Question on proper hold while sitting

haertig

Reaction score
Beginner 101 question: I am having a few problems that I think might be related to how I'm holding the uke (sitting position). It feels like I'm fighting to support the neck and work my fingers at the same time.

I've read to use your strumming arm to hold the uke against your body and that's what I think I'm trying to do. But that doesn't seem to keep the neck in place while I'm playing. Usually I find my strumming/plucking location has slipped down to where I am over the sound hole. And I find tension/stiffness in my fretting hand as I try to use that to keep the neck from dropping while moving my fingers to the correct fret. I am placing my fretting hand so that the thumb is behind he neck, pretty much pushing against the center of the neck with the tip of the thumb.

I don't seem to have a problem playing cords. Sometimes a little bit when moving from chord to chord though. Once I'm solidly on the chord, the uke feels supported OK. However, when playing scales I'm having issues of the neck not feling supported, and I find myself using the non-thumb fingers of my plucking hand to support the uke body while the adjacent thumb does the plucking. Other times I seem to be trying - and failing - to use my fretting hand to both support the neck and fret the notes.

Am I doing something basically wrong in the hold, or do I just need to practice more until the awkwardness goes away? I got to the point where I was feeling pretty good playing chords, then when I started in on scales the difficult-to-support-the-neck problem came back.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions!

What size uke are you playing ?

Have you considered a strap or a UkeLeash?

Seconding the strap recommendation. I was the same way at first, strumming chords was no big deal but once I started fingerpicking I ran into trouble. I resisted a strap forever, then tried a friend's uke with a strap and - there was no going back, it made such a difference. I got strap buttons installed on all of my ukes that same day!

Thanks for the replies.

It is a tenor uke.

I did not realize that straps would be useful while sitting (I haven't even dared tried playing standing yet!) I see several types of straps available. One that uses pins mounted on the uke, one that goes around your neck then under the uke and clips into the hole in front, and a "mobius strap". Which type would be best and most appropriate for a sitting position? Are there other types I haven't found about about yet too?

haertig ...believe me a strap while sitting will not help.....a guitarist ..with a much bulkier and heavier instrument will not strap on a guitar while sat down....

The ukulele is a a smaller instrument in all dimensions and therefore needs to be moved about whilst you are playing it to allow your fingers maximum access to the
optimum positions on the fret......whatever size Uke you are playing ....even if only slightly .

If you want to wear a strap as a precaution against dropping the instrument ,then that is fine ...but allow yourself a small leeway of movement because as you move up and down the neck you will need to rotate or move the neck slightly to accommodate your finger movements and accurate placement on the frets ..

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm not worried about dropping the uke. That would be difficult for even a klutz like me to accomplish. I'm just having some problems supporting the neck of the uke (or at least I *think* that's my problem). A strap was mentioned as one possible solution, but I am most certainly open to any and all potential solutions, even "practice more and you'll get the hang of it". This could be simply a lack of enough practice on my part, or it could be because I'm doing something incorrectly. I don't know which at this point, which is why I asked.

haertig ...believe me a strap while sitting will not help.....a guitarist ..with a much bulkier and heavier instrument will not strap on a guitar while sat down....
I respectfully disagree. The larger body of the guitar helps position it in playing position more easily than a uke. I find a strap helps me even when seated to position the uke higher on my chest and support the neck. Since you are mainly after the neck support, I would recommend a traditional strap with pins or a single pin and tied to the headstock. Or if you don't want to install an end pin, you could try the UkeLeash half-strap.

Or if you don't want to install an end pin, you could try the UkeLeash half-strap.
No worries about pin installation. Since I'm new to this, I only have an inexpensive Kala laminated, not a family heirloom that I'd be afraid to deface. Pins sticking out of the thing are fine with me, if it helps.

I have a guitar strap attached on a guitar strap button on the underside of the heel and on the pick up. Makes life easy. I went through mental anguish on whether to do that on my custom tenor. Really glad I did.

Another here recommending a strap of some sort. I use one standing or sitting.

A strap certainly won't hurt to try but keep practising, you'll get used to holding it comfortably before you know it. Strum away and enjoy yourself :)

:)
I respectfully disagree. The larger body of the guitar helps position it in playing position more easily than a uke. I find a strap helps me even when seated to position the uke higher on my chest and support the neck. Since you are mainly after the neck support, I would recommend a traditional strap with pins or a single pin and tied to the headstock. Or if you don't want to install an end pin, you could try the UkeLeash half-strap.

...and I respectfully disagree back at you ;)...but I am not falling out about it either..... I do not use or find the need to use a strap ....possibly because the uke is so easy to hold compared to say a Balalaika.....

whatever floats your boat ...and I did further into my post say/write that if the gentleman (lady?) wanted to wear a strap then fine...

Here's another vote for a strap. When I first started playing, I struggled to feel comfortable holding the uke. I got a UkeLeash, which made a huge difference. Later on, I got a uke with a strap button and bought an adapter that converted the UkeLeash half strap to a full strap.

I'll agree and disagree. I have straps on all my ukes except my concert flea. I absolutely love them when standing. They take a lot of strain off both my arms/hands. I find they do help when sitting but I struggle to find the position in which my uke is comfortable. I want it off my lap and free of boobage, which can be a challenge with my ample endowment (ymmv). I would, in the future, watch what kind of material you get for your strap because some are a little slippery and while they hold up your uke, depending on what you are wearing, they can slide a little around your neck with the weight of the uke a the neck of uke can move up and down (the balance of the weight of your uke can vary depending on strap placement (end pin to bottom side of head or to headstock) and can vary with different ukes, and different sizes. Just a heads up b4u drill.

If a particular instrument has strap pins, I use a strap when sitting.

If a particular instrument has no strap pins, I sit there and struggle to hold it and usually lean back in my chair with my feet up on the desk by the computer to hold it.

Many guitar teachers recommend the use of a strap when playing seated. It means that one plays/practices with the instrument at a consistent height regardless of whether one is sitting or standing.

There are no rules where uke is concerned. If a strap would help, then there is no reason to struggle on without one. Try it, see how it works for you.

I have recently started to use a strap, and am finding that it really helps a lot...I can concentrate on picking more without worrying about the uke sliding around.

Top Bottom