NUD: Pegasus tenor

Doc_J

Reaction score
Broke the bank and took the opportunity to own and play a new Pegasus tenor. These opportunities don't come around very often. I was definitely very lucky. It arrived today in the mail.

I love everything about this ukulele, the sound, the feel, the playability, the beauty. This ukulele has it all. Bob Gleason's craftsmanship and artistry are truly outstanding. Bob's a great guy to buy a uke from, also.

The warm tone, balance, resonance and sustain are perfect to my ear (with Hilo strings on it). Every string on every fret sounds as it should.

This tenor has a koa body with a radiused milo fretboard and milo binding with beautiful abalone and MOP inlay, plus cool whale tale carvings on the heel.

Wanted to share a few pics:
and a brief sound sample on day 1 with Hilo black nylon strings with a wound C in reentrant B tuning.
https://app.box.com/s/lb8ek05c2i1535e0ohm8

P1060679_zps3c52349b.jpg

P1060677_zpsd48dd77c.jpg

P1060684_zps66e88377.jpg

P1060676_zpsf321a2ce.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome looking ukulele... you are very lucky indeed. Some cool details on this one. One that caught my eye.... is that bone or stone on the tie bridge? Also, the nuts looks interesting. What is going on there? The Koa also looks exceptional. Congratulations!

Doc J, would you please adopt me? I'd like to inherit your ukes when you go to the great Uke strum-along in the sky. ;-)

That is a really, really beautiful piece of craftsmanship. I think you need to change your signature to "Humble strummer of not so humble ukes of all sizes." ;-)

Congrats!!!

Congratulations! That's a good looking uke. I think I know the answer but . . . how does it sound?

Awesome looking ukulele... you are very lucky indeed. Some cool details on this one. One that caught my eye.... is that bone or stone on the tie bridge? Also, the nuts looks interesting. What is going on there? The Koa also looks exceptional. Congratulations!

The nut and saddle are black micarta (the hard material used for knife handles). There is solid abalone shell on the bridge and on the nut between the strings. They look and work great! The shell on the bridge keeps the tied strings from digging into the milo wood, very clever.

Congratulations! That's a good looking uke. I think I know the answer but . . . how does it sound?

Its hard for me to compare ukes sounds (they are too complex and I am too inarticulate). Since I just got it, I have really haven't compared it. But, even with the Hilo strings, it ranks among the very best ukes I have played. Maybe it will sound even better with other strings, don't know yet.

...OK at this instant in time I think it might be the best sounding uke I have ever played ( yes, with the Hilo strings on it).

Last edited:
That might just be the best-looking uke I've seen on here.

That's a beauty mate. Congrats :)

OMG!

I would sell my left foot to own a uke that looks like that!!!

The figuring of the wood on the front of the body looks like ripples in the water (i.e., very nice ).

Might I say that you have very good taste!

Best of luck with it :)

Outstanding! Truly gorgeous ukulele! Wishing you great joy and inspiration as you strum it!

Hodge, the depth of color in the wood is wonderful. I love those pins that help make up the nut. I wouldn't have thought that Hilos work well on really much of anything (8 )), but maybe Gleason knows how to do this. Beautiful, Hodge, congratulations!

Wow, congratulations Hodge. Seeing a Pegasus Uke in real life is tough enough but owning one is like seeing a unicorn. Congrats!

Top Bottom