PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate ukulele Name

katysax
06-26-2014, 07:34 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/21-Wood-Acoustic-4-String-Ukulele-Guitar-Rainbow-Pattern-Kids-Practice-/310996308668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4868d312bc

Whoever came up with the "brand" name for this uke should be fired. But it sure is funny and probably appropriate.

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 07:50 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/21-Wood-Acoustic-4-String-Ukulele-Guitar-Rainbow-Pattern-Kids-Practice-/310996308668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4868d312bc

Whoever came up with the "brand" name for this uke should be fired. But it sure is funny and probably appropriate.

prob trying to sound like KALA and failing at it, like walmart dr pepper ripp off is called 'dr thunder' same kind of thing
but either way they should have thought about what they name may actually mean. Maybe they should have used
Manikai in stead.

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 07:55 AM

Our products, which are carefully and meticulously crafted, are the combination of excellence in the design of each radian, the processing of each detail, and the selection of each part.
We are perfectionists, expecting to create the sound of nature, and dedicated to making the best instrument to music, so the birth of each ukulele is to convey our faith.

wooooo man i feel sorry for the poor sucker who got fooled by this piece of kaka

Vagrant
06-26-2014, 07:57 AM
The description's good too - I particularly like:

"A folk saying goes that it is a cute instrument which sounds pleasant and is easy to learn, suitable for both adults and children, and it can inspire the potential of rhythm as well. There is no song you can’t play as long as it’s in your hand."

My, that's one pithy folk saying, and certainly one I remember my grandmother saying to me.
My other favourite bit is that, after choosing the wood and making the uke, they listen to the sound of each 'calmly'.

That's what puts me off Kala and Ohana, all that hysterical listening they do...

hoosierhiver
06-26-2014, 08:00 AM
Sounds like a direct translation from google translate. As for the uke it looks very Studio 54.

Vagrant
06-26-2014, 08:05 AM
God bless Google translate. It is a thing of beauty though. I love it too when cheap manufacturers try to make crappy materials and missing parts sound like bonuses... "our soundboards are made from the finest extruded Colombian polyvinyl" (iss plastic innit) or "our decision not to fit the uke with unnecessary parts makes it much easier to keep in tune and play" (iss go' no strings hassit)

janeray1940
06-26-2014, 08:07 AM
"the birth of each ukulele is to convey our faith."

Uh-oh. Here we go again with religion! :) :) :)

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 08:17 AM
The description's good too - I particularly like:

"A folk saying goes that it is a cute instrument which sounds pleasant and is easy to learn, suitable for both adults and children, and it can inspire the potential of rhythm as well. There is no song you can’t play as long as it’s in your hand."

My, that's one pithy folk saying, and certainly one I remember my grandmother saying to me.
My other favourite bit is that, after choosing the wood and making the uke, they listen to the sound of each 'calmly'.

That's what puts me off Kala and Ohana, all that hysterical listening they do...

Isn't that kamaka's modo i thought it was?
Screw kamaka im getting a kaka!

PereBourik
06-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Isn't that kamaka's modo i thought it was?
Screw kamaka im getting a kaka!

"Try our Hawaiian koa wood model the Kaka-maka."

KoaDependent
06-26-2014, 08:32 AM
We are perfectionists, expecting to create the sound of nature,

Is there anything more natural than the sound of kaka?

RichM
06-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Hey, at least it's truth in advertising! I wonder if OldePhart will try to polish it...

dickadcock
06-26-2014, 08:41 AM
I, for one, am very impressed by their being up front by calling it kaka...

. . . ... so, how many do we order?

;)

hoosierhiver
06-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Kind of looks like the frets are painted gold.

hoosierhiver
06-26-2014, 09:04 AM
It just looks so 70's to me....68230

PhilUSAFRet
06-26-2014, 09:07 AM
If we're lucky, they'll come out with a Poo Poo model..............that would make it a KaKa Poo Poo :rofl:

Ukejenny
06-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Change it to Kama and paint a chameleon on it!

"kama kama kama kama kama chameleon, you come and goooooo, you come and goooooooooo..."

Cheeso
06-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Reminds me of the food stand called "Toss My Salad." Ummm...no!

Dane
06-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a kaka

SailingUke
06-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Might make a great #2 ukulele.

katysax
06-26-2014, 10:20 AM
I knew I could count on the UU community to come up with some good comments. Its a good thing I did not have a drink in my mouth when I read them.

mm stan
06-26-2014, 10:28 AM
I cannot even think how Lame Horse got it's name either...:)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
06-26-2014, 10:47 AM
I think it would be the perfect uke to hang in a bathroom.

LloydAZ
06-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Is there anything more natural than the sound of kaka?
A great instrument to play while you're sitting on the throne.

Telperion
06-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Might make a great #2 ukulele.

Nice one, Sailing! As katysax said, I'm glad I didn't have a drink in my mouth when reading this thread.

Maybe they could line up an endorsement with the Brazilian soccer player, Kaka.

Jacman Rasta Bicycle
06-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Just recently i called a well know ukulele luthier and asked if he would be able to meet my strict specifications for a custom build.
I told him i needed the panel to be made of basswood sticker, the bottom side board to be made of basswood & the fingerboard material to be maple dyeing.

There was a long pause, then the line went dead. :confused:

mketom
06-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Looks kinda heavy doody to me...

OldePhart
06-26-2014, 02:23 PM
hey, at least it's truth in advertising! I wonder if oldephart will try to polish it...

bwaaaa-haaaa

Ukulele Eddie
06-26-2014, 02:29 PM
I think somebody should order one and make it a prize in the next big Seasons competition!

Luke El U
06-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Uh . . . Er . . . It's Chinese. Almost all of my students in China have them, though a somewhat better make than this disco version. When I first heard of it, I tried to tell the retailer about the name, but it didn't seem to register. Kaka doesn't mean anything in Chinese, it's most certainly an attempt to sound like some kind of "K" brand.

For their more refined Kaka models, they paid about the equivalent of $50USD. I tried to get them to invest in the Chinese made "Ponos" ranging from about 80-160USD. An incredible buy considering what the same would cost in the U.S. My students are all well-off by Chinese standards, and a few are rather wealthy, but they just can't bring themselves to pay more for an ukulele. So, for the time being, we're stuck in the Kaka.

Dane
06-26-2014, 03:02 PM
So, for the time being, we're stuck in the Kaka.

Up to your neck in KaKa?

stringy
06-26-2014, 03:15 PM
prob trying to sound like KALA.

A Chinese import brand trying to sound like another Chinese import brand. Freaking Brilliant.

1931jim
06-26-2014, 04:04 PM
A great instrument to play while you're sitting on the throne.
Jammin' in the John.
Dane said earlier """Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a kaka""" Sometimes my singing sounds like kaka.

Luke El U
06-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Up to your neck in KaKa?

Yes, all the way up to our nuts.

katysax
06-26-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm seriously thinking I ought to buy one of these. I see they have several others for sale on ebay, but I like this one for $35. It even comes with a gig bag that has the name on it. It would be worth it just to take something that ridiculous out with a uke group. The gig bag with the name embroidered is the piece de la resistance.

The more I look at them the more I want one. The big question is which pattern. In addition to the rainbow pattern there is the girls pattern, the pattern with no name that is orange with a lot of checks, the flower pattern and a few others. I really want that gig bag.

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Uh . . . Er . . . It's Chinese. Almost all of my students in China have them, though a somewhat better make than this disco version. When I first heard of it, I tried to tell the retailer about the name, but it didn't seem to register. Kaka doesn't mean anything in Chinese, it's most certainly an attempt to sound like some kind of "K" brand.

For their more refined Kaka models, they paid about the equivalent of $50USD. I tried to get them to invest in the Chinese made "Ponos" ranging from about 80-160USD. An incredible buy considering what the same would cost in the U.S. My students are all well-off by Chinese standards, and a few are rather wealthy, but they just can't bring themselves to pay more for an ukulele. So, for the time being, we're stuck in the Kaka.
i thought it was just trying to be a kala knock off