PDA

View Full Version : Another string question - Worth Browns Tension

pixiepurls
06-27-2014, 03:03 AM
When I stopped by the uke shop their worth browns had sold out of concert. But the sales girl said she believed the thickness was the same for tenor and concert so she sold me tenor strings.

Everything is fine on them accept the A string it just seems very tight. I thought maybe I just tightened it too much when I put them on and went past the normal A and maybe went too far the next A? Its noticeable. I tried loosening it I think abut 10 minutes after I put the strings on it but it would have been way too loose.

Does anyone know if the tenor strings would be different? I finally got my set from HMS yesterday so I can open a new pack and try another A but I hate to waste a set. Is the A just more tense on worth browns soprano size or should I always know something is wrong if only 1 string is more tense then the others in a set? I've seen people post "I don't use those strings because I don't like their tension" and wondered if this is what people mean, or did I just do something wrong?

Vagrant
06-27-2014, 03:05 AM
There's a chart on the Worth site with all the gauges... just hang on I'll go find it (I looked it up when I was making my Bruko's nut)

Vagrant
06-27-2014, 03:08 AM
Found it: http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

It looks like the tenor C and E strings are the same gauge as the concert/soprano sets, but the g in the concert/soprano gauge is the same as the A in the tenor, and the tenor g string is thicker too... hope that helps!

mm stan
06-27-2014, 03:08 AM
If you strum down on your strings, and properly tuned.....you should have the my dog has fleas.....any strings an octave higer will not make your re entrant tuning sound like this

coolkayaker1
06-27-2014, 03:17 AM
I doubt you could tune it an octave higher without snapping the string. But, one way to know is to try to tune the questionable string down, which is safe, and see what it's like one octave lower. My guess: flabby and unplayable.

If all the strings were the same for the different sized instruments, wouldn't they just be labeled: Ukulele Strings for All Sized Ukuleles?

Manalishi
06-27-2014, 03:53 AM
I put Worth Brown Tenor string on my Concert and Soprano
scale ukes without any problem.The difference in thickness
is negligible. I started doing this when a player I know told
me he did so,and had done for years with no ill effects!

stevepetergal
06-27-2014, 04:14 AM
Next time, I'd get different strings. Getting the wrong scale strings, simply to stick with the brand and color you like, is apparently more disruptive than getting say a set of Worth clears or Martins, D'Addarios, Aquilas,.. in the correct scale. (Just me: I don't think there's really any diff between the Worth clears and the browns.)

dickadcock
06-27-2014, 04:18 AM
Here's an interesting spreadsheet comparing data gathered by people on this forum concerning strings. This is the message containing info & link:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?97395-Ukulele-String-Comparisons-Spreadsheet

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 04:58 AM
If you strum down on your strings, and properly tuned.....you should have the my dog has fleas.....any strings an octave higer will not make your re entrant tuning sound like this

did that yesterday by the way playing normal songs it tunes up matches a pitch pipe and tuner
and all the songs i play match up even strummed along too a song (a recording) the strings are just too f-ing
tight maybe their design to be like that if thats the case Fu*K these strings! (oasis) just too tight.

Maybe in her case the worths were the wrong tension after all their designed for tenor not concert prob
has something to do with that. Get em off asap!

pixiepurls
06-27-2014, 05:51 AM

Its hard for me to tell because I have a wound low G on it so it never sounds the same to me. Its not a worths low G. I actually don't know what it is I had the shop put it on a month ago.

DownUpDave
06-27-2014, 05:53 AM
did that yesterday by the way playing normal songs it tunes up matches a pitch pipe and tuner
and all the songs i play match up even strummed along too a song (a recording) the strings are just too f-ing
tight maybe their design to be like that if thats the case Fu*K these strings! (oasis) just too tight.

Maybe in her case the worths were the wrong tension after all their designed for tenor not concert prob
has something to do with that. Get em off asap!

It might not be my place to say this but regarding your recent and one time experience with Oasis strings.............just let it go, get over it. There is no need to use foul language regarding an excellent product. I even read they are sending you a new set for free. You didn't like the sound and feel of them on a particular uke, big deal. We have all experienced the same but don't go around bashing a product because it does not suit your taste. Even Chuck Moore jumped in and tried to explain this to you. Your comment regarding this topic in this post about Worth Brown strinhs is not relevent.

Pixie, if you look at the link other poster provided it shows that the A string in the tenor set is LARGER in diameter than in the concert set. That is why you are noticing a difference. You have good ears and fingers to pick that up. I just put a set of WB on my Pete Howlett tenor and I like them very much.

pixiepurls
06-27-2014, 05:53 AM
I guess my impatience = a waste set a strings.. but I do like them LOADS better then the Aquila's or the D'addrio T2s. Worths sound lovely on my C1k... off to open the new pack..

Vagrant
06-27-2014, 06:33 AM
You could always go back to the store that sold 'em to you and say, "Hey, you were wrong, give me refund" :)

I put Worth browns on my Bruko and couldn't believe the difference - likewise I swapped out my Pono concert's strings for Living Water (which seem to be almost identical to Worth clears - flourocarbon, all with the same gauges), and it sounded so much louder (but not in a bad way!).

We've all learnt something here - tenor strings don't fit concerts and someone here bears a grudge ;)

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 06:56 AM
It might not be my place to say this but regarding your recent and one time experience with Oasis strings.............just let it go, get over it. There is no need to use foul language regarding an excellent product. I even read they are sending you a new set for free. You didn't like the sound and feel of them on a particular uke, big deal. We have all experienced the same but don't go around bashing a product because it does not suit your taste. Even Chuck Moore jumped in and tried to explain this to you. Your comment regarding this topic in this post about Worth Brown strinhs is not relevent.

Pixie, if you look at the link other poster provided it shows that the A string in the tenor set is LARGER in diameter than in the concert set. That is why you are noticing a difference. You have good ears and fingers to pick that up. I just put a set of WB on my Pete Howlett tenor and I like them very much.

Not bashing the product i just feel it might be wrongly described or labeled because its not anywhere near a 'warm' sound. Just disappointed btw over it!

BlueLatitude
06-27-2014, 06:58 AM
Its hard for me to tell because I have a wound low G on it so it never sounds the same to me. Its not a worths low G. I actually don't know what it is I had the shop put it on a month ago.

You can fret the low G string at the 12th fret and get the flea tune.

Icelander53
06-27-2014, 07:02 AM
I guess my impatience = a waste set a strings.. but I do like them LOADS better then the Aquila's or the D'addrio T2s. Worths sound lovely on my C1k... off to open the new pack..

I've always noticed the A string being or feeling a bit tighter on all string sets I've used. They don't break though.

kohanmike
06-27-2014, 09:01 AM
I've been thinking about changing the strings on my Lanikai LQA-TCA tenor cutaway solid spruce top and laminate quilted ash body to Worth Browns, so I went to the Worth web site and read up on their choices, I've condensed (and clarified the Japanese to English translation) here:

Worth Strings are differentiated by color, gauge, material and length:

1. Color
Clear (C) - sharp and projective
Brown (B) - mild and mellow

2. Gauge
--Light (CL/BL) - very bright, easy to barre
--Medium (CM/BM) - standard for solo and for strumming
--Extra (CE/BE) - 4th string is thicker, strummers like this gauge
--Custom gauge (BC) has a bright and glossy sound
--Tenor gauge (CT/BT) has a powerful sound
--Fat gauge (CF/BF) fatter sound

3. Material - Fluoro-carbon
Clear (C)
--Standard Fluoro-carbon (CL, CM, CE, CT and C-LG)
--Hard Fluoro-carbon (CD, CH, CF and C-LGEX) - clearer sound
Brown
-- Standard Fluoro-carbon

4. Length
46 inches - soprano and concert (63 inches available for an extra charge)
63 inches - tenor (provides two sets)

If you are confused about which strings to choose, at first use BM or CM for soprano and concert and CT or BT for tenor, but we hope you experiment to find your best sound. The sound changes by body material and how you play.

pixiepurls
06-27-2014, 11:30 AM

You are wonderful, I looked at the spreadsheet but numbers tend to make my brain shut down. I starred at it for 5 minutes before giving up. So they are different and I should swap it out. I will inform the sales person next time I see them (the owner wasn't in that day). Its a small business and I knew when I bought it was I was taking a risk and was willing to take it. I'm so glad to know for sure thank you so much!

pixiepurls
06-27-2014, 11:41 AM
You can fret the low G string at the 12th fret and get the flea tune.

Great trick thanks will try it!

mm stan
06-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Not bashing the product i just feel it might be wrongly described or labeled because its not anywhere near a 'warm' sound. Just disappointed btw over it!

Wrongly described? it is your perspective how you interpet things... what the oasis label means warmer than the brights man....don't you get it yet...
All strings react different to different ukes... Dave even helped you...what gives

iamesperambient
06-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Wrongly described? it is your perspective how you interpet things... what the oasis label means warmer than the brights man....don't you get it yet...
All strings react different to different ukes... Dave even helped you...what gives

i get it its warmer than brights, but its still bright just slightly less bright but too bright for me
went back to aquilas for now and it sounds better may try worth browns at some point.

pixiepurls
06-27-2014, 04:17 PM
My experience is that the A string will snap or let go somehow if you tune it an octave high, usually around when it reaches F or G, it may not make it to A.
If you feel unsure, when you restring do the C string last and use the old string to check the octave. Then when you get to change the.

Thanks for the info :) will do!

mm stan
06-27-2014, 05:47 PM
i get it its warmer than brights, but its still bright just slightly less bright but too bright for me
went back to aquilas for now and it sounds better may try worth browns at some point.

Aloha I am,
Sorry If I was harsh on you....OKay here is how you can cure your issues with your uke and or strings..."Drop Tune it" to
F#, B, D#, G# or
F, A#, D, G
this will lower the tension for one and two you will get a warmer tone.... and you will still have the re entrent tuning..my dog has fleas
but this is for solo playing only....if you play with others you have to be in the same tuning...Good Luck, Happy Strummings

DownUpDave
06-28-2014, 12:04 AM
You are wonderful, I looked at the spreadsheet but numbers tend to make my brain shut down. I starred at it for 5 minutes before giving up. So they are different and I should swap it out. I will inform the sales person next time I see them (the owner wasn't in that day). Its a small business and I knew when I bought it was I was taking a risk and was willing to take it. I'm so glad to know for sure thank you so much!

You are very welcome. Props go to Vagrant as well for throwing up the link to the Worth website. Isn't the uke community just great about helping each other out. I just knew this internet thing would catch on;)

Raise your hand if you remember the only place to get info on stuff was the library, God I feel old just thinking about ENCYCLOPIDAS

Steveperrywriter
06-28-2014, 12:14 PM
One man's bright is another man's warm; these are not objective terms that can be measured precisely. His ear is not hers is not yours is not mine. Over and over, the bottom line seems to come out, well, it depends. The best research here is personal -- how do these strings sound to you on your ukulele? That's what gets you there. Nothing else much matters.

Folks will give you general recommendations, or those based on their own experiences, but it's kind of like asking, Which is better, vanilla ice cream or chocolate? Only one way to know.

There are a couple of threads running about high-end ukes, or those costing over a thousand bucks, and the same thing applies. Are they worth it? To me, absolutely. Your mileage may vary, and if you are looking for unanimous agreement? Good luck with that. Ask, listen, but ultimately, make your own choice. You don't have to justify it to anybody here; neither should you feel as if you have to convert the unbelievers to your way of thinking.

iamesperambient
06-28-2014, 12:42 PM
One man's bright is another man's warm; these are not objective terms that can be measured precisely. His ear is not hers is not yours is not mine. Over and over, the bottom line seems to come out, well, it depends. The best research here is personal -- how do these strings sound to you on your ukulele? That's what gets you there. Nothing else much matters.

Folks will give you general recommendations, or those based on their own experiences, but it's kind of like asking, Which is better, vanilla ice cream or chocolate? Only one way to know.

There are a couple of threads running about high-end ukes, or those costing over a thousand bucks, and the same thing applies. Are they worth it? To me, absolutely. Your mileage may vary, and if you are looking for unanimous agreement? Good luck with that. Ask, listen, but ultimately, make your own choice. You don't have to justify it to anybody here; neither should you feel as if you have to convert the unbelievers to your way of thinking.

its just a matter of trying things out, i tried different strings it sounded too bright to me and the tension was dangerously high i thougth, and i went back in a circle which lead me back to aquilas for them time being. Each uke sounds better with certain strings and i guess everyones taste is different i prefer mellow some prefer bright, what i learned is oasis strings in general are for adding brightness (which isn't my preference but may be yours). I hear worth browns are mellow are they to some maybe? to me maybe not and i won't know until i give them a try.

mm stan
06-28-2014, 02:23 PM
its just a matter of trying things out, i tried different strings it sounded too bright to me and the tension was dangerously high i thougth, and i went back in a circle which lead me back to aquilas for them time being. Each uke sounds better with certain strings and i guess everyones taste is different i prefer mellow some prefer bright, what i learned is oasis strings in general are for adding brightness (which isn't my preference but may be yours). I hear worth browns are mellow are they to some maybe? to me maybe not and i won't know until i give them a try.

Like any other strings worth browns too work on certain ukes too.....but give them a try.... they work on some of my ukes but not all...

iamesperambient
06-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Like any other strings worth browns too work on certain ukes too.....but give them a try.... they work on some of my ukes but not all...

yep I'll try me em and see how it goes
if not I know I can always fall back
on Aquila which do sound good on my uke.

pixiepurls
06-29-2014, 03:14 PM
Well for an update... I lost the envelope which held the HMS worth browns... so I can't replace the tenor set on my concert atm so tonight I popped on a pair of martins I had forgotten I bought. It was weird, I feel like they remind me of aquilas but then they don't... I can't quiet put my finger on it. I like the worth browns better but there is something very pleasant about the martins which I can't identify. Hoping I find my worths soon, I was outside holding them talking to a neighbor for a almost an hour and I came back in and put them down but have no idea where!

iamesperambient
06-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Well for an update... I lost the envelope which held the HMS worth browns... so I can't replace the tenor set on my concert atm so tonight I popped on a pair of martins I had forgotten I bought. It was weird, I feel like they remind me of aquilas but then they don't... I can't quiet put my finger on it. I like the worth browns better but there is something very pleasant about the martins which I can't identify. Hoping I find my worths soon, I was outside holding them talking to a neighbor for a almost an hour and I came back in and put them down but have no idea where!

if you give me your address via pm i can send you a set of oasis strings if you want i don't want them.

iamesperambient
06-29-2014, 05:07 PM
if you give me your address via pm i can send you a set of oasis strings if you want i don't want them.

wait nm im missing the G string i forgot sorry :/

WKerrigan
07-03-2014, 04:09 PM
So I should have read this thread a few hours ago. I just put Worth Browns on my Lanikai Tenor Spruce Top, and as I was stringing it up, I thought, "gee, these are so long I might be able to get a second set out of them!" Well now I am supposed to get two sets out of them! Luckily, I did save the extra and put each one back in its correct bag! And here I had been thinking these strings were kind of outrageously expensive!

The strings are still stretching, but I think I like the sound. I had Aquilas on it, and it was just too darn bright sounding--I like bright, but there is a limit. The Worth Browns make it sound like a whole new uke, so maybe I won't sell it after all.

phlatpicker
07-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Different strings for different ukes is very true. I use Worth Browns on my Lanikai laminate baritone, but I use Southcoast Light Linears on my Lanikai spruce top baritone. What suits one really well doesn't sound as nice (to me) as on the other. I'm so glad we've got so much variety to choose from.
phlatpicker.