PDA

View Full Version : Ain't She Sweet - Roy Smeck arrangement - Test Drive of 1927 Gibson soprano

johnnyfoodstamp
06-26-2014, 06:00 AM
Well, the gut strings on the ole Gibson have settled and I thought this would be a fitting song for a true "test drive". Here is Roy Smeck's arrangement of "Ain't She Sweet" from the album The Magic Ukulele of Roy Smeck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1DABSHgPp8

UPDATE:

A new Gibson soprano arrived in the mail today. I did the same song for comparison. Same strings. I think the new one sounds better though!

Skinny Money McGee
06-26-2014, 06:41 AM
Very nice job, loved it!

La Perdrix
06-26-2014, 06:48 AM
t'as a dans le sang, as we say in french... (its in your vein...)

Ukeval
06-26-2014, 07:38 AM
great (sound and playing), I have the project to put gut strings on the tenor gibson I have ;-)

coolkayaker1
06-26-2014, 10:10 AM
You're one of the best amateurs on UU.

Where can I get my copy of the CD, The Magic Ukulele of JohnnyFoodStamps! Is what I wanna know.

johnnyfoodstamp
06-26-2014, 10:22 AM
You're one of the best amateurs on UU.

Where can I get my copy of the CD, The Magic Ukulele of JohnnyFoodStamps! Is what I wanna know.

How did you know that is what I was going to call it??? lol

Thanks mate! I'll let you know when I get something recorded. For now my old CD of crappy songs is available on iTune and Spotify (for free).

johnnyfoodstamp
06-26-2014, 10:23 AM
great (sound and playing), I have the project to put gut strings on the tenor gibson I have ;-)

Thanks Ukeval! I've watched your videos a lot. I especially like the baritone pieces. I look forward to hearing the tenor with the guts! :)

johnnyfoodstamp
06-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Check out this audio sample of the new Gibson with guts. This recording sounds, in my opinion, perfect. Just like Roy (sound wise not playing wise!) :)

https://soundcloud.com/johnny-foodstamp/aint-she-sweet

johnnyfoodstamp
06-26-2014, 10:29 AM
t'as a dans le sang, as we say in french... (its in your vein...)

Very cool. I doubt it though. I'm not a natural, so to speak. It's all forced!!!! :)

La Perdrix
06-26-2014, 10:32 AM
it does not look like...!

johnnyfoodstamp
06-26-2014, 10:38 AM
it does not look like...!

It's all in the Gibson. That uke is possessed!!! :P

La Perdrix
06-26-2014, 10:56 AM
by the ghosts of Roy Smeck fingers...

johnnyfoodstamp
06-26-2014, 11:04 AM
by the ghosts of Roy Smeck fingers...

LOL. I know it sounds ridiculous but I often like to attach silly made up stories to my ukes just for fun. So I pretend that I traded the Devil my soul for it at the Crossroads and now I can play like Roy Smeck. Just a fun little story I tell myself in my head when I play it. I use to own a UB-2 and I used to pretend that it was the long lost UB-2 that George Formby lost during the war.

Isn't imagination fun!! :) lol

La Perdrix
06-26-2014, 11:25 AM
imagination is a mesestimate power (forgive my poor english) !

johnnyfoodstamp
06-26-2014, 12:03 PM
So I got another Gibson soprano in the mail today... hehehe! EDIT: I took the video down of the new Gibby because I want to do a different song with it and use the nice mic and really get a solid recording. This uke is too nice.

La Perdrix
06-26-2014, 12:18 PM
well, just listened both of your videos, both ukes sound very good, but I also prefer the new one... and very elegant playing...!