Religious Symbolism in KoAlohas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An excerpt from "Ukulele Ghetto" on a factory tour to the KoAloha factory:

"The Okamis are Christian family and the signature KoAloha headstock actually has the following meaning: The 2 K's in the logo means "King of Kings", which refers to the almighty God. The center staff is the king's staff, or the Sceptre. There are 7 points on the headstock specifically representing the number 7. All this time I thought the headstock was just something that's supposed to look like a crown or a pineapple head. I literally got the chills as Brian told us about this. I'm a Christian myself, so this is a very cool thing to know and I am even more proud to own a KoAloha 'ukulele."

"The Okamis are Christian family and the signature KoAloha headstock actually has the following meaning: The 2 K's in the logo means "King of Kings", which refers to the almighty God. The center staff is the king's staff, or the Sceptre. There are 7 points on the headstock specifically representing the number 7. All this time I thought the headstock was just something that's supposed to look like a crown or a pineapple head. I literally got the chills as Brian told us about this. I'm a Christian myself, so this is a very cool thing to know and I am even more proud to own a KoAloha 'ukulele."

Now that's even more confusing. Whose quote is this? Who is Brian? Shouldn't the quote really end after "...the number 7."? Speaking of the number 7, what else would one expect a seven-pointed headstock to add up to? The whole quote sounds like two or even three people talking. Clarification anybody, or maybe I should just ask the Okamis?

Very cool Phil. Thanks for the quote. I had no idea.

Okay, thanks for the blog. That explains the quote and turns me on to a new uke website. I guess 7 has meaning in Biblical Numerology, presumably positive connotations. I misinterpreted the meaning of "...I literally got the chills" as negative, as if to paraphrase "...it really creeped me out."

Much more clear now. It's nice to know how and why an artist or luthier puts in certain elements in their creations.

When I was considering getting a KoAloha concert I did some research on the web for them since no store had one e to try, and that web site came up. Being a Born again Christian that info really meant alot too me. When I got my concert I had some talking points about the uke other than just playing it.

I did not buy it for just that reason, but that was definitely a check mark in its favor.

Assuming this thread was prompted by a comment I made here, just wanted to say that this is exactly what I recall learning in the documentary I referred to (which I believe is this one, but haven't had time to re-watch to make sure).

Being an agnostic atheist, they hold very little meaning to me. But I think the logo design and headstock look very nice, and are well designed. I bought my KoAloha for the sounds it makes ;)

An "Agnostic Atheist"...? That's hedging your bets quite a bit isn't it ?:shaka:

CeeJay

I just want to say you all have been quite respectful so far in this thread, and I hope that continues. As a general rule, religion and politics are usually quite emotionally held beliefs and can lead to nasty arguments on both sides. Let's please continue said civility and respect in this discussion. Thanks for your cooperation.

For the record, count me in the I just like the sound their ukes make - and their wonderful customer service -- camp. I am not a religious person but I can understand where the KoAloha philosophy and design would be a draw for those that are.

I'm not religious at all, but I love my KoAlohas and the Okamis are great people. The symbolism doesn't mean much to me, but it's a nice headstock and logo. Most importantly, they sound fantastic.

Even though I was brought up an orthodox Jew and I'm a high priest by lineage, I'm not religious at all (atheist works for me). That being said, I'm a graphic designer and I find the logo and headstock to be excellent from a design point of view, they are beautiful ukes. Most members of the Westside Ukulele Ensemble I play with have one, which to me says a lot about the product, they're all advanced players (I'm still trying to catch up.)

I always thought the musubi sound hole looked like the mouth of a carp.

Last edited:
I'm not religious at all, but I love my KoAloha ukes and I want another!

I proudly and gladly support that company because they are wonderful people who provide excellent customer service and they make the best sounding ukes! I love the KK logo and the headstock, they just look cool to me. The symbolism doesn't mean anything to me but if it makes them happy, more power to them.

Okay, thanks for the blog. That explains the quote and turns me on to a new uke website. I guess 7 has meaning in Biblical Numerology, presumably positive connotations. I misinterpreted the meaning of "...I literally got the chills" as negative, as if to paraphrase "...it really creeped me out."

Much more clear now. It's nice to know how and why an artist or luthier puts in certain elements in their creations.

7 has many meanings. Some CHristian as above, some Hindu (Chakras), 7 colors for that matter... What I'm saying is that if you have or want a KoAloha but don't like their particular religious symbolism, find or create a meaning you can live with, even if that is, that it means nothing and just looks nice. It's all relative anyway.
Peace all!

A thing of beauty for sure:

Call me a little slow, but I just noticed the inside of the K's forms the outline of a ukulele body. It's like my KoAloha uke has a tiny KoAloha uke on the headstock! :D

Not to mention the playability and the sound. Oh the sound!

Call me a little slow, but I just noticed the inside of the K's forms the outline of a ukulele body. It's like my KoAloha uke has a tiny KoAloha uke on the headstock! :D
Ok, you're slow. :p I had never seen a close up shot to notice that either. Love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom