Pickup info for an amplification newbie

Nuke-ulele

Reaction score
No, not trucks! Pickups in our acoustic instruments. I have a new (to me) ukulele that the former owner had a K&K Twin Spot pickup installed in. I am no expert on pickups. I know it is a piezo type pickup and is not supposed to generally need a preamplifier. Why not?

My former ukulele had a Mi-Si Trio on-board preamp with a LR Baggs undersaddle transducer, which had a charger and everything. Why is it that this system required an on-board preamp and the piezo in the new ukulele does not need one? What are piezo systems all about?

Also, what should I do about amplification? I have a Blues Junior, which is obviously a true tube amplifier and is not designed for acoustic instruments. I actually plugged into it directly with the new uke today and it certainly worked fine, no feedback issues, etc., but the tube amp certainly colors the tone, and the signal seems super-trebly...is plugging into a tube amp dumb? Would a preamp allow me to modulate the juice and get a good true tone out of a tube amp?

I am not planning on buying anything anytime soon, but what should I know about the ideal situation for amplification with a piezo pickup? And could someone please explain the difference between a piezo system and any other typical popular system? What are acoustic amps all about, too?

I am just a novice with plugging in, and I don't want to make a fool of myself if I show up at open mic night and plug into the PA directly and get roaring feedback or lousy tone or something.

Sorry....I am pretty clueless! I know there are a million questions...sorry. Any techy amp nerds out there?

Also you might want to contact a local, Gerald Ross, as he performs regularly with amplification:

http://www.geraldross.com

Ric

Yeah, I know Gerald. The thing is, his Talsma tenor has the same Mi Si trio my old active on-board preamp system had, which is actually why I had Dave Talsma install the same system for me!

Thanks for the advice so far!

BUMP

I am in the same boat as Nuke. I have a passive pickup that i am currently playing through a crappy amp. I would like some of the same info and advice about external preamps, and which is the best one to use.

Top Bottom