Need some background music

UkeTX

Reaction score
I was not sure how to title this, but does anyone know of an uncomplicated way to download and play background music? I love playing my ukulele, and I sing and play for folks at the nursing homes, but it is just so much better with some drums and other instruments to play with me! I do take an amp with me when I play.

I have ChordPulse and it is great, however, it cannot be downloaded as mp3.

Any ideas of suggestions?

I was not sure how to title this, but does anyone know of an uncomplicated way to download and play background music? I love playing my ukulele, and I sing and play for folks at the nursing homes, but it is just so much better with some drums and other instruments to play with me! I do take an amp with me when I play.

I have ChordPulse and it is great, however, it cannot be downloaded as mp3.

Any ideas of suggestions?

If you mean backing tracks try here :http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

here's a scabby idea of what can be done .....oh ...sorry I've deleted it ....

Google karaoke backing tracks. I download the ones I want in the key I need. I started out playing them in iTunes from my laptop. Come out of the laptop headphone jack into your amp. Then play your Uke along with it.

I do senior adult / nursing home programs. I've added a lot more equipment, but you don't have to.

Google karaoke backing tracks. I download the ones I want in the key I need. I started out playing them in iTunes from my laptop. Come out of the laptop headphone jack into your amp. Then play your Uke along with it.

I do senior adult / nursing home programs. I've added a lot more equipment, but you don't have to.

Oh aye here's another link...good point barrybush..
www.karaoke-version.com

that's me ....done.

Yes backing tracks and I would love to see your "scabby idea" of what can be done. Thank you for your reply.

I did a search for "karaoke backing tracks" and several showed up so thanks for that info. You said that you could download in the key you need...I don't see that choice on any of these - but I will keep looking!

Ah ..the Karaoke Version tracks unfortunately are not free ......however once you purchase them you can change the key

Ceejay is right. The tracks are not free, but I think very reasonably priced. If the track isn't in the key I need, I get as close to it as I can , then use a program called Amazing Slow Downer. It is not free but well worth the money. You can raise or lower the track and save it as audio. If the track has background vocals, the most I will raise or lower is a whole step. To my ears, any more and I get the Mickey Mouse distortion . Hope that helps.

I use guitar backing tracks. It's mp3 format and I think it's about 3 bucks a song to customize a track. You can select key and edit out any parts you don't want (like some vocals and perhaps lead guitar, etc.) it's a little cheesy but it will probably suit your purpose. There is a musician if you look further, who does completely custom tracks for you himself, much cooler and natural sounding, but obviously more expensive. It's something that someone who gigs professionally might want if you were playing solo and wanted a little subtle percussion and maybe a bass line.

Not sure what you mean by more info on scabby idea. Are you asking what equipment I use in my programs?

No, he was referring to me and my post . I was going to post a link to one of my "scabby ideas" a demo me playing to Blues in Am (well sorta playing) from guitarbacking tracks.com....but I forgot that i was disillusioned with it and deleted it ...I may do it again for a larf.....

I did the whole backing track thing. Played in lots of bands but nowadays prefer to play solo but with backing to add percussion and a bass line so people can dance to it. That together with starting a Ukulele group and being a retired computer programmer led me to develop KaraUkey. Basically synchronised chords and lyrics on your screen with the backing tracks. - http://www.karaukey.com

I use it for Ukulele group jam sessions with a big screen and also use it for doing gigs etc. I had to be licenced to share it with my group so it is not free, but it's not expensive either. I keep adding to my song list. I now have around 400 songs.

Last edited:
I used to use band-in-a-box. It was a program I bought for my PC. You could enter all the chords and chord changes etc. it was highly configurable. Different instruments and drum sets. I think was less than $100 Canadian and well worth it because you make up backing tracks for absolutely every song you wanted to play, as long as you knew the chords. Unfortunately I don't have a PC anymore, but it might be available for Mac too.

If you use an iPad, the iReal Pro app allows you to download chord charts to thousands of songs. You can then change the key, make any changes, and adjust the tempo to suit. But what's really cool is you can buy style accompaniment packs that allow you to choose to add drums, bass, keys in a number of styles and tempos.

One of the developers is a bassist, and his bass tracks are really nice. The tracks follow the chords, so it's not "like the record", but it sounds nice, especially for jazz standards.

Top Bottom