Another string question - Worth Browns Tension

pixiepurls

Reaction score
When I stopped by the uke shop their worth browns had sold out of concert. But the sales girl said she believed the thickness was the same for tenor and concert so she sold me tenor strings.

Everything is fine on them accept the A string it just seems very tight. I thought maybe I just tightened it too much when I put them on and went past the normal A and maybe went too far the next A? Its noticeable. I tried loosening it I think abut 10 minutes after I put the strings on it but it would have been way too loose.

Does anyone know if the tenor strings would be different? I finally got my set from HMS yesterday so I can open a new pack and try another A but I hate to waste a set. Is the A just more tense on worth browns soprano size or should I always know something is wrong if only 1 string is more tense then the others in a set? I've seen people post "I don't use those strings because I don't like their tension" and wondered if this is what people mean, or did I just do something wrong?

There's a chart on the Worth site with all the gauges... just hang on I'll go find it (I looked it up when I was making my Bruko's nut)

Last edited:
Found it: http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

It looks like the tenor C and E strings are the same gauge as the concert/soprano sets, but the g in the concert/soprano gauge is the same as the A in the tenor, and the tenor g string is thicker too... hope that helps!

If you strum down on your strings, and properly tuned.....you should have the my dog has fleas.....any strings an octave higer will not make your re entrant tuning sound like this

I doubt you could tune it an octave higher without snapping the string. But, one way to know is to try to tune the questionable string down, which is safe, and see what it's like one octave lower. My guess: flabby and unplayable.

If all the strings were the same for the different sized instruments, wouldn't they just be labeled: Ukulele Strings for All Sized Ukuleles?

I put Worth Brown Tenor string on my Concert and Soprano
scale ukes without any problem.The difference in thickness
is negligible. I started doing this when a player I know told
me he did so,and had done for years with no ill effects!

Last edited:
Next time, I'd get different strings. Getting the wrong scale strings, simply to stick with the brand and color you like, is apparently more disruptive than getting say a set of Worth clears or Martins, D'Addarios, Aquilas,.. in the correct scale. (Just me: I don't think there's really any diff between the Worth clears and the browns.)

If you strum down on your strings, and properly tuned.....you should have the my dog has fleas.....any strings an octave higer will not make your re entrant tuning sound like this

did that yesterday by the way playing normal songs it tunes up matches a pitch pipe and tuner
and all the songs i play match up even strummed along too a song (a recording) the strings are just too f-ing
tight maybe their design to be like that if thats the case Fu*K these strings! (oasis) just too tight.

Maybe in her case the worths were the wrong tension after all their designed for tenor not concert prob
has something to do with that. Get em off asap!

Its hard for me to tell because I have a wound low G on it so it never sounds the same to me. Its not a worths low G. I actually don't know what it is I had the shop put it on a month ago.

did that yesterday by the way playing normal songs it tunes up matches a pitch pipe and tuner
and all the songs i play match up even strummed along too a song (a recording) the strings are just too f-ing
tight maybe their design to be like that if thats the case Fu*K these strings! (oasis) just too tight.

Maybe in her case the worths were the wrong tension after all their designed for tenor not concert prob
has something to do with that. Get em off asap!

It might not be my place to say this but regarding your recent and one time experience with Oasis strings.............just let it go, get over it. There is no need to use foul language regarding an excellent product. I even read they are sending you a new set for free. You didn't like the sound and feel of them on a particular uke, big deal. We have all experienced the same but don't go around bashing a product because it does not suit your taste. Even Chuck Moore jumped in and tried to explain this to you. Your comment regarding this topic in this post about Worth Brown strinhs is not relevent.

Pixie, if you look at the link other poster provided it shows that the A string in the tenor set is LARGER in diameter than in the concert set. That is why you are noticing a difference. You have good ears and fingers to pick that up. I just put a set of WB on my Pete Howlett tenor and I like them very much.

Last edited:
I guess my impatience = a waste set a strings.. but I do like them LOADS better then the Aquila's or the D'addrio T2s. Worths sound lovely on my C1k... off to open the new pack..

You could always go back to the store that sold 'em to you and say, "Hey, you were wrong, give me refund" :)

I put Worth browns on my Bruko and couldn't believe the difference - likewise I swapped out my Pono concert's strings for Living Water (which seem to be almost identical to Worth clears - flourocarbon, all with the same gauges), and it sounded so much louder (but not in a bad way!).

We've all learnt something here - tenor strings don't fit concerts and someone here bears a grudge ;)

It might not be my place to say this but regarding your recent and one time experience with Oasis strings.............just let it go, get over it. There is no need to use foul language regarding an excellent product. I even read they are sending you a new set for free. You didn't like the sound and feel of them on a particular uke, big deal. We have all experienced the same but don't go around bashing a product because it does not suit your taste. Even Chuck Moore jumped in and tried to explain this to you. Your comment regarding this topic in this post about Worth Brown strinhs is not relevent.

Pixie, if you look at the link other poster provided it shows that the A string in the tenor set is LARGER in diameter than in the concert set. That is why you are noticing a difference. You have good ears and fingers to pick that up. I just put a set of WB on my Pete Howlett tenor and I like them very much.

Not bashing the product i just feel it might be wrongly described or labeled because its not anywhere near a 'warm' sound. Just disappointed btw over it!

Its hard for me to tell because I have a wound low G on it so it never sounds the same to me. Its not a worths low G. I actually don't know what it is I had the shop put it on a month ago.

You can fret the low G string at the 12th fret and get the flea tune.

I guess my impatience = a waste set a strings.. but I do like them LOADS better then the Aquila's or the D'addrio T2s. Worths sound lovely on my C1k... off to open the new pack..

I've always noticed the A string being or feeling a bit tighter on all string sets I've used. They don't break though.

I've been thinking about changing the strings on my Lanikai LQA-TCA tenor cutaway solid spruce top and laminate quilted ash body to Worth Browns, so I went to the Worth web site and read up on their choices, I've condensed (and clarified the Japanese to English translation) here:

Worth Strings are differentiated by color, gauge, material and length:

1. Color
Clear (C) - sharp and projective
Brown (B) - mild and mellow

2. Gauge
--Light (CL/BL) - very bright, easy to barre
--Medium (CM/BM) - standard for solo and for strumming
--Extra (CE/BE) - 4th string is thicker, strummers like this gauge
--Custom gauge (BC) has a bright and glossy sound
--Tenor gauge (CT/BT) has a powerful sound
--Fat gauge (CF/BF) fatter sound

3. Material - Fluoro-carbon
Clear (C)
--Standard Fluoro-carbon (CL, CM, CE, CT and C-LG)
--Hard Fluoro-carbon (CD, CH, CF and C-LGEX) - clearer sound
Brown
-- Standard Fluoro-carbon

4. Length
46 inches - soprano and concert (63 inches available for an extra charge)
63 inches - tenor (provides two sets)

If you are confused about which strings to choose, at first use BM or CM for soprano and concert and CT or BT for tenor, but we hope you experiment to find your best sound. The sound changes by body material and how you play.

Last edited:

You are wonderful, I looked at the spreadsheet but numbers tend to make my brain shut down. I starred at it for 5 minutes before giving up. So they are different and I should swap it out. I will inform the sales person next time I see them (the owner wasn't in that day). Its a small business and I knew when I bought it was I was taking a risk and was willing to take it. I'm so glad to know for sure thank you so much!

Not bashing the product i just feel it might be wrongly described or labeled because its not anywhere near a 'warm' sound. Just disappointed btw over it!

Wrongly described? it is your perspective how you interpet things... what the oasis label means warmer than the brights man....don't you get it yet...
All strings react different to different ukes... Dave even helped you...what gives

Top Bottom