance things out and not laminates.......As for GHS they work well on certain ukes laminates,
I like them on my Oscar Schmidt OU2 mahogany I bought 4-5 years ago and the GHS on them works well... I hope in the future you stick with more known brands of ukes for a good measure.
I am frugal too and my known brand Oscar schmidt OU2 cost me 4-5 years ago at 55.00 from muscicians friend.......known brands does not always mean mean more expensive too..

NO I DONT WANT VOLUME AND THE UKE WAS BRIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! i wanted mellow hense buying
'warm' strings!!!!! and their high pitched tense and ringy and have an annoying tone! it turned my tenor
into an oversized soprano voice wise. I realized i'd rather use nylon strings like GHS black everyone says
their 'muted' i find them to be mellow and good for playing jazz chords. I think thats the sound i will go for.

NO I DONT WANT VOLUME AND THE UKE WAS BRIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! i wanted mellow hense buying
'warm' strings!!!!! and their high pitched tense and ringy and have an annoying tone! it turned my tenor
into an oversized soprano voice wise. I realized i'd rather use nylon strings like GHS black everyone says
their 'muted' i find them to be mellow and good for playing jazz chords. I think thats the sound i will go for.
Did you just read the first sentence???? >>>>>>>>>here is from the second sentence again :)

wow you still going in a circle about Oasis strings :)...try something different...you don't have to like them,and you are not going to convince anyone here they are no good everyone is different....and they are good strings...

maybe like Stan says it could be your uke...strings help a lot but are not the answer to all tone,volume, feel etc... problems

you need to get off of Oasis..there must be 6 threads that you are on saying the same thing.... :) but just trying to keep it real....:)
my 2 Cents

wow you still going in a circle about Oasis strings :)...try something different...you don't have to like them,and you are not going to convince anyone here they are no good everyone is different....and they are good strings...

maybe like Stan says it could be your uke...strings help a lot but are not the answer to all tone,volume, feel etc... problems

you need to get off of Oasis..there must be 6 threads that you are on saying the same thing.... :) but just trying to keep it real....:)
my 2 Cents

already bought aquilas and it sounds much better, just sticking with nylons for this uke.

Top Bottom