2 silly questions

Nickie

Reaction score
1. Which kind of pre-amp, or pickup should I get for my Kala solid mahogany cutaway (concert)? The one it has is too quiet.

2. (Can I have two in one thread?) Has anyone ever put a low G string on and then tuned to D tuning? Did you like it? Hate it?

I can't answer #1. As to #2, I tried a low g(a) on a soprano. It sounds better than low g, IMO.

Hi Nickie. I have a misi on my tenor LoPrinzi and am very happy with it (not changing batteries was not essential, but it sure is nice) but check out the other tread currently running that compares pickups. Also, pickups have been discussed not too long ago in some other threads. I'd search on it and read up..but what I think you'll find is that it's like strings..there are some top brands but then it comes down to personal preference. Second question, sorry, but no experience.

Nickie, what pickup is in the Kala now? Is it passive or active, and have you been using it through a PA, an amp, or both? And did the pickup come already installed?

The train stops at the LR Baggs Five-0 from my experience, but it really depends what level/ease of use you're looking for. The MISI is a killer second option.

Nickie, what pickup is in the Kala now? Is it passive or active, and have you been using it through a PA, an amp, or both? And did the pickup come already installed?

It's passive....it's the original that came in the Kala....I've used an amp...I don't know if that's an amp or a PA we use at open mic, but Steve says my pickup is too quiet....

L.R. Baggs sells several preamps that many players use. I bought the Venue and one of my nylon string guitars that has a very good preamp never sounded better played through the Venue. The PARA DI or the Gig Pro should do the trick. Maybe someone at the open mic is using one and would let you try it.

I've tuned low G ukes up to D and it works well. I don't leave it there and I always keep an eye on the bridge when I tune up to D.

Thanks guys! I read the thread on pickups too, and it was very helpful. Looks like I might be getting the LR Baggs....as soon as I save up the $$$. The uke I was gonna tune to D has already lifted a bridge. Don't know if I wanna risk that again....

For about $30 you can pick up a Behringer ADI21 DI box which will boost the signal from your passive pickup and give you some basic tone controls.

I've decided to try this, since I've spent too much money lately....this is the reply I got from Kala today....I hope this helps someone with the same predicament....I will keep you all posted....

"As for the low output on your second instrument, it is possible that the saddle is not sitting all the way down on the pickup. In order to make sure your saddle is making full contact across the pickup you will have to take it out and sand it down a bit on either side so it fits better in the bridge. That or the pickup element itself could be defective causing a low output. The best way to find out what the true issue is, is to take the instrument to a local tech and see what they say."

I've decided to try this, since I've spent too much money lately....this is the reply I got from Kala today....I hope this helps someone with the same predicament....I will keep you all posted....

"As for the low output on your second instrument, it is possible that the saddle is not sitting all the way down on the pickup. In order to make sure your saddle is making full contact across the pickup you will have to take it out and sand it down a bit on either side so it fits better in the bridge. That or the pickup element itself could be defective causing a low output. The best way to find out what the true issue is, is to take the instrument to a local tech and see what they say."

Sometimes if the groove in the bridge is not wide enough, the wire for the pick-up will not lie flat and you'll get low output. So it could be more of a problem with the bridge groove not being wide enough instead of the saddle not making a good connection.
You could also try a DI to boost your signal.

Sometimes if the groove in the bridge is not wide enough, the wire for the pick-up will not lie flat and you'll get low output. So it could be more of a problem with the bridge groove not being wide enough instead of the saddle not making a good connection.
You could also try a DI to boost your signal.

Thanks! Whats a DI?

1. Which kind of pre-amp, or pickup should I get for my Kala solid mahogany cutaway (concert)? The one it has is too quiet.

Any preamp will boost the signal, especially if it's a passive pickup (as in 'without batteries').

2. (Can I have two in one thread?) Has anyone ever put a low G string on and then tuned to D tuning? Did you like it? Hate it?

That's called Canadian tuning, because Chalmers Doane used it in his teaching methods. Linear D6-tuning, if you want it more descriptive. Article 'The Great Canadian Tuning Debate' Basically, D6 is brighter than C6, and frequent user James Hill comments "Re-entrant tuning is great for vocal accompaniment, jazz chording, and campanella-style playing (à la John King). Linear tuning is better for ensemble melody picking, classroom instruction, lead picking and solo arrangements that involve moving bass lines. Different tools, same tool kit."

Top Bottom