MP3 Clip Properties

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
I've been editing Mp3 clip properites with Real Player to change Artist, Title, and Album. With RP you have to open the clip, stop it from playing eidt the properties one at a time. Its a real pain in the Azz. Is there anything FREE out there that will allow me to add an album name or title to a group of clips or just let me ope the clip stright to it's properties.

If you have Windows, you can use Windows Media Player which should already be on your computer. You just set up the media info for one of the tracks, and then drag the other tracks over it. There are no forms that you need to open - instead, you just right-click the info you want to change and click Edit (similar to changing a filename on your drive.)

I use Mp3tag for almost all my tagging needs. It's simple, straightforward and free. I'm rather retentive about my files and embedding artwork and this does all that with the least amount of trouble.
I'd also recommend using pretty much any other player around for your Mp3's than Real Player. It's kind of junk. I'm partial to Winamp myself. The library feature on that is second to none and has add-ons and skins galore. It handles my entire collection without a problem. You can edit tags with it too, but I still prefer Mp3tag for that.

if you want to open an MP3's info properties straight away, (provided you're using windows) you can just right click it in windows explorer and click Properties (lol), and then click on summary. This works with other audio formats too. It doesn't work with M4A files though so you'd have to edit that in a program like iTunes I guess

I sometimes find it easier to just edit info manually rather than spending ages looking through lists of album info to find the right one (usually happens with less popular stuff. If you're planning on renaming a lot of songs (like 800?), i'd suggest you reserve something like 2 hours of your time hahaha. Then again, if windows media player (or whatever) can automatically download album info for your songs you can save some time

With the groups thing you can use Zune software (i use that because i'd prefer not to use itunes), but it takes a while to download and install. Basically with that you can find your songs in your library, highlight them all and click edit. If you need to you can use Control to select multiple files that aren't next to each other (just hold control down when you click), or you can hold shift to select multiple files that are next to each other (it highlights everything in between the last file you highlighted and the one you click), or you can use both at the same time (this is just a tip you probably already know, but just in case).

Last edited:
I also use MP3tag, and it's a great product. I download and listen to old-time radio broadcasts, and it lets me change specific MP3 tags on one or a lot of files very quickly and easily.

With the groups thing you can use Zune software (i use that because i'd prefer not to use itunes), but it takes a while to download and install...

You know, I really do like my Zune a lot, but beyond getting stuff on and off the device, the software has always been a bit of a trainwreck for me. It's part of the reason I use Mp3tag. The iteration before last actually went through and removed the artwork I'd embedded in most of my files. I'm still trying to sort out some of that mess. We're talking almost 500G of stuff.

It's just fussy and the last time I accidentally played a song in the Zune software it completely corrupted my Winamp database. I lost almost two years of plays and song ratings. And it's a total resource hog. If it's open everything else grinds to a standstill. It's slow and cumbersome and really only good for loading the player and downloading Podcasts. (the Zunepass is also supposed to be a really good deal, but I don't really need or use it. I'm still ripping my own discs and digitizing vinyl..)

I also have issues with its reliance on the "Album Artist" field. Needless to say, I do not recommend the Zune Software. (however I do recommend the Zune. It's been a good and fairly reliable player and I've had it while several friends have already gone through multiple iPods in the same amount of time..)

Another reason why I do more thoroughly recommend Mp3tag is also that the tags you write in that will carry over into any player you dump the tracks into. It doesn't have the automated features that iTunes or Zune offer, but then you don't have to go back and fix all your tags if they pull up the wrong disc. I'd rather type stuff up myself and do it once and know it's right and laid out precisely how I like it. I'm a bit retentive about my music collection, but by weight of the sheer volume of it, I kind of need to be.

I use Ubuntu Linux and it came with the RhythmBox Music Player (seems to be something like "iTunes for your Linux box." You can set some of the tags in it but, like Lanark mentioned, they don't seem to actually tag the file, just RhythmBox's info. Plus, they only do some of the tags.

So I got EasyTag for that job.

My band partner is on a Mac and I always have to re-tag the mp3's we record before uploading. Same thing. Whatever he's using (I'm thinking probably iTunes) doesn't hit all of the tags properly.

I used to use Windows and had some sort of tag editor on that as well (can't remember the name of it). But on both platforms the tag editors had features to make tagging multiple files easier. EasyTag allows me to set the tags on one and then select a number of files and tag them the same with just a few clicks. This is good for albums especially. You can copy the album name, artist name, etc. -- i.e. all the tags that will be the same -- on a bunch of them without having to type the stuff over and over.

The upshot is, get a program for whatever platform you use that is specifically designed for tagging audio files.

I use Mp3tag for almost all my tagging needs. It's simple, straightforward and free. I'm rather retentive about my files and embedding artwork and this does all that with the least amount of trouble.
I'd also recommend using pretty much any other player around for your Mp3's than Real Player. It's kind of junk. I'm partial to Winamp myself. The library feature on that is second to none and has add-ons and skins galore. It handles my entire collection without a problem. You can edit tags with it too, but I still prefer Mp3tag for that.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I downloaded MP3tag it works great, thanks. Now I can mispell artist names and albums en mass :).

Glad to be of help. I know what a pain it is to have crappy or nonexistent tags. (made especially worse when the filename is a number and title.) It's a major pet peeve of mine.

Top Bottom