RUP Continues: NUD - Collings UC2

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
My Rotating Uke Program continues. Rotating in this morning was a 2009 production UC2 that had been bought by a collector but unplayed. Well, that was the story I was told by the store who sold it to me. It certainly looks unplayed with no marks anywhere. Nada. Zip. It could've just rolled out of the finishing department at Collings based on the look (cleaner than many I've seen in stores).

The Mahogany wood is absolutely elegant, very deep in color with nice figuring and a very tasteful tortoise binding. And Collings sure does outstanding finish work. Every detail appears perfect. I've heard some people comment they don't like that they use CNC machines for some of the production. When the finished product looks and sounds this good, it's a bit hard to knock their process.

It still had the (crappy) original Aquila Nylguts which they used to use. I loathe those strings. What is it? Just the sound, the feel and the look. Other than that, they're fine. ;-).

I wanted to throw on some Aquila Reds since I've loved them on everything I've tried them on so far and since I've really become accustomed to their feel. Alas, I discovered I didn't have any more of the right sets (arrrggghh! quickly ordered a bunch more sets!). So I put on a set of Living Water strings, another string I have come to like on a variety of instruments.

I'm very keen to see if I fall in love with Collings to anywhere close to the degree so many others have.

By the way, if you're in the market of a UC2, McCabes has one with rope binding (an up charge) for $1,750, I believe. That's the best price I've seen on a new UC2 by no small margin.

Here is the UC2 with my Clara (and sitting on @coolkayak's favorite floor; right, Steve? ;-)

View attachment 68288

I might have to pour a nice Highland Scotch and just admire my babies tonight. ;-)

Best, Eddie

P.S. If you're in the market for a killer soprano, my Mark Pereira deep body soprano will be seeking a new home in latter July when the Mrs. brings it back from Japan. Will be very sad to see that one go since he is not taking orders (still producing ukes here and there, but they are only spec units and tend to be large size).

Very nice Eddie. I totally agree about the Nylguts. I believe Collings stopped using Nylguts over a year ago. They went with Worth and Savarez.

Congrats, Eddie! That's a sweet pair. Definitely ditch the Nylguts. I think Collings actually is now exclusively Savarez, which are my favorites anyway.

Oh, and don't just admire them - pour that single malt and play the hell out of those ukes!

-Steve

Nice Pair Eddie......:) I say that alot :) I see you are in the upgrading....cool man Happy strummings...
Yes Mike has gone back to work since december I think last year for supervisor for the National Workshop

The Nylguts that came attached to my circa-2010 UC-1 from West Chester Music in Pennsylvania are STILL on it and they sound grand! Perfection! Just a different view from the rest offered so far, that's all:

http://vimeo.com/84274207

LOVE these mahogany Collings! :eek:

The Nylguts that came attached to my circa-2010 UC-1 from West Chester Music in Pennsylvania are STILL on it and they sound grand! Perfection! Just a different view from the rest offered so far, that's all:

http://vimeo.com/84274207

LOVE these mahogany Collings! :eek:

Matt, that did sound good. Thanks for the video The uke matters more than the strings for sure. Did you say those strings have been on since 2010 ? :eek: I think it is time to put on new strings (even new Nylguts). :)

Matt, that did sound good. Thanks for the video The uke matters more than the strings for sure. Did you say those strings have been on since 2010 ? :eek: I think it is time to put on new strings (even new Nylguts). :)

Ha! 'Tis true! I'm such a slumper, though :eek: Not the biggest fan of the Aquilas myself, either, but they sure do sound right on this old thing. Haha.

Thanks, all. @Soupking, had I known, I would have sent you the Nylgut's I took off. Sorry.

The Living Waters sound much better to me, but I really want to try the Aquila Reds. I'm like that grandmother in that hot sauce commercial, "I put that sh*t on everything!". ;-)

Will have to check out Savarez, too. Steve, where do you buy yours? I normally shop at Strings and Beyond and they don't carry them. It was my understanding that the one spec'd on the newer production ukes are non-standard gauges.

Will have to check out Savarez, too. Steve, where do you buy yours? I normally shop at Strings and Beyond and they don't carry them. It was my understanding that the one spec'd on the newer production ukes are non-standard gauges.

I typically buy mine from either Strings by Mail, or Elderly. And last I checked (including what has come on my last couple of Collings), they were still using the Savarez 150R set for their tenors, and the 140R set for their concerts.

-Steve

Top Bottom