I put them on my new tenor and than
tried to tune it up something is wrong
the tension is too tight and the g string
popped off. it's supposed to be one set
for soprano concert and tenor but it seems
it's not properly gauged or something
very sad and disappointed can't play my
uke today now

Sorry to hear your uke is out if service. Sounds like you got a bad set, or gauging. Let the Dave Hepple at Oasis know, he'll take care of you. In the mean time go get some Martins locally.

I've got Oasis strings on most of my tenors. Tension should be similar to other Fluorocarbon strings.

If you have a high G set, you could use the spare A string for a lower tension G.

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Sorry to hear your uke is out if service. Sounds like you got a bad set, or gauging. Let the Dave Hepple at Oasis know, he'll take care of you. In the mean time go get some Martins locally.

I've got Oasis strings on most of my tenors. Tension should be similar to other Fluorocarbon strings.

If you have a high G set, you could use the spare A string for a lower tension G.

thanks for the tip I'll email them
tonight ya the tension is so tight
it's not correct at all. I'm going to
get new strings tomorrow hopefully
pretty sad

Newportlocal
06-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Last time that happened to me my battery was getting low in my clip on tuner. Sometimes it is the knot you tied. You may have just gone up an octave. It happens. Sorry, it happened to you. I was one of the lucky many and got to test those strings out. I bought a few sets of low G warm. I just checked with my sets. When I cut them in half there is enough for two sets per package. Hopefully, you have enough length to try another G string. I have been where you are at. It can get very frustrating. I have had to step away from a uke before and revisit it later in the day. I have two full and one half set of low G oasis warms for a total of 5 sets. If you want to send me a prepaid self addressed envelope I will let you have them free. Let me know. It will be o.k., but like I said I have been in your spot before. More than once I had to drive somewhere local and buy strings I didn't like to play until I could get replacements.

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Last time that happened to me my battery was getting low in my clip on tuner. Sometimes it is the knot you tied. You may have just gone up an octave. It happens. Sorry, it happened to you. I was one of the lucky many and got to test those strings out. I bought a few sets of low G warm. I just checked with my sets. When I cut them in half there is enough for two sets per package. Hopefully, you have enough length to try another G string. I have been where you are at. It can get very frustrating. I have had to step away from a uke before and revisit it later in the day. I have two full and one half set of low G oasis warms for a total of 5 sets. If you want to send me a prepaid self addressed envelope I will let you have them free. Let me know. It will be o.k., but like I said I have been in your spot before. More than once I had to drive somewhere local and buy strings I didn't like to play until I could get replacements.
thanks I appreciate it.
I'm going to try to replace the g
with the other one I cut and see but
the whole set seems so tight :(
I'm going to buy cheapos when I can
get to the music store than I'll probably
go with Aquila this experience has led back
back to wishing I left the stock aquillas on
the tension was just right with them.

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 02:20 PM

also I just emailed oasis and let them know

Newportlocal
06-26-2014, 02:38 PM
thanks I appreciate it.
I'm going to try to replace the g
with the other one I cut and see but
the whole set seems so tight :(
I'm going to buy cheapos when I can
get to the music store than I'll probably
go with Aquila this experience has led back
back to wishing I left the stock aquillas on
the tension was just right with them.

Good luck and fingers crossed.:D

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Good luck and fingers crossed.:D

i replaced the G string with the other one i cut in half and left more slack when i tied it. It tuns up and seems to have stretched out (after rocking them side to side) and doesn't seem as tense but overall still very tight and matched up against my soprano it almost sounds equal i actually tuned all the strings down so it would not put tension on the strings and will be getting a new set. Oasis wrote me back and is willing to give me a new set to try so im thankful for that very nice customer service.

I think its possible i got a bad set, because this tension is so tight im worried the bridge will fly off (its that bad). I'll probably buy a cheap set of la bella strings tomorrow at a local shop to hold me over until i can get these replacement sets, i really wanted to try to see if these would have mellowed out my tenor even more so. Will see when i get the new set. Thanks for all the tips i guess ill be playing my baritone for the night.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
06-26-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the strings. I've installed dozens of sets without any problem. If you are used to Aquilas, I think you're just having a hard time getting adjusted to the higher tension and smoother feel of fluorocarbon strings.

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the strings. I've installed dozens of sets without any problem. If you are used to Aquilas, I think you're just having a hard time getting adjusted to the higher tension and smoother feel of fluorocarbon strings.

i just put living water high D flurocarbon strings on my baritone no problem and they sound perfect.
These are overly tight, and way way way bright like a soprano in D tuning, i feel something is off with this set.
I got them to get some thing with a warmer tone i find aquilas actually tight and way to bright but compared to these
they seem mellow and if they sound mellow in general compared to a string something must be wrong with the set.
Still not sure how this 'warm' set is considered 'warm' im getting very very bright and high tension to almost a dangerous
to the uke level.

Booli
06-26-2014, 04:03 PM
As per:

You may have just gone up an octave. It happens.

Just in case this might be what is the cause, I suggest you get the instuner app for your iOS device.

It's $4 but well worth it. I find it indespensible (yes I also have the P/W NS Micro :))

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/instuner-chromatic-tuner/id528923171?mt=8

There are many tuning modes (I think 10 or more, including a strobe tuner), which you can chose from, so it's like having many tuners in one, and it will use either the mic input of your device OR if you have something like the Apogee Jam or iRig it will use that too.

The main reason I use it is for restringing, and specifically to make sure I am in the correct octave, for low G, that is

G3, C4, E4, A4, (or G4, C4, E4, A4 for re-entrant C6 tuning)

and it SHOWS you the octave number along with the note, and +/- 50 cents as it responds incrementally/chromatically to the pitch of what it hears.

see pics enclosed (click to enlarge):

this is on the iPad

this is on the iPhone/iPod Touch

Even if you don't use it all the time, it will help you when you need it and the battery in your clip-on tuner is dead and you have no spares.

-Booli

iDavid
06-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Which tenor set would have the lowest tension?

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 06:28 PM
As per:

Just in case this might be what is the cause, I suggest you get the instuner app for your iOS device.

It's $4 but well worth it. I find it indespensible (yes I also have the P/W NS Micro :))

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/instuner-chromatic-tuner/id528923171?mt=8

There are many tuning modes (I think 10 or more, including a strobe tuner), which you can chose from, so it's like having many tuners in one, and it will use either the mic input of your device OR if you have something like the Apogee Jam or iRig it will use that too.

The main reason I use it is for restringing, and specifically to make sure I am in the correct octave, for low G, that is

G3, C4, E4, A4, (or G4, C4, E4, A4 for re-entrant C6 tuning)

and it SHOWS you the octave number along with the note, and +/- 50 cents as it responds incrementally/chromatically to the pitch of what it hears.

see pics enclosed (click to enlarge):

this is on the iPad

this is on the iPhone/iPod Touch

Even if you don't use it all the time, it will help you when you need it and the battery in your clip-on tuner is dead and you have no spares.

-Booli

thanks for the tip i appreciate it!
I think in this case it was something to do with the actual strings
i think somehow i got a bad set which the strings are not the proper gauges their labeled they all except for the C string pretty much look about the same size which i find suspect. Mistakes are made ill just try another set and see what happens.

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Which tenor set would have the lowest tension?

On the stock aquilas which came on the uke it had nice tension not to taught but not floppy
it felt like normal tension. These strings are 63" i believe and enough for 2 sets which you
cut in half for 2 sets, but their supposed to be able to be used on soprano, concert and tenor...
but im finding at least from this set its way to much tension and the string gauges are too thin
for a larger uke, which is why i believe i was just giving a dud/mistake set.

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 08:38 PM

is the tension supposed to be tighter
than nylon the strings have seemed
to have stretched and settled in a bit
and my clip on is recognizing the pitches
now is it possible it was just stretching
so bad that the tuner could not find the pitch?
the tension is still very tight much tighter
than it was with the aquila strings I'm stm
a bit worried about the tension being too
tight now the uke sound very bright trying
to understand how these are "warm"
I still think I got a bad or mislabeled set

iamesperambient
06-26-2014, 10:28 PM
is the tension supposed to be tighter
than nylon the strings have seemed
to have stretched and settled in a bit
and my clip on is recognizing the pitches
now is it possible it was just stretching
so bad that the tuner could not find the pitch?
the tension is still very tight much tighter
than it was with the aquila strings I'm stm
a bit worried about the tension being too
tight now the uke sound very bright trying
to understand how these are "warm"
I still think I got a bad or mislabeled set

seems other people feel oasis
has high tension also so far just not
happy with the tension :/ gonna have
to just order living waters for the tenor
their my favorite string for my baritone
I'm going to pick up cheapos tomorrow
and get these off!

mm stan
06-26-2014, 11:27 PM
I have bought alot of sets of oasis and I have no tension problems on the any ones on the set...someone has mentioned the possible cause but you may have not understood what he meant
Many beginners and even long time players may have sometimes tuned the strings a octave up ...it means if your tuned your G string pass the G and went all the way up to the
next G note....which would explain why your string broke and a higher tension...you have enough in a set for two ukuleles...restring it again at a lower G and see ...
Everyone may make mistakes, but I would not complain publically so fast until I really knew it was the strings...as everyone here has stated we have no problems with the string tension
David was kind enough to send you strings even if you may had made a mistake, and this is how you repay him...
Oasis are generally better on heavier built ukes as they are brighter as they balance things out and not laminates...

OldePhart
06-27-2014, 02:28 AM
And just FYI if you have tuned an octave high the strings are pretty much ruined. I actually tuned the C string on one of my sopranos a full octave up several weeks ago - it's easy to do when you have different ukes strung with different tensions. This was a set of Ko'Olau Gold strings on a soprano and I'd been playing heavy fluorocarbon strings on a tenor for the weeks preceding the change. Tuned right past the correct C and on up as I was initially winding the strings. When I realized my mistake a few minutes later I tuned back down but the string never would intonate correctly and I had to replace it.

John

OldePhart
06-27-2014, 02:40 AM
On the stock aquilas which came on the uke it had nice tension not to taught but not floppy
it felt like normal tension. These strings are 63" i believe and enough for 2 sets which you
cut in half for 2 sets, but their supposed to be able to be used on soprano, concert and tenor...
but im finding at least from this set its way to much tension and the string gauges are too thin
for a larger uke, which is why i believe i was just giving a dud/mistake set.

This doesn't make any sense. If the string gauges were too thin you would have lower tension for a given pitch at a given scale length. Fluorocarbon strings are definitely thinner than nylon for a given tuning (because they are more dense) because the laws of physics don't change...for a given material and tension...longer scale length or thicker material means lower pitch...shorter scale length or thinner material equals higher pitch.

Flip that formula around and you find that strings that are thinner will need less tension to tune to a particular pitch than strings that that are thicker but of the same material. My usual complaint against "one size fits all scale lengths" strings is that they are way to floppy and wimpy on tenor.

If this is the first time you've used fluorocarbon strings I'd bet dollars to donuts that you tuned an octave high; nothing to be ashamed of, it's very easy to do especially if using light gage strings on a tenor. I think you said one of the strings snapped? If so, that's almost a guarantee that it was tuned an octave up...fluorocarbon is pretty tough stuff, much harder to break than nylon.

Fluorocarbons do feel a little higher tension than nylons (mostly because they are thinner so hurt more til you get used to them) but not drastically so.

John

Jon Moody
06-27-2014, 03:56 AM
This doesn't make any sense. If the string gauges were too thin you would have lower tension for a given pitch at a given scale length. Fluorocarbon strings are definitely thinner than nylon for a given tuning (because they are more dense) because the laws of physics don't change...for a given material and tension...longer scale length or thicker material means lower pitch...shorter scale length or thinner material equals higher pitch.

That's not quite right; the thickness or gauge of the string has nothing to do with the tension of the string.

Tension is calculated by scale, the note you are tuning to, and the weight of the string (usually in linear inch). As you said, fluorocarbon is more dense than nylon, so if you had a fluoro and nylon string in a .035 gauge and tuned them both to C on the same instrument, the fluoro would have more tension because it is more dense/weighs more.

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 04:38 AM
I have bought alot of sets of oasis and I have no tension problems on the any ones on the set...someone has mentioned the possible cause but you may have not understood what he meant
Many beginners and even long time players may have sometimes tuned the strings a octave up ...it means if your tuned your G string pass the G and went all the way up to the
next G note....which would explain why your string broke and a higher tension...you have enough in a set for two ukuleles...restring it again at a lower G and see ...
Everyone may make mistakes, but I would not complain publically so fast until I really knew it was the strings...as everyone here has stated we have no problems with the string tension
David was kind enough to send you strings even if you may had made a mistake, and this is how you repay him...
Oasis are generally better on heavier built ukes as they are brighter as they balance things out and not laminates...

I actually restrung the G string and i did not go an octave up thats not the issue here and i got what he meant t hey are 100 % tuned to the correct pitch but the tension is to high on them plain and simple way to much tension that is not normal.

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 04:41 AM

Flip that formula around and you find that strings that are thinner will need less tension to tune to a particular pitch than strings that that are thicker but of the same material. My usual complaint against "one size fits all scale lengths" strings is that they are way to floppy and wimpy on tenor.

If this is the first time you've used fluorocarbon strings I'd bet dollars to donuts that you tuned an octave high; nothing to be ashamed of, it's very easy to do especially if using light gage strings on a tenor. I think you said one of the strings snapped? If so, that's almost a guarantee that it was tuned an octave up...fluorocarbon is pretty tough stuff, much harder to break than nylon.

Fluorocarbons do feel a little higher tension than nylons (mostly because they are thinner so hurt more til you get used to them) but not drastically so.

John

I have flurocarbon (living water) on my baritone going right from nylons had no issues stringing and or tuning it up
so i figured 'hey why not on a smaller uke'. But the tension was still spot on the same as the nylon. I know its slightly
tighter but this just doesn't seem right.

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 04:44 AM
That's not quite right; the thickness or gauge of the string has nothing to do with the tension of the string.

Tension is calculated by scale, the note you are tuning to, and the weight of the string (usually in linear inch). As you said, fluorocarbon is more dense than nylon, so if you had a fluoro and nylon string in a .035 gauge and tuned them both to C on the same instrument, the fluoro would have more tension because it is more dense/weighs more.

this is what im trying to say!
its more dense and has more weight on the neck way way way more tension
its not an octave up i know what im doing, just something is off with these strings,
I'm trying to pick up a set of GHS black nylon strings today its mellow and affordable
to hold me over these strings maybe are supposed to have this 'high tension' but i prefer
i guess 'floppy and wimpy' as opposed to 'bright tense and gonna fly your bridge off tension'.

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 07:17 AM
this is what im trying to say!
its more dense and has more weight on the neck way way way more tension
its not an octave up i know what im doing, just something is off with these strings,
I'm trying to pick up a set of GHS black nylon strings today its mellow and affordable
to hold me over these strings maybe are supposed to have this 'high tension' but i prefer
i guess 'floppy and wimpy' as opposed to 'bright tense and gonna fly your bridge off tension'.

http://tinypic.com/r/i76ex2/8

this is how the uke sounds very bright and soprano like not bad just not warm in anyway
good product if you want a bright sound but not for me very high tension and very very very
bright waaaay brighter than aquila!

OldePhart
06-27-2014, 07:46 AM

Yes, but you're comparing strings of two different materials. I'm talking about strings of the same material. He's saying he thinks the strings are too high a tension at pitch because they are too thin. I was pointing out that if they were too thin they would be under less tension for a given pitch and scale than would thicker strings of the same material.

Doc_J
06-27-2014, 07:50 AM

this is how the uke sounds very bright and soprano like not bad just not warm in anyway
good product if you want a bright sound but not for me very high tension and very very very

That sounds very nice, but definitely is very bright. Can't tell if you've tuned up an octave or not. Could just be your uke.
You can check your tuning here: http://www.get-tuned.com/old_online_ukulele_tuner.php

However, I find low g helps warm up a uke .

My recent Scott Wise with Oasis Bright low G in c tuning: https://app.box.com/s/swnmepl1cz44nesb4u4x

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 07:55 AM
That sounds very nice, but definitely is very bright. Can't tell if you've tuned up an octave or not. Could just be your uke.
You can check your tuning here: http://www.get-tuned.com/old_online_ukulele_tuner.php

My recent Scott Wise with Oasis Bright low G in c tuning: https://app.box.com/s/swnmepl1cz44nesb4u4x

nope their not up an octave just VERY VERY bright!
not at all what i wanted actually the opposite of what i wanted!
I think for me nylon is better for smaller ukes and carbons for baritone.
I'll be going back to the world of aquila or other nylons. i thikn its just
more what im after. and ill try a low G also.

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 08:04 AM

http://tinypic.com/r/335e87n/8

its not up an octave their just high tension strings and to bright.
just gonna accept nylon is the only string for me for smaller ukes!

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 08:06 AM
Yes, but you're comparing strings of two different materials. I'm talking about strings of the same material. He's saying he thinks the strings are too high a tension at pitch because they are too thin. I was pointing out that if they were too thin they would be under less tension for a given pitch and scale than would thicker strings of the same material.

i dont know much about the technical aspect of how strings work i just know their very very tight and bright
and tuned correctly and make my tenor sound like a soprano and not happy with the sound.

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 08:30 AM

a local fellow uker was kind enough to mail me a set of aurora tenor strings which are set to have
a warmer sound. Looking forward to these for 2 towns away i should have them tomorrow until than
ill play my over sized soprano!

hawaii 50
06-27-2014, 08:47 AM

your uke sounds ok to me...you don't have to love Oasis strings as others do....even though I like them on certain ukes...

try as many strings as you can and decide on your own what you like...everyone hears and feels strings differently...to me the Oasis are one of the softer strings but they still are firm at the same time

it is a fun part for me when I get a new uke to see which strings are best...but once I do find them I don't question myself...I just play as much as possible

trust your own judgement....:)

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 08:50 AM
your uke sounds ok to me...you don't have to love Oasis strings as others do....even though I like them on certain ukes...

try as many stings as you can and decide on your own what you like...everyone hears and feels strings differently...to me the Oasis are one of the softer strings but they still are firm at the same time

trust your own judgement....:)

fair enough their just way to tense for me the fact that the first G string popped off from the tension
scared the crap out of me lol. But their nice strings their clear super super clear and loud (louder than aquila)
and bright, i just prefer the soft mellow tone, i think nylon is better for my taste on smaller ukes, while i prefer
carbon (living water reentrant G on my baritone).

mm stan
06-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Aloha Hodge,
I thought it sounded nice..I guess it is preference...I did mention it could be his uke and the laminate wood on this that may be the issue here or his other thread..
different strings on different ukes will preform differently...if this uke is bright I would go with a thicker to warm it up and a softer compound for less tension.

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Aloha Hodge,
I thought it sounded nice..I guess it is preference...I did mention it could be his uke and the laminate wood on this that may be the issue here or his other thread..
different strings on different ukes will preform differently...if this uke is bright I would go with a thicker to warm it up and a softer compound for less tension.

The wood on the underside of the top is the same exact thing making me think
it may not be laminate (but still unsure). I actually just brought new aquilla
"new nylguts' and honestly it sounds 1000000000 times softer warmer and mellower
and more bassy than those oasis strings. This uke seems to sound better with nylon strings.
My baritone on the other hand is better with carbons. and my soprano is better with carbons.

mm stan
06-27-2014, 05:44 PM
The wood on the underside of the top is the same exact thing making me think
it may not be laminate (but still unsure). I actually just brought new aquilla
"new nylguts' and honestly it sounds 1000000000 times softer warmer and mellower
and more bassy than those oasis strings. This uke seems to sound better with nylon strings.
My baritone on the other hand is better with carbons. and my soprano is better with carbons.
Aloha Iam,
look on the edges of the soundhole and edges of the ukes and most time you will know if it is a laminate or not...but for the price, most times it is a Lam
Plywood has the same wood on both sides for asthetics you know..
Sorry If I was harsh on you....OKay here is how you can cure your issues with your uke and or strings..."Drop Tune it" to
F#, B, D#, G# or
F, A#, D, G
this will lower the tension for one and two you will get a warmer tone.... and you will still have the re entrent tuning..my dog has fleas
but this is for solo playing only....if you play with others you have to be in the same tuning...Good Luck, Happy Strummings

iamesperambient
06-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Aloha Iam,
look on the edges of the soundhole and edges of the ukes and most time you will know if it is a laminate or not...but for the price, most times it is a Lam
Plywood has the same wood on both sides for asthetics you know..
Sorry If I was harsh on you....OKay here is how you can cure your issues with your uke and or strings..."Drop Tune it" to
F#, B, D#, G# or
F, A#, D, G
this will lower the tension for one and two you will get a warmer tone.... and you will still have the re entrent tuning..my dog has fleas
but this is for solo playing only....if you play with others you have to be in the same tuning...Good Luck, Happy Strummings

everything checks out for the uke
but solid but I'm still not 100% sure
even my friend who deals with
instruments at a NYC shop thinks the top
appears solid

Brian W
06-29-2014, 09:40 AM
I put a set of the Oasis High G, Bight on my Ohana soprano, and I absolutely LOVE them. I haven't tried them on a tenor, though; a tenor, due to the longer scale length, will have a higher tension than a soprano. I find the strings to have a nice bright tone (perfect for my mahogany ukulele) with good string-to-string articulation. The tension is well-balanced between each string as well, in fact better than either the Martin M600's or the Worth clear mediums. The Martin set has too much tension on the C string, while the Worth has too little. These may be my new favorite strings.

iamesperambient
06-29-2014, 10:28 AM
I put a set of the Oasis High G, Bight on my Ohana soprano, and I absolutely LOVE them. I haven't tried them on a tenor, though; a tenor, due to the longer scale length, will have a higher tension than a soprano. I find the strings to have a nice bright tone (perfect for my mahogany ukulele) with good string-to-string articulation. The tension is well-balanced between each string as well, in fact better than either the Martin M600's or the Worth clear mediums. The Martin set has too much tension on the C string, while the Worth has too little. These may be my new favorite strings.

to each his own, i thought the sound was harsh, high pitched, 'too tense' and 'plinky' and i got a tenor for the more robust sound and these strings too that character away from the tenor. Put aquilas back on and that ping ping sound is now gone. Still going to try out other brands, but i have to say oasis is not for me.

Tommy B
06-29-2014, 10:58 AM
I haven't tried them on a tenor, though; a tenor, due to the longer scale length, will have a higher tension than a soprano.

I just put Oasis strings on a tenor and like the sound a lot, but I'm confused about the tension issue. I assumed that because the same string gauges are used for soprano, concert and tenor, that they would actually have less tension on a tenor. Other string brands use heavier gauges for their tenor sets than their soprano sets to maintain correct tension. Doesn't the fact that Oasis doesn't mean that its strings are actually slacker on a tenor? Can someone explain this to my physics-challenged brain?

OldePhart
06-29-2014, 12:17 PM
I just put Oasis strings on a tenor and like the sound a lot, but I'm confused about the tension issue. I assumed that because the same string gauges are used for soprano, concert and tenor, that they would actually have less tension on a tenor. Other string brands use heavier gauges for their tenor sets than their soprano sets to maintain correct tension. Doesn't the fact that Oasis doesn't mean that its strings are actually slacker on a tenor? Can someone explain this to my physics-challenged brain?

A given string will vibrate at a given pitch based on two things - length of the vibrating section and the tension the string is under. One goes up in pitch by shortening the vibrating length (fretting closer to the body) or by increasing the tension. A tenor has a scale length (vibrating length of the open string) about 4" longer than a soprano. Therefore, since the vibrating length is longer the pitch would be lower, and one has to increase the tension to bring it to the same pitch. However, because the string is also longer, the tension around the middle of the string may not feel a lot higher, but it will be higher.

Most companies use heavier strings for their tenor sets because the tenor has a larger top with more bracing and overall heavier construction...therefore a string with more mass is called for to get the top moving for decent volume and sustain.

iamesperambient
06-29-2014, 12:40 PM

all i can tell you is my experience i put them on the tenor and the tension was the highest tension (so tight a string flew off) nope didnt go up an octave, nope i know what im doing. The strings were just way to tight i dont know the physics behind it i just know my personal experience.