Have you weighed your uke lately?

dickadcock

Reaction score
confluence of the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers, New Yo
I brought home a little concert model yesterday & I was taking its' vitals in order to fill in my database, which includes serial numbers, size, etc. of guitars and ukes, when I was surprised at the very small difference in weight from a tenor in the same line: 1/2 ounce.
This prompted me to re-weigh the tenor I got a month ago. It has gained 1/8 ounce. A second tenor I got a month ago is 1/4 oz. heavier.
Naturally I went on a weighing spree (slow day around the homestead) and got similar results. Natural hydration? Will they lose weight over the winter? (Will I?)
It is quite humid here at the moment, & just over a month ago, they were all 3 in a presumably dry warehouse in drought-stricken California (Morgan Hill).

Anyone keep tabs on ukes by weight? Is that potentially useful data? Am I stupid for not using grams the first time? (Well, yes. The scale I used is only accurate to 1/8 oz., but can measure in grams, which is more precise... now I note both.)
Thoughts?

Oh gosh, I thought I already recorded everything. Now you've given me something else to obsess over. I'm going to buy a new scale over the weekend.

Geez, now I'll be up all night.....

I'm sorry ...have I done what exactly ? And really ...is that the kind of question one gentleman asks another gentleman?

Well yes I have ...and the little bas%^&d is several stones plus more lighter than me !!!

Happy Now ?

Why ,by the way ?

I don't even have a functional bathroom scale, so I don't weigh anything. I would attribute any weight changes to changes in humidity. Or it could be like a mattress and it gains skin cells and dirt over the years adding weight to it.

You don't weigh anything ? You lucky you ........I only have to glance at a beer ...Boing...... 5 pounds ......

...you have a yucky mattress though ...you wanna burn that beggar ....

what is the purpose? More than the overall weight, balance is more important imo

The only way I could weigh my ukuleles is to load them up, take them to the grocery store, and use the scales in the produce section. Might be fun. :eek:

I brought home a little concert model yesterday & I was taking its' vitals in order to fill in my database, which includes serial numbers, size, etc. of guitars and ukes, when I was surprised at the very small difference in weight from a tenor in the same line: 1/2 ounce.
This prompted me to re-weigh the tenor I got a month ago. It has gained 1/8 ounce. A second tenor I got a month ago is 1/4 oz. heavier.
Naturally I went on a weighing spree (slow day around the homestead) and got similar results. Natural hydration? Will they lose weight over the winter? (Will I?)
It is quite humid here at the moment, & just over a month ago, they were all 3 in a presumably dry warehouse in drought-stricken California (Morgan Hill).

Anyone keep tabs on ukes by weight? Is that potentially useful data? Am I stupid for not using grams the first time? (Well, yes. The scale I used is only accurate to 1/8 oz., but can measure in grams, which is more precise... now I note both.)
Thoughts?

I'd guess your scale needs calibrated, or may have accuracy limits. Try weighing a calibrated brass weight and see what you get.

Date and time of day may be a factor. Minute changes in acceleration as your scale's location on earth moves toward and away from the direction the planet travels around the sun could be adding to and subtracting from the pull of gravity.

The date and time of the weight measurements would help correlate the different weights to your scales movement relative to the earth's path around the sun.

;)

Last edited:
I'd guess your scale needs calibrated, or may have accuracy limits. Try weighing a calibrated brass weight and see what you get.
I'm sure it could use calibrating, but this scale only allows zero-ing for container weight. I haven't seen brass weights in a very long time, but I did access the wisdom of the internet to find that a U.S. penny should weigh 2.5 grams. So the question was "will it round up or down?" Some pennies weighed in at 2, some at 3. ... but 8 of them came to 20 grams.
For now, I'll take it as close enough, for data which has no purpose. :)

Date and time of day may be a factor. Minute changes in acceleration as your scale's location on earth moves toward and away from the direction the planet travels around the sun could be adding to and subtracting from the pull of gravity.

The date and time of the weight measurements would help correlate the different weights to your scales movement relative to the earth's path around the sun.

;)

We both know you are right but this info could panic the general populace, or at the very least, cause a spate of very bad television shows.

:)

Don't you think there is enough spate of bad television shows already? I've been noticing that even seemingly very intelligent people seem to have the poorest taste in selection of shows....geez....maybe they're not as bright as I think....LOL

oh god, this thread seems to have gone to h-ll in a handbasket....so sorry....

I imagine there would be many variables, including:
* Humidity changes day-to-day (would fluctuate up and down)
* Oxidation of the finish, wood, frets, and strings (would make the uke heavier over time)
* Wearing away of the finish, frets, and strings (would make the uke lighter over time)
* Absorption of oil and dissolved solids in perspiration from the hands and body into the fretboard and body (would make the uke heavier over time)
* Fluctuations in air pressure and air density. If using a gravity/spring-loaded scale, any material which is non-compressible in practical terms (wood, metal, plastic, etc.) would read lighter on days of high air pressure, and heavier with low air pressure. This is because the density of the uke would remain constant against an atmosphere of higher or lower density, making the uke more or less "buoyant" in the air (same principle as things seeming lighter underwater than in the air). A counterweight scale would not show these fluctuations, since the counterweight is subject to the same buoyancy phenomenon and the scale actually compares mass rather than apparent weight.

Top Bottom