Ndd

How cool. My local area has a pretty strong dulcimer community and it pairs well with ukulele. I strum with one of the dulcimer groups and it is a lot of fun. Post some pics if you get a chance!

My wife bought me a nice solid redwood mountain dulcimer after 36 years.
Got it Tuesday, can play on the Banks of the Ohio, a weird old murder song.

The dulcimer makes the uke sound loud.

Pictures or it didn't happen. :)

Yep. Need some pics.

Btw after 36 years of what? She sounds like a winner.

Pictures or it didn't happen. :)
I picked the Dulcimer out 100% based on sound. For our Anniversary we went to see Tommy Emmanuel at the old Newberry, SC opera house. Then off to Black Mountain where at The Song of the Wood, Mary let me play just about every mountain Dulcimer they had. She was super nice as I hacked my way through amazing grace on each one. The one I picked had a very full tone. Its Redwood. Here is some pics and a short vid of me learning "banks of the Ohio". I am terrible, but this is after playing it for 1 or so hours, so I am rather happy with the progress. It will require I get more fretting finger callouses in different parts of the fingers for sure.

http://youtu.be/xr9FUKIbOwE

Thanks for sharing. Nice full sound. I like redwood as a tone wood. Gone to experiment with tunings and/or strings?

Thanks for sharing. Nice full sound. I like redwood as a tone wood. Gone to experiment with tunings and/or strings?
I'll probably try a few tunings. So far I've tried mixlodyan - Dad and Cgc and Ionian - Daa.

My big goal is to learn 12 songs by heart in the 2 months. So far I can play Banks of the Ohio and Crawdad song. My technique is poor but I have something I can practice to improve that. I am goiing to to try nine pound hammer next. I am finding it is a lot of fun to arrange you own version of songs.

Really having a lot of fun.

Your Missus looks a little dubious there at the start of your video...kind of a "what did I get myself into" sort of look!

I love "Banks of the Ohio" - it's got such a pretty melody, oddly tied to such a violent lyric. I actually live on the banks of the Ohio (5 minute walk anyway). If they wrote that song today, instead of a murder ballad, it'd be a meth lab ballad.

Top Bottom