Season 124 - Ready...Set...Write!

OldePhart

Reaction score

Okay - it's songwriting week. Something I've thought for a while now would be a cool theme. I've been away for a while so I'm not sure if it's been done. If so, we're doing it again.

First - basic rules apply. Ukulele front and center, don't post until Sunday, you've got until midnight Hawaii time next Sunday, mention that it's for week 124 of the seasons, don't be a jerk, etc.

Multiple entries okay, but you might be better off to polish one than try to write several songs...just sayin' :)

Keep it clean, please.

You can multi-track, green screen, etc. but if it doesn't really add to the lyrics and the match up between lyrics and tune you'll be wasting your time as that's what I'll be evaluating the entries on. This is one of those weeks where one of us croaking toads has an equal shot with the songbirds - it's all about the song, less about delivery.

I want to see original lyrics written this week - this can be an original parody of a song, an original song that borrows a tune from another song, or original lyrics and tune. Obviously, we're on the honor system for whether you wrote it this week or five years ago.

Languages other than English are fine - but please provide an English translation either as subtitles on the movie or in the post here on UU. Non-English lyrics won't hurt your chances if the meaning of the lyrics flow with the tune; I don't speak Navajo or Gaelic but love to listen to songs sung in those languages, for example.

I don't want to preclude anybody from having a whack at this so, if you never sing you can submit an original instrumental tune or arrangement, written this week. But, if you sing even occasionally in your videos please sharpen your pencil and give it a go.

There are some folks who participate in the Seasons who are very prolific songwriters. To level the playing field a bit I'm adding a couple of requirements for anyone who has submitted three or more original songs or original parodies in previous seasons or who considers themselves a reasonably prolific songwriter (again, honor system here, you know who you are).

For these folks there is the additional requirement that you must use one of the phrases below in your song, it has to be used in a way that "fits" the song - not just jammed in as an oddity - and the song must comply with the associated rule. The phrase must be used exactly. I.e. "...overloaded boxcar..." or "...overloaded boxcars..." - not "...some boxcars were overloaded..."

Obviously, anyone is welcome to impose this additional requirement on themselves.

Phrases you prolific writers can choose from:

1) overloaded boxcar(s) - but the song cannot be primarily about a train or trains or a train wreck, etc.

2) petrified petunia(s) - but the song cannot be primarily about a garden or gardening or flowers, etc.

3) writer's block - but the song cannot be primarily about writing

4) superb cheese(s) - but the song cannot be primarily about food, cooking, eating, making cheese, etc.

5) angry chipmunk - but the song can't be primarily about chipmunks, a specific chipmunk, animals in general, etc.

Finally, I may be slow to respond and comment. I was out sick from work a few days and that put me really behind, plus my oldest daughter and her family are down from Idaho this week and next, so I have to take the rare opportunity to be a bad influence on that set of grand kids.

I will view all the videos and comment on them, but it may not be until near the end of the week when the family goes back to Idaho and I have caught up a bit at work.

Judging will be pretty informal - I'll probably pick six that appeal to me the most for whatever reason and then let a roll of the dice decide the final winner.

Okay...you may turn over your answer sheets and open your test booklets...now!

EDIT:
Ginny PM'd me that I shouldn't have posted this so early. Sorry about that, I'm going to be out and about with family in from out of town so it was post it now or possibly not some time until tomorrow evening, depending on what the kids are planning. So, go back and put all your 'tention on Season 123 where it belongs. :)

EDIT: 6/30 5:16P Central - if you have songs that you have written in the past you can enter them as bonus tracks, just please let me know it's a bonus track. Thanks!
John

Last edited:
Keep it clean, please.

John

Keeping it Clean for the GKids:) Great idea and I know just how you feel about that one. Heres a little help about that just incase you haven't already figured it out. If someone posts something you feel is objectionable in your playlist you can make that playlist "unlisted" or ask the person to make his video unlisted. The public (GKids/kids) then have to view that video via this thread.

I think my season had a record of unlisted vids. Youtube did do one thing right!:worship::biglaugh:

ooh great theme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm sure ginny knows what she's talking about, but i cannot deny that as a UK peep it was really nice to see the new theme up when i popped on the computer just now (kind of tea time in the UK) - because of course tea time in the US (the target time for posting a new theme) can be midnight or later over here!

so this saves me going to the seasonal anticipation thread and having a huff and a puff!!!!!!!!

Sure, there's finally a theme that's right in my wheelhouse, so I get extra rules! That makes me one angry chipmunk!

:mad:

My siblings want me to write a song for my mother's 90th birthday in a month, and I thought this week would be a good motivation to sit down and do it. But it will be hard to fit one of those phrases in.

ooh great theme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm sure ginny knows what she's talking about, but i cannot deny that as a UK peep it was really nice to see the new theme up when i popped on the computer just now (kind of tea time in the UK) - because of course tea time in the US (the target time for posting a new theme) can be midnight or later over here!

so this saves me going to the seasonal anticipation thread and having a huff and a puff!!!!!!!!

I agree with you, Lynda. I was quite pleased to see the next next week's challenge up Saturday tea time. I can't see it really matters if it's a little early as the start time remains the same, 00.00 Sunday, Hawaii. John clearly had a good reason.

Interesting theme. Definite challenge, though I've had idea brewing the past couple of days. Looks like I'll have to do something about it.

Last edited:
so, I ate some superb cheese before bedtime and I had the strangest dream, I was an angry chipmonk driving an overloaded boxcar full of petrified petunias, some might say it would be excellent material for a song but I seem to have writers block.

Hi all, great theme John and great to see you back. i doubt i will have time to put in the required effort for this week, as working super amount of hours. But just watching the footie and i am also taking a break from uke playing at the moment. but i just knocked these words / lyrics up using all your phrases if anyone wants to use these for there lyrics your more than welcome if that is allowed or is it against the rules, if so just read it here as a poem cheers all and see ya around :)

Keep It Clean by David Mascall 2014 (whilst watching the footie.)

Ive got writers block, but that comes as no shock,
Cos it don’t come with no ease,
it aint smooth as superb cheese.
My mind is racing running to far,
its outta control like overloaded box cars.

I gotta keep it clean, no jazz or acid funk,
Damn this makes me mad like an angry chipmunk,
I got a dirty mind, like a rabid dog I will chew at ya
Like a rabbit in a headlight, or a petrified petunia,
I cant work it out, so I guess I will just fool ya.

Ive got no morals, some say no taste,
Im lacking in skills, so they don’t go to waste.
Im so mean, yeah so mean I really don’t wanna keep it clean.

Im no son of the church upstairs or below,
If I died tonight I sure know where I’ll go,
I’ll meet Robert Johnson down on the street,
I’ll give him a smile and we’ll curse and we’ll greet
He’ll say son your no angel, hell you aint even mean,
But I heard all about you boy, you cant keep it clean.

Last edited:
so, I ate some superb cheese before bedtime and I had the strangest dream, I was an angry chipmonk driving an overloaded boxcar full of petrified petunias, some might say it would be excellent material for a song but I seem to have writers block.
lol! don't you just hate it when all that happens?!

Ive got writers block, but that comes as no shock,
Cos it don’t come with no ease,
it aint smooth as superb cheese.
My mind is racing running to far,
its outta control like overloaded box cars.

I gotta keep it clean, no jazz or acid funk,
Damn this makes me mad like an angry chipmunk,
I got a dirty mind, like a rabid dog I will chew at ya
Like a rabbit in a headlight, or a petrified petunia,
I cant work it out, so I guess I will just fool ya.

Ive got no morals, some say no taste,
Im lacking in skills, so they don’t go to waste.
Im so mean, yeah so mean I really don’t wanna keep it clean.

Im no son of the church upstairs or below,
If I died tonight I sure know where I’ll go,
I’ll meet Robert Johnson down on the street,
I’ll give him a smile and we’ll curse and we’ll greet
He’ll say son your no angel, hell you aint even mean,
But I heard all about you boy, you cant keep it clean.
:bowdown:

Perfect follow-up to Berni week, John. Great challenge.

Very good point, Ralf. Folks will have been inspired by the great Bernito by now and should be chomping at the bit to write the next, "What does the Fox Say?" or "In a Gadda da Vida" or "Mambo Sun" (there you go BEV).

there you go BEV
ooh mambo sun

thank you so much alan - when i read the fine print for anyone who's written a few songs - and i don't think i can wriggle out of it by whining to our good host "but mate, they are hardly songs at all, i mean really, i dunno what you'd call them!" - i was thinking "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek" and "HELP!"... but yeah, maybe i need to channel my inner marc bolan. that guy could write songs about ANYTHING - and frequently did!

:bowdown: marc

:bowdown: alan

Overloaded boxcars full of polycarbonate
Head out across the country to every town and state
And little bits of plastic that never go away
Wash up on remote beaches every single day

Everything we buy is designed not to last
And when it no longer functions into the bin is cast
Pete sang about the stuff we use then throw away
But who ever to listens to what wise men say

Turtles, fish and baleen whales eat the plastic up
Dead seabirds rot on the beach with plastic still in their gut
And yet thousands of plastic toys are what Santa brings
All piled in plastic stockings tied up with plastic string

I'm singing my hate for plastic on my plastic flea
So grab your plastic ukes and sing along with me
So little bits of plastic that never go away
Can keep washing up on beaches every single day

Last edited:
As there where some lyrics supplied for people that write songs more often, and I thought (as some others did, as you can see on the previous page) to write a song that contains them all. This might become a bonus somewhere later on in the week, if I can write a better song before the season is over.
Lyrics/chords are here:
http://www.vanommen.net/Season124.pdf

I just want to know who put the writer's block of superb cheese on the angry chipmunk in front of the overloaded boxcar of petrified petunias?

And are we looking for original-ish melodies, or can we borrow liberally?

Songwriting. Great challenge! I haven't seriously tried to construct a song in years, so this Season is a great opportunity to try to stretch a little. As soon as this Season's theme was announced, I knew what I wanted to do, I'm been playing with a cute little chord progression for a while now, so I decided to expand it into a song. Hope you like it!
You're My Girl

Songwriting. Great challenge! I haven't seriously tried to construct a song in years, so this Season is a great opportunity to try to stretch a little. As soon as this Season's theme was announced, I knew what I wanted to do, I'm been playing with a cute little chord progression for a while now, so I decided to expand it into a song. Hope you like it!
You're My Girl

Very nicely written and played. Your uke sounds great and your voice is spot on.

Here's an original I wrote for my family. For some reason I felt really nervous about this. I'm still not confident about writing and performing originals so this was a good kick in the butt for that.

I've got my mom
But I don't have my dad
I lost him to cancer
You know that was so sad

But he taught me one thing
I'll never forget
Spend time with your family
And you'll have no regret

The family man - that's me
Yeah the family man - that's me

When it comes to possessions
I ain't got a lot