PDA

View Full Version : Have you weighed your uke lately?

dickadcock
06-25-2014, 03:34 PM
I brought home a little concert model yesterday & I was taking its' vitals in order to fill in my database, which includes serial numbers, size, etc. of guitars and ukes, when I was surprised at the very small difference in weight from a tenor in the same line: 1/2 ounce.
This prompted me to re-weigh the tenor I got a month ago. It has gained 1/8 ounce. A second tenor I got a month ago is 1/4 oz. heavier.
Naturally I went on a weighing spree (slow day around the homestead) and got similar results. Natural hydration? Will they lose weight over the winter? (Will I?)
It is quite humid here at the moment, & just over a month ago, they were all 3 in a presumably dry warehouse in drought-stricken California (Morgan Hill).

Anyone keep tabs on ukes by weight? Is that potentially useful data? Am I stupid for not using grams the first time? (Well, yes. The scale I used is only accurate to 1/8 oz., but can measure in grams, which is more precise... now I note both.)
Thoughts?

hoosierhiver
06-25-2014, 03:35 PM
You sir, are my kind of mad scientist. Very interesting.

kvehe
06-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Oh gosh, I thought I already recorded everything. Now you've given me something else to obsess over. I'm going to buy a new scale over the weekend.

Nickie
06-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Geez, now I'll be up all night.....

CeeJay
06-25-2014, 04:08 PM
I'm sorry ...have I done what exactly ? And really ...is that the kind of question one gentleman asks another gentleman?

Well yes I have ...and the little bas%^&d is several stones plus more lighter than me !!!

Happy Now ?

Why ,by the way ?

Dane
06-25-2014, 04:10 PM
I don't even have a functional bathroom scale, so I don't weigh anything. I would attribute any weight changes to changes in humidity. Or it could be like a mattress and it gains skin cells and dirt over the years adding weight to it.

CeeJay
06-25-2014, 04:18 PM
I don't even have a functional bathroom scale, so I don't weigh anything. I would attribute any weight changes to changes in humidity. Or it could be like a mattress and it gains skin cells and dirt over the years adding weight to it.

You don't weigh anything ? You lucky you ........I only have to glance at a beer ...Boing...... 5 pounds ......

...you have a yucky mattress though ...you wanna burn that beggar ....

Dan Uke
06-26-2014, 05:44 AM
what is the purpose? More than the overall weight, balance is more important imo

Down Up Dick
06-26-2014, 06:02 AM
I weighed my Tuba; it's heavy!

Ukejenny
06-26-2014, 06:11 AM
The only way I could weigh my ukuleles is to load them up, take them to the grocery store, and use the scales in the produce section. Might be fun. :o

Doc_J
06-26-2014, 06:42 AM
I brought home a little concert model yesterday & I was taking its' vitals in order to fill in my database, which includes serial numbers, size, etc. of guitars and ukes, when I was surprised at the very small difference in weight from a tenor in the same line: 1/2 ounce.
This prompted me to re-weigh the tenor I got a month ago. It has gained 1/8 ounce. A second tenor I got a month ago is 1/4 oz. heavier.
Naturally I went on a weighing spree (slow day around the homestead) and got similar results. Natural hydration? Will they lose weight over the winter? (Will I?)
It is quite humid here at the moment, & just over a month ago, they were all 3 in a presumably dry warehouse in drought-stricken California (Morgan Hill).

Anyone keep tabs on ukes by weight? Is that potentially useful data? Am I stupid for not using grams the first time? (Well, yes. The scale I used is only accurate to 1/8 oz., but can measure in grams, which is more precise... now I note both.)
Thoughts?

I'd guess your scale needs calibrated, or may have accuracy limits. Try weighing a calibrated brass weight and see what you get.

dickadcock
06-26-2014, 07:29 AM
The only way I could weigh my ukuleles is to load them up, take them to the grocery store, and use the scales in the produce section. Might be fun. :o
It would be fun if we ALL do it! You know, like a movement.

kkimura
06-26-2014, 07:47 AM
Date and time of day may be a factor. Minute changes in acceleration as your scale's location on earth moves toward and away from the direction the planet travels around the sun could be adding to and subtracting from the pull of gravity.

The date and time of the weight measurements would help correlate the different weights to your scales movement relative to the earth's path around the sun.

;)

dickadcock
06-26-2014, 08:11 AM
I'd guess your scale needs calibrated, or may have accuracy limits. Try weighing a calibrated brass weight and see what you get.
I'm sure it could use calibrating, but this scale only allows zero-ing for container weight. I haven't seen brass weights in a very long time, but I did access the wisdom of the internet to find that a U.S. penny should weigh 2.5 grams. So the question was "will it round up or down?" Some pennies weighed in at 2, some at 3. ... but 8 of them came to 20 grams.
For now, I'll take it as close enough, for data which has no purpose. :)

dickadcock
06-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Date and time of day may be a factor. Minute changes in acceleration as your scale's location on earth moves toward and away from the direction the planet travels around the sun could be adding to and subtracting from the pull of gravity.

The date and time of the weight measurements would help correlate the different weights to your scales movement relative to the earth's path around the sun.

;)

We both know you are right but this info could panic the general populace, or at the very least, cause a spate of very bad television shows.

:)

Ukejenny
06-26-2014, 09:16 AM
It would be fun if we ALL do it! You know, like a movement.

Sounds like a plan! :shaka:

Nickie
06-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Don't you think there is enough spate of bad television shows already? I've been noticing that even seemingly very intelligent people seem to have the poorest taste in selection of shows....geez....maybe they're not as bright as I think....LOL

Nickie
06-26-2014, 09:22 AM
oh god, this thread seems to have gone to h-ll in a handbasket....so sorry....

aarondminnick
06-26-2014, 09:28 AM
I imagine there would be many variables, including:
* Humidity changes day-to-day (would fluctuate up and down)
* Oxidation of the finish, wood, frets, and strings (would make the uke heavier over time)
* Wearing away of the finish, frets, and strings (would make the uke lighter over time)
* Absorption of oil and dissolved solids in perspiration from the hands and body into the fretboard and body (would make the uke heavier over time)
* Fluctuations in air pressure and air density. If using a gravity/spring-loaded scale, any material which is non-compressible in practical terms (wood, metal, plastic, etc.) would read lighter on days of high air pressure, and heavier with low air pressure. This is because the density of the uke would remain constant against an atmosphere of higher or lower density, making the uke more or less "buoyant" in the air (same principle as things seeming lighter underwater than in the air). A counterweight scale would not show these fluctuations, since the counterweight is subject to the same buoyancy phenomenon and the scale actually compares mass rather than apparent weight.

dickadcock
06-26-2014, 09:40 AM
aarondminnick, you make it sound like, in addition to my scale & hygrometer, I might need a barometer. (How about a "clean room"?)
Let me guess, you're with OSU, right?
:)

aarondminnick
06-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Haha, guilty as charged!

Dane
06-26-2014, 09:54 AM
You don't weigh anything ? You lucky you ........I only have to glance at a beer ...Boing...... 5 pounds ......

...you have a yucky mattress though ...you wanna burn that beggar ....
If only, I'm currently carrying around an extra 10 pounds of fat that I need to swap out for some muscle.

Dearman
06-27-2014, 01:09 AM
If you are a big data junkie, track it as a percentage of weight. It will add weight slower as it reaches it's saturation point. Higher temps speed the process. Your weather may not stay humid long enough to reach the saturation point but you can do the same experiment with a humidifier. It will have small changes in shape as well.

Pukulele Pete
06-27-2014, 03:49 AM

Please don't do this. Last week I had to wait in line to use the scale , the person in front was weighing 4 violins.

Down Up Dick
06-30-2014, 05:25 AM
Have you tried weighing your Ukes under water? They say you get a more accurate measurement that way.

Huckleberry
06-30-2014, 08:58 AM
What has my Uke been stuffing on??

Well, I'm sure Jenny Craig has a plan.

Dearman
07-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Have you tried weighing your Ukes under water? They say you get a more accurate measurement that way.

Measuring the water displaced by a submerged object gives volume, a floating object would be weight. Submerging it would probably get it to absorb more quickly though but your labels and metals might not like the water.

Down Up Dick
07-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Well, a few labels soaked and some metal parts rusted would be worth the loss; one MUST know the exact weight of his ukulele!

Dearman
07-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Well, a few labels and metal parts rusted would be worth the loss; one has to know the exact weight of his ukulele!

Madness often goes with brilliance!

Hammond
07-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Sounds interesting. I think one more factor to consider in the calculation is the moon position at the moment the uke been weighed. In a full moon night, the uke should be pulled up by the moon's gravity a little that make it lighter.

Down Up Dick
07-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Yeah, and the moon would probably affect the water in the weighing pool--cause a high tide or something. Wouldn't that also make the Uke lighter? Oh my Gosh!

Hammond
07-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Yeah, and the moon would probably affect the water in the weighing pool--cause a high tide or something. Wouldn't that also make the Uke lighter? Oh my Gosh!

Wow, is that a double effect? The moon + water.

Or triple? + air pressure.

Or...

Back to the topic, I will find a way to try to weigh my uke

Dearman
07-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Back to the topic, I will find a way to try to weigh my uke

hang the uke strap in your picture from a fish scale?

Rllink
07-04-2014, 04:00 AM
I've not weighed my ukulele itself, but I did weigh the uke in the case. When I travel I throw it in my check on luggage and I wanted to know how much it weighed because I was curious how much of the total weight of the suitcase was uke and uke stuff, and how much was my other stuff. Found out that the whole thing, including the folding stand and all the crap that I seem to think I need but that I never use, weighs five pounds.

ksiegel
07-08-2014, 01:51 PM
The only time I remember weighing a uke was when I had the Road Show traveling Uke - I was utterly amazed at how light it was, so I put it on a postal scale.

As to the adjustment in Dick's ukes, a lot of the variation probably has to do with the volume and rate of flow of Cohoes Falls. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__w6PNDYXRU)

For most of the rest of us, don't forget distance relative to Sea Level - which is not the same this year as last, regardless of any change in position of the instrument.