so I returned my kala pacific walnut
I loved it but wanted a tenor. I found a
snail ukulele tenor at a local music shop
and bought that. I just can't find any info about it
other than tenor and mahogany but can't tell if it's laminate
or solid but either way I'm happy with
the purchase it has a good sound and look
and I prefer the tenor size

I've heard of the brand, but I'm not familiar with it. It looks very nice! Glad you were able to get the size you wanted!

Ha! I told you you should have bought my Ohana! :p

Congrats. Hope you enjoy it. I will say that if the packaging/paperwork doesn't prominantly state that it is solid, it's laminate.

All I could find about Snail Ukulele is the FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/SnailUkulele

Last edited:
Ha! I told you you should have bought my Ohana! :p

Congrats. Hope you enjoy it. I will say that if the packaging/paperwork doesn't prominantly state that it is solid, it's laminate.

All I could find about Snail Ukulele is the FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/SnailUkulele

I may end up returning it. it does not lay flat when i lay it down im not 100 % sure if its the way its designed or if its warped in some way but it plays perfectly and well intonated.

The guy who sold it says its solid mahogany.
But he also thinks a concert is bigger than tenor DOH!
I asked if it had aquila strings on it and it clearly does and he
says 'just normal nylon ones like this' and pointed to la bella guitar strings which clearly it was aquila nylgut. I'm trying to decide if i should return it and just order an islander or another brand. I have a budget of 140 now if i return it. I can not decide loving the tenor size and it looks great/sounds great. But the fact that it doesn't lay flat has me worried it is damaged in some way and i dont want it to keep warping or messing up, maybe i'm just paranoid. I keep trying to see the perfect ukulele and i just can't seem to find one i guess :/

I'd be very skeptical you got a solid mahogany tenor for $140, but if it plays perfectly and is well intonated and you like the tone, then who cares. There are arched back designs (my Ohana does, not to keep harping on it) so that in itself doesn't speak to quality or lack thereof. As far as "finding the perfect ukulele", good luck with that. :)

I'd be very skeptical you got a solid mahogany tenor for $140, but if it plays perfectly and is well intonated and you like the tone, then who cares. There are arched back designs (my Ohana does, not to keep harping on it) so that in itself doesn't speak to quality or lack thereof. As far as "finding the perfect ukulele", good luck with that. :)

ok so I compared my baritone with it
which is not solid wood and it has an arch too
my soprano does not and my friends guitar
also has an arch so I'm assuming it's the way it's designed
http://www.amahiukes.com

I also found their website and it says it's mahogany
but still doesn't say it's solid so I'm assuming it's laminate.
I'm going to keep it but save up for another brand
like ohana or something like that.

ok so I compared my baritone with it
which is not solid wood and it has an arch too
my soprano does not and my friends guitar
also has an arch so I'm assuming it's the way it's designed
http://www.amahiukes.com

I also found their website and it says it's mahogany
but still doesn't say it's solid so I'm assuming it's laminate.
I'm going to keep it but save up for another brand
like ohana or something like that.

i posted a review here
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...hogany-Tenor-(by-amahi)&p=1542506#post1542506

nice find! I've never heard of those, but they look nice for the price.

What does NUD mean?

One way to check if the top is solid is to hold a small mirror in the sound hole to be able to see the inside of the top, if the grain inside matches the grain outside, it's solid, if not, it's laminate.

One way to check if the top is solid is to hold a small mirror in the sound hole to be able to see the inside of the top, if the grain inside matches the grain outside, it's solid, if not, it's laminate.

i put my ipod inside and took a photo with the flash on
the inside of the top looks exactly the same as the outside so i assume
the top is actually solid.

oh Rlink, you are new here, aren't you???? LOL

Iamesperambient, do you know you can use the far right reply icon with the + sign to accumulate all the posts you want to reply to so they are all in one reply, that way you don't have to post so many replies. Once you've chosen all the posts, go to the end of the posts and click the "Reply to Thread" black icon on the lower left. You will then have all the quoted posts and just reply below each one, like this:

I've heard of the brand, but I'm not familiar with it. It looks very nice! Glad you were able to get the size you wanted!

This is my reply to UkeJenny.

Ha! I told you you should have bought my Ohana! :p Congrats. Hope you enjoy it.

This is my reply to Jim Hanks.

nice find! I've never heard of those, but they look nice for the price.

This is my reply to UkerDanno.

What does NUD mean?

This is my reply to Rllink. NUD means new uke day, when someone receives a new ukulele.

By the way, after I make my first post in a thread I uncheck "Show your signature" each time I add another reply, helps cut down on clutter in the thread.

Last edited:
Iamesperambient, do you know you can use the far right reply icon with the + sign to accumulate all the posts you want to reply to so they are all in one reply, that way you don't have to post so many replies. Once you've chosen all the posts, go to the end of the posts and click the "Reply to Thread" black icon on the lower left. You will then have all the quoted posts and just reply below each one, like this:

This is my reply to UkeJenny.

This is my reply to Jim Hanks.

This is my reply to UkerDanno.

This is my reply to Rllink. NUD means new uke day, when someone receives a new ukulele.

By the way, after I make my first post in a thread I uncheck "Show your signature" each time I add another reply, helps cut down on clutter in the thread.

thanks for the tip...

Top Bottom