2B, 4B, peghed or ? for Fluke

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
Ok, new Fluke owner here. I went totally stock Walnut Tenor. Am I safe to assume that the stock friction tuners are Grover 2B. If so, are the 4B that much different and better ( qualified... for friction tuners?). I'm not a fan of the stock tuners. I can get them to work but…………
Comments from those that spent $12.00 for the 4B's. or something else?
I hesitated to get the pegheds when I ordered my Fluke only because of the upgrade charge ( which is fair for pefheds) for this price of this instrument. How much better are pedheds than the friction tuners? Are there better drop in friction tuners I should look at above 4B's. I've read KoAloha owners loving their friction tuners.

Finally, I've seen a thread and a video where two people have take Grover open heard tuners and filed down to fit. Do I need to go this trouble to get my Fluke rock solid in the tuning department.

Comments please.

I have a couple of fleas and and a fluke (concert size wood and composite fret boards) which I ordered from magic fluke company. I always ordered with the 4b tuners and they work perfect and I have the same 4b tuners on my DaSilva #34 soprano and again they work perfect. I may not play for a couple of months and when I pull the ukes out to play again they are in perfect tune.

Thanks for reply. Are the 4B then just drop in replacement? If so, easy, I can order them and put them in for low $$$. I've already had the stock ones off and on again. Stock are working but you over shoot and undershoot notes and to keep in tune you need to have the pegs pretty stiff. Would you say 4B are smoother when turning the peg?

One thing I do like is how fast it is to do a string change with slot bridge and 1 to 1 tuners. Much faster than all the cranking. Key for me is once I've settled the strings down ( I do a lot of pre stretch when putting them on) that I can approach the target not and lock it in…. I guess I want smooth turns and not as much tension to keep it locked in.

What is the installed price of PEGHEDS in a Fle/Flu instrument? Nothing is lighter and more positive in a geared tuner.
I have a set on a little Mahalo orange soprano. The side port is also covered on the back side with a piece of micro suede. Not looking into the naked inside means from all angles, it is obviously an OSU BEAVER!!

on my fluke i relaced the grover 2b with 4bs. I wasn't too keen on the amount of tightening required for the 2bs. Yes the 4bs are smoother, but me personally? I think I like a little bit of grit. That way I can tell the tuner is actually moving when it makes tiny skips. I don't have any of that feedback with the 4bs.

So, I added washers on the outside of headstock on the 2B's as suggested in the Magic Fluke appreciation thread. If definately stopped the chrome washer from digging in. It settle down the tuning a bit and bonus is the chrome open back washer isn't doffing into my headstock.

That being said, I think I'm going to order Pegheds. I just can't live with the grind . TheCraftedCow…….I have seen in other post that you are a reseller for Pegheds. Do you have the same ones that Magic Fluke have as a upgrade. If you could PM me with a price and delivery by mail to Canada. I want minimum work at my end. From the MFC site, it says their version pretty much fits the 5/16" hole that the 2B's are in but some people might like to ream hole a bit to get more Peghed shaft into the Fluke Slotted headstock. I'm asking for clarification on that one.

I did consider just getting some geared Grover open back and modify them but actually kinda like the speed and look of the 2B's just wish I had the planetary geared aspect. 4 to 1 ration seems good. So, I'm thinking Pegheds.

I did look at Gotoh Stealthy tuners but more money than Pegheds and harder to get for me.

I think next Fluke or Flea will come with Pegheds from MFC
MT

Yes,ordered pegheds from MFC. They came in one week via mail. Instructions were good. i had to purchase a $25.00 tapered reamer to taper the stock 5/16" hole left by the friction tuners. Very easy to do. One caution, which I read in another post.......you don't need to ream very much out. Go slow and you will be fine. I suggested to Dale to pre taper all stock holes in future and they would likely sell more upgrades. The pegheds work fantastic. It's really the best upgrade and I would never get another fluke without one.

Both of my Magic Fluke instruments (Tenor Fluke and Firefly Banjo Uke) have the pegheds and wooden fret boards. The Fluke was the first instrument I ever had with them, and I decided that was the way to go for any other Magic Fluke Product I would ever get. Definitely worth the upgrade price.

I'm not comfortable with friction tuners - although I can use them, I'd rather not - and when I ordered my Donaldson Custom uke, I specified Pegheds; lucky for me, that's what Bradford puts on anyway.

I will be getting the GoToh planetary tuners for the National Reso Uke, however - much closer look to original equipment that the Pegheds, and similar enough to the planetary pegs I had put on my 5-string banjo years ago that there is no learning curve.

-Kurt​

Yes, Pegheds are excellent and I will try UPTL Gotoh on my next Tenor. I think the 4:1 ratio is perfect for Ukulele.

Top Bottom