PDA

View Full Version : Routing under saddle for BAGGS Five.0

M3Ukulele
06-24-2014, 05:47 PM
I saw a good video with Aldrine introducing Joe from Kanilea as he installed a MiSi UST in a Tenor Ukulele. Joe routed out the slot in the under the bone saddle so UST was lower than bone saddle. Do you have go do it this way for all UST or did they just do it in this case so they didn't have to shave the bone saddle. I want to install a BAGG Five.0 and want to know the correct procedure!
thanks

NOTLguy
06-25-2014, 02:13 AM
I am about to install a Mi-Si Acoustic Trio on my Pono Tenor and am wondering about the same issue. The pickup strand is 0.9 mm thick and I am wondering if shaving off that amount from the bottom of the saddle will impair it's function when seated back in the bridge?

Regards,
Bill

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
06-25-2014, 02:52 AM
There's no need to re route the saddle unless it is not deep enough in he first place. I like to use a 50/50 rule-- the depth of the saddle in the slot should at least equal the amount of saddle exposed.

M3Ukulele
06-25-2014, 12:30 PM
That is helpful info Chuck...... good to keep in mind. I found a Baggs Five.0 manual on line and it says it is not necessary to route a slot. Manual stresses good contact with the bridge and flat bottom of the saddle.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
06-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Also, drill a second hole in the saddle slot opposite the lead hole and at the same angle. Feed the leading 1/4" or so back through the second slot. I find this eliminates any weakness of the outer strings since the very tip of the UST is not as active as the rest of it. It may not be necessary in every case (depending upon your bridge design) but it's good insurance.

NOTLguy
06-26-2014, 01:16 AM
Thanks Chuck.

There is also a mention of a clip being used to secure the strip after installation so it doesn't move around inside the instrument. Do you know what type of clip is used to do this?

Regards,
Bill

Kekani
06-26-2014, 06:39 AM
Thanks Chuck.

There is also a mention of a clip being used to secure the strip after installation so it doesn't move around inside the instrument. Do you know what type of clip is used to do this?

Regards,
Bill

It's all in the bag, or the box in LRBaggs' case. I normally don't see it because I order them OEM, as in without retail packaging. Can't sell them, but I can install them, then sell the instrument.

By the way, the Element and Fishman's all have wire clips for the inside. I like Baggs' design better than Fishman's, but, that was back then. Not sure if Fishman has since updated their clips. I think they did change their battery clip, but I may be wrong there as well - I like the Baggs' bag for the battery, on the Elements. Five.O battery, even easier, IMHO.

NOTLguy
06-28-2014, 10:21 AM
There are no clips supplied with my Mi-Si pickup. Any suggestions on what type of clip is available? Are there self adhesive stick on clips with the Baggs?

Regards,
Bill

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
06-28-2014, 11:04 AM
The clips that come with th 5-0 are for the volume pot and battery wires, neither of which the misi has.

lauburu
06-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Another tip with installing MiSi (and probably other brand) pickups. I once had a problem with an annoying rattle inside a uke I made. Traced it to the cable of the MiSi rattling against the bottom plate. Took it out, made 3 loops out of the excess length of cable, used a tiny bit of tape to keep the loops from unravelling, reinstalled it. Buzz disappeared.
Miguel

dustartist
06-30-2014, 09:46 PM
With the MiSi I just coil the extra wire and use a small zip tie to secure it.

NOTLguy
07-01-2014, 01:45 AM
With the MiSi I just coil the extra wire and use a small zip tie to secure it.

Thanks for that. I did see this in a You Tube video yesterday and it seems to work just fine.

Regards,
Bill

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-01-2014, 07:07 AM
I'm posting these pics again. It's on a MiSi but the idea is the same. I use a few zip ties because that can work loose.
Before tightening down the jack nut, look into the sound hole and rotate the pickup so that the coil is well away from any surface. (I like to set it horizontally.)
BTW, the MiSi will require about four 1" coils where the 5-0 only needs a couple.

NOTLguy
07-01-2014, 07:16 AM
I'm posting these pics again. It's on a MiSi but the idea is the same. I use a few zip ties because that can work loose.
Before tightening down the jack nut, look into the sound hole and rotate the pickup so that the coil is well away from any surface. (I like to set it horizontally.)
BTW, the MiSi will require about four 1" coils where the 5-0 only needs a couple.

Thanks for that Chuck. That is what I will do with my install.

Regards,
Bill

NOTLguy
07-03-2014, 01:56 AM
Well, I installed my Mi-Si after carefully watching to the video from HMS and others on You Tube and listening to the advice from this forum. The install went very well and now I need to get an amp to try it out.

The primary reason for installing it was to use this feature at open mics we perform each month at a local bar. Around the house my Pono has enough volume without amplification.

I did use the nylon tie strap to make a loop inside which took up the excess length of the wire. The bridge was reduced in height by about 80% of the thickness of the pickup strand to maintain the action. This did maintain the 50/50 ratio of saddle buried and saddle exposed in the bridge. I am counting on some compression of the strand and if that doesn't happen, I will shave off a bit more on the next string change.

The only issue is with my strap which has a hole and slit in it for a 1/4" strap button. The larger Mi-Si strap button will require a modification to my strap hole. What did other Mi-Si users do to accommodate this?

Regards,
Bill