8 string ukes questions

keithy351

Reaction score
g'day, well ive been going through youtube checking out some possible new ukes, and i came across and 8 string ukulele :eek: and dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm am i intreaged by them, they looook fantastic, i love the look and the sound, they just seem so sharp and rich, so im gonna ask a few q's cause im throwing out the posibility of getting one, now ive learnt on a cheap ass concert uke, so any upgrade is gonna be good, but whats different other then having 8 strings, like how would i have to change my playing, can u still pick with these ukes, is it still standard uke tuning?? what r they like to play, can i still play all more normal songs ive learnt? is chords still the same? and whats an ok one for around $350 US.... also any extra info would be awsome, as i know nothing about them but want to know everything

your fingers may have to re-adjust to get used to the extra 4 strings that are there. chord shapes should still be the same because the extra 4 strings are tuned to the same note (but may be an octave lower on some). 8 string ukes tend to a much fuller tone. you should still be able to play everything you know right now.

i just haven't had experience with playing in a picking style with one yet. might need to consult someone else for that one

Yeah, 8-strings are pretty nifty. I think they sound really psychedelic and they do look pretty cool.
On an 8 string the strings are in sets of two, so you get 4 pairs of strings if you know what I mean. So you'll need to get used to pressing both strings.
It's hard to pick them because of the strings being in pairs, but I've seen it done.
Some pairs of strings are tuned octaves apart, and some are tuned in unison. I'm not sure which ones though, sorry.
You should be able to play most strummed songs, once again picking might be an issue though.
Chords are still the same, it's exactly like playing a gCEA uke.
Kala do a nice 6 and 8 string uke. Here's one. I think Nukedoc uses a modified six string with two strings taken off. And his sounds pretty solid.

I hope that helps!

One of the Mandolin players where I took my lessons has an 8 string Uke and man can he rip it apart... comes from playin a mando for about 10 years he said.

If you want to see some crazy fingerpickin watch a mandloin player!!!!

I don't own an 8 stringer but I do wown a 6 stringer. I pick my six stringer but not like my four stringer. I was told that an eight stringer is very difficult to pick but I think if you picked the paired strings it would be ok. My six stringer does have a unique sound and it took me about 3 months to get used to it. I use it to play with my guitar playing friend b/c it gives me more volume.
On a side note there is a gentelment on the market place here trying to sale a 6 string pono solid koa fairly close to your price range.

but whats different other then having 8 strings, like how would i have to change my playing,
I think an 8 string uke gives a different dimension when playing and no you won't have to change your playing style.
can u still pick with these ukes,
Yup you sure can.
is it still standard uke tuning?? what r they like to play, can i still play all more normal songs ive learnt?
Standard tuning, GCEA. G and C strings are octaved and the E and A strings are unison. You just gotta get used to the idea you're pressing on two strings instead of one.
is chords still the same? and whats an ok one for around $350 US....
Chords and shapes are still the same.
also any extra info would be awsome, as i know nothing about them but want to know everything
The width of the FB may be a tad wider than a 4 string. Basically it's the same instrument with and additional 4 string and string sets costs a bit more.

So...tuning is gGcCEEAA

I have an 8-string Pono and love it. I bought it more with the intent to strum; I'm new at this game and haven't done any picking. I can see that it would take more practice - but I know people who pick a 12-string guitar, so I'm sure the 8-string uke is just as possible.

I love the rich, full, bright sound of my 8-string.

I have a Lanikai 8-string and I love the sound - when it's in tune. Tuning is not difficult, just a bit finicky and even a small variance can be annoying. But once it's set up, it is a sweet, rich sound.

I have no problems playing an 8-string - picking or strumming, although it may take some practice to pick so you get the string pairs instead of the singles. It's not always the best uke for all songs, but it's a nice addition to any uke collection.

They have a ridiculously deep sound, but the extras make picking a little tricky

sometimes i like to get an extra wound G string and throw it on my bottom A spot to give a low A. it's a subtle difference, but i like it once in while. my tradewinds video has a low A.

there's a girl who RIPS on a 8string. i think taimane is her name. look for her on youtube.

. . .there's a girl who RIPS on a 8string. i think taimane is her name. look for her on youtube.
Yea, that's Taimane Gardner and in one vid if you look closely at her 8 string Kamaka, the E and A strings are singles.

thanks everyone, i really like the look of the kala ones, they retail for about $349US, i think i may get one, not now though but some time down the track, my list of ukes i plan to ahve within the next 4 od months is a good quality tenor, and 8 string and a pono concert... the tenor is comming first, looking to buy in the next few weeks

Top Bottom