I put them on my new tenor and than
tried to tune it up something is wrong
the tension is too tight and the g string
popped off. it's supposed to be one set
for soprano concert and tenor but it seems
it's not properly gauged or something
very sad and disappointed can't play my
uke today now

Sorry to hear your uke is out if service. Sounds like you got a bad set, or gauging. Let the Dave Hepple at Oasis know, he'll take care of you. In the mean time go get some Martins locally.

I've got Oasis strings on most of my tenors. Tension should be similar to other Fluorocarbon strings.

If you have a high G set, you could use the spare A string for a lower tension G.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your uke is out if service. Sounds like you got a bad set, or gauging. Let the Dave Hepple at Oasis know, he'll take care of you. In the mean time go get some Martins locally.

I've got Oasis strings on most of my tenors. Tension should be similar to other Fluorocarbon strings.

If you have a high G set, you could use the spare A string for a lower tension G.

thanks for the tip I'll email them
tonight ya the tension is so tight
it's not correct at all. I'm going to
get new strings tomorrow hopefully
pretty sad

Last time that happened to me my battery was getting low in my clip on tuner. Sometimes it is the knot you tied. You may have just gone up an octave. It happens. Sorry, it happened to you. I was one of the lucky many and got to test those strings out. I bought a few sets of low G warm. I just checked with my sets. When I cut them in half there is enough for two sets per package. Hopefully, you have enough length to try another G string. I have been where you are at. It can get very frustrating. I have had to step away from a uke before and revisit it later in the day. I have two full and one half set of low G oasis warms for a total of 5 sets. If you want to send me a prepaid self addressed envelope I will let you have them free. Let me know. It will be o.k., but like I said I have been in your spot before. More than once I had to drive somewhere local and buy strings I didn't like to play until I could get replacements.

Last time that happened to me my battery was getting low in my clip on tuner. Sometimes it is the knot you tied. You may have just gone up an octave. It happens. Sorry, it happened to you. I was one of the lucky many and got to test those strings out. I bought a few sets of low G warm. I just checked with my sets. When I cut them in half there is enough for two sets per package. Hopefully, you have enough length to try another G string. I have been where you are at. It can get very frustrating. I have had to step away from a uke before and revisit it later in the day. I have two full and one half set of low G oasis warms for a total of 5 sets. If you want to send me a prepaid self addressed envelope I will let you have them free. Let me know. It will be o.k., but like I said I have been in your spot before. More than once I had to drive somewhere local and buy strings I didn't like to play until I could get replacements.
thanks I appreciate it.
I'm going to try to replace the g
with the other one I cut and see but
the whole set seems so tight :(
I'm going to buy cheapos when I can
get to the music store than I'll probably
go with Aquila this experience has led back
back to wishing I left the stock aquillas on
the tension was just right with them.

also I just emailed oasis and let them know

thanks I appreciate it.
I'm going to try to replace the g
with the other one I cut and see but
the whole set seems so tight :(
I'm going to buy cheapos when I can
get to the music store than I'll probably
go with Aquila this experience has led back
back to wishing I left the stock aquillas on
the tension was just right with them.

Good luck and fingers crossed.:D

Good luck and fingers crossed.:D

i replaced the G string with the other one i cut in half and left more slack when i tied it. It tuns up and seems to have stretched out (after rocking them side to side) and doesn't seem as tense but overall still very tight and matched up against my soprano it almost sounds equal i actually tuned all the strings down so it would not put tension on the strings and will be getting a new set. Oasis wrote me back and is willing to give me a new set to try so im thankful for that very nice customer service.

I think its possible i got a bad set, because this tension is so tight im worried the bridge will fly off (its that bad). I'll probably buy a cheap set of la bella strings tomorrow at a local shop to hold me over until i can get these replacement sets, i really wanted to try to see if these would have mellowed out my tenor even more so. Will see when i get the new set. Thanks for all the tips i guess ill be playing my baritone for the night.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the strings. I've installed dozens of sets without any problem. If you are used to Aquilas, I think you're just having a hard time getting adjusted to the higher tension and smoother feel of fluorocarbon strings.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the strings. I've installed dozens of sets without any problem. If you are used to Aquilas, I think you're just having a hard time getting adjusted to the higher tension and smoother feel of fluorocarbon strings.

i just put living water high D flurocarbon strings on my baritone no problem and they sound perfect.
These are overly tight, and way way way bright like a soprano in D tuning, i feel something is off with this set.
I got them to get some thing with a warmer tone i find aquilas actually tight and way to bright but compared to these
they seem mellow and if they sound mellow in general compared to a string something must be wrong with the set.
Still not sure how this 'warm' set is considered 'warm' im getting very very bright and high tension to almost a dangerous
to the uke level.

As per:

You may have just gone up an octave. It happens.

Just in case this might be what is the cause, I suggest you get the instuner app for your iOS device.

It's $4 but well worth it. I find it indespensible (yes I also have the P/W NS Micro :))

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/instuner-chromatic-tuner/id528923171?mt=8

There are many tuning modes (I think 10 or more, including a strobe tuner), which you can chose from, so it's like having many tuners in one, and it will use either the mic input of your device OR if you have something like the Apogee Jam or iRig it will use that too.

The main reason I use it is for restringing, and specifically to make sure I am in the correct octave, for low G, that is

G3, C4, E4, A4, (or G4, C4, E4, A4 for re-entrant C6 tuning)

and it SHOWS you the octave number along with the note, and +/- 50 cents as it responds incrementally/chromatically to the pitch of what it hears.

see pics enclosed (click to enlarge):

this is on the iPad
instuner-horizontal.jpg

this is on the iPhone/iPod Touch
insTuner-1.jpg

Even if you don't use it all the time, it will help you when you need it and the battery in your clip-on tuner is dead and you have no spares.

-Booli

Last edited:
As per:

Just in case this might be what is the cause, I suggest you get the instuner app for your iOS device.

It's $4 but well worth it. I find it indespensible (yes I also have the P/W NS Micro :))

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/instuner-chromatic-tuner/id528923171?mt=8

There are many tuning modes (I think 10 or more, including a strobe tuner), which you can chose from, so it's like having many tuners in one, and it will use either the mic input of your device OR if you have something like the Apogee Jam or iRig it will use that too.

The main reason I use it is for restringing, and specifically to make sure I am in the correct octave, for low G, that is

G3, C4, E4, A4, (or G4, C4, E4, A4 for re-entrant C6 tuning)

and it SHOWS you the octave number along with the note, and +/- 50 cents as it responds incrementally/chromatically to the pitch of what it hears.

see pics enclosed (click to enlarge):

this is on the iPad
View attachment 68250

this is on the iPhone/iPod Touch
View attachment 68251

Even if you don't use it all the time, it will help you when you need it and the battery in your clip-on tuner is dead and you have no spares.

-Booli

thanks for the tip i appreciate it!
I think in this case it was something to do with the actual strings
i think somehow i got a bad set which the strings are not the proper gauges their labeled they all except for the C string pretty much look about the same size which i find suspect. Mistakes are made ill just try another set and see what happens.

Which tenor set would have the lowest tension?

On the stock aquilas which came on the uke it had nice tension not to taught but not floppy
it felt like normal tension. These strings are 63" i believe and enough for 2 sets which you
cut in half for 2 sets, but their supposed to be able to be used on soprano, concert and tenor...
but im finding at least from this set its way to much tension and the string gauges are too thin
for a larger uke, which is why i believe i was just giving a dud/mistake set.

is the tension supposed to be tighter
than nylon the strings have seemed
to have stretched and settled in a bit
and my clip on is recognizing the pitches
now is it possible it was just stretching
so bad that the tuner could not find the pitch?
the tension is still very tight much tighter
than it was with the aquila strings I'm stm
a bit worried about the tension being too
tight now the uke sound very bright trying
to understand how these are "warm"
I still think I got a bad or mislabeled set

is the tension supposed to be tighter
than nylon the strings have seemed
to have stretched and settled in a bit
and my clip on is recognizing the pitches
now is it possible it was just stretching
so bad that the tuner could not find the pitch?
the tension is still very tight much tighter
than it was with the aquila strings I'm stm
a bit worried about the tension being too
tight now the uke sound very bright trying
to understand how these are "warm"
I still think I got a bad or mislabeled set

seems other people feel oasis
has high tension also so far just not
happy with the tension :/ gonna have
to just order living waters for the tenor
their my favorite string for my baritone
I'm going to pick up cheapos tomorrow
and get these off!

I have bought alot of sets of oasis and I have no tension problems on the any ones on the set...someone has mentioned the possible cause but you may have not understood what he meant
Many beginners and even long time players may have sometimes tuned the strings a octave up ...it means if your tuned your G string pass the G and went all the way up to the
next G note....which would explain why your string broke and a higher tension...you have enough in a set for two ukuleles...restring it again at a lower G and see ...
Everyone may make mistakes, but I would not complain publically so fast until I really knew it was the strings...as everyone here has stated we have no problems with the string tension
David was kind enough to send you strings even if you may had made a mistake, and this is how you repay him...
Oasis are generally better on heavier built ukes as they are brighter as they balance things out and not laminates...

Last edited:
And just FYI if you have tuned an octave high the strings are pretty much ruined. I actually tuned the C string on one of my sopranos a full octave up several weeks ago - it's easy to do when you have different ukes strung with different tensions. This was a set of Ko'Olau Gold strings on a soprano and I'd been playing heavy fluorocarbon strings on a tenor for the weeks preceding the change. Tuned right past the correct C and on up as I was initially winding the strings. When I realized my mistake a few minutes later I tuned back down but the string never would intonate correctly and I had to replace it.

John

On the stock aquilas which came on the uke it had nice tension not to taught but not floppy
it felt like normal tension. These strings are 63" i believe and enough for 2 sets which you
cut in half for 2 sets, but their supposed to be able to be used on soprano, concert and tenor...
but im finding at least from this set its way to much tension and the string gauges are too thin
for a larger uke, which is why i believe i was just giving a dud/mistake set.

This doesn't make any sense. If the string gauges were too thin you would have lower tension for a given pitch at a given scale length. Fluorocarbon strings are definitely thinner than nylon for a given tuning (because they are more dense) because the laws of physics don't change...for a given material and tension...longer scale length or thicker material means lower pitch...shorter scale length or thinner material equals higher pitch.

Flip that formula around and you find that strings that are thinner will need less tension to tune to a particular pitch than strings that that are thicker but of the same material. My usual complaint against "one size fits all scale lengths" strings is that they are way to floppy and wimpy on tenor.

If this is the first time you've used fluorocarbon strings I'd bet dollars to donuts that you tuned an octave high; nothing to be ashamed of, it's very easy to do especially if using light gage strings on a tenor. I think you said one of the strings snapped? If so, that's almost a guarantee that it was tuned an octave up...fluorocarbon is pretty tough stuff, much harder to break than nylon.

Fluorocarbons do feel a little higher tension than nylons (mostly because they are thinner so hurt more til you get used to them) but not drastically so.

John

Last edited:
This doesn't make any sense. If the string gauges were too thin you would have lower tension for a given pitch at a given scale length. Fluorocarbon strings are definitely thinner than nylon for a given tuning (because they are more dense) because the laws of physics don't change...for a given material and tension...longer scale length or thicker material means lower pitch...shorter scale length or thinner material equals higher pitch.

That's not quite right; the thickness or gauge of the string has nothing to do with the tension of the string.

Tension is calculated by scale, the note you are tuning to, and the weight of the string (usually in linear inch). As you said, fluorocarbon is more dense than nylon, so if you had a fluoro and nylon string in a .035 gauge and tuned them both to C on the same instrument, the fluoro would have more tension because it is more dense/weighs more.

Top Bottom