PDA

View Full Version : Season 124 - Ready...Set...Write!

OldePhart
06-28-2014, 04:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTxo4mgaa7c

Okay - it's songwriting week. Something I've thought for a while now would be a cool theme. I've been away for a while so I'm not sure if it's been done. If so, we're doing it again.

First - basic rules apply. Ukulele front and center, don't post until Sunday, you've got until midnight Hawaii time next Sunday, mention that it's for week 124 of the seasons, don't be a jerk, etc.

Multiple entries okay, but you might be better off to polish one than try to write several songs...just sayin' :)

Keep it clean, please.

You can multi-track, green screen, etc. but if it doesn't really add to the lyrics and the match up between lyrics and tune you'll be wasting your time as that's what I'll be evaluating the entries on. This is one of those weeks where one of us croaking toads has an equal shot with the songbirds - it's all about the song, less about delivery.

I want to see original lyrics written this week - this can be an original parody of a song, an original song that borrows a tune from another song, or original lyrics and tune. Obviously, we're on the honor system for whether you wrote it this week or five years ago.

Languages other than English are fine - but please provide an English translation either as subtitles on the movie or in the post here on UU. Non-English lyrics won't hurt your chances if the meaning of the lyrics flow with the tune; I don't speak Navajo or Gaelic but love to listen to songs sung in those languages, for example.

I don't want to preclude anybody from having a whack at this so, if you never sing you can submit an original instrumental tune or arrangement, written this week. But, if you sing even occasionally in your videos please sharpen your pencil and give it a go.

There are some folks who participate in the Seasons who are very prolific songwriters. To level the playing field a bit I'm adding a couple of requirements for anyone who has submitted three or more original songs or original parodies in previous seasons or who considers themselves a reasonably prolific songwriter (again, honor system here, you know who you are).

For these folks there is the additional requirement that you must use one of the phrases below in your song, it has to be used in a way that "fits" the song - not just jammed in as an oddity - and the song must comply with the associated rule. The phrase must be used exactly. I.e. "...overloaded boxcar..." or "...overloaded boxcars..." - not "...some boxcars were overloaded..."

Obviously, anyone is welcome to impose this additional requirement on themselves.

Phrases you prolific writers can choose from:

1) overloaded boxcar(s) - but the song cannot be primarily about a train or trains or a train wreck, etc.

2) petrified petunia(s) - but the song cannot be primarily about a garden or gardening or flowers, etc.

3) writer's block - but the song cannot be primarily about writing

4) superb cheese(s) - but the song cannot be primarily about food, cooking, eating, making cheese, etc.

5) angry chipmunk - but the song can't be primarily about chipmunks, a specific chipmunk, animals in general, etc.

Finally, I may be slow to respond and comment. I was out sick from work a few days and that put me really behind, plus my oldest daughter and her family are down from Idaho this week and next, so I have to take the rare opportunity to be a bad influence on that set of grand kids.

I will view all the videos and comment on them, but it may not be until near the end of the week when the family goes back to Idaho and I have caught up a bit at work.

Judging will be pretty informal - I'll probably pick six that appeal to me the most for whatever reason and then let a roll of the dice decide the final winner.

Okay...you may turn over your answer sheets and open your test booklets...now!

EDIT:
Ginny PM'd me that I shouldn't have posted this so early. Sorry about that, I'm going to be out and about with family in from out of town so it was post it now or possibly not some time until tomorrow evening, depending on what the kids are planning. So, go back and put all your 'tention on Season 123 where it belongs. :)

EDIT: 6/30 5:16P Central - if you have songs that you have written in the past you can enter them as bonus tracks, just please let me know it's a bonus track. Thanks!
John

lelouden
06-28-2014, 07:10 AM
Keep it clean, please.

John

Keeping it Clean for the GKids:) Great idea and I know just how you feel about that one. Heres a little help about that just incase you haven't already figured it out. If someone posts something you feel is objectionable in your playlist you can make that playlist "unlisted" or ask the person to make his video unlisted. The public (GKids/kids) then have to view that video via this thread.

I think my season had a record of unlisted vids. Youtube did do one thing right!:worship::biglaugh:

bird's eye view of my ukelele
06-28-2014, 07:41 AM
ooh great theme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm sure ginny knows what she's talking about, but i cannot deny that as a UK peep it was really nice to see the new theme up when i popped on the computer just now (kind of tea time in the UK) - because of course tea time in the US (the target time for posting a new theme) can be midnight or later over here!

so this saves me going to the seasonal anticipation thread and having a huff and a puff!!!!!!!!

uke4ia
06-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Sure, there's finally a theme that's right in my wheelhouse, so I get extra rules! That makes me one angry chipmunk!

:mad:

My siblings want me to write a song for my mother's 90th birthday in a month, and I thought this week would be a good motivation to sit down and do it. But it will be hard to fit one of those phrases in.

Tootler
06-28-2014, 08:13 AM
ooh great theme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm sure ginny knows what she's talking about, but i cannot deny that as a UK peep it was really nice to see the new theme up when i popped on the computer just now (kind of tea time in the UK) - because of course tea time in the US (the target time for posting a new theme) can be midnight or later over here!

so this saves me going to the seasonal anticipation thread and having a huff and a puff!!!!!!!!

I agree with you, Lynda. I was quite pleased to see the next next week's challenge up Saturday tea time. I can't see it really matters if it's a little early as the start time remains the same, 00.00 Sunday, Hawaii. John clearly had a good reason.

Interesting theme. Definite challenge, though I've had idea brewing the past couple of days. Looks like I'll have to do something about it.

krabbers
06-28-2014, 08:18 AM
so, I ate some superb cheese before bedtime and I had the strangest dream, I was an angry chipmonk driving an overloaded boxcar full of petrified petunias, some might say it would be excellent material for a song but I seem to have writers block.

Tootler
06-28-2014, 08:41 AM
:smileybounce:

ukuleledaveey
06-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Hi all, great theme John and great to see you back. i doubt i will have time to put in the required effort for this week, as working super amount of hours. But just watching the footie and i am also taking a break from uke playing at the moment. but i just knocked these words / lyrics up using all your phrases if anyone wants to use these for there lyrics your more than welcome if that is allowed or is it against the rules, if so just read it here as a poem cheers all and see ya around :)

Keep It Clean by David Mascall 2014 (whilst watching the footie.)

Ive got writers block, but that comes as no shock,
Cos it don’t come with no ease,
it aint smooth as superb cheese.
My mind is racing running to far,
its outta control like overloaded box cars.

I gotta keep it clean, no jazz or acid funk,
Damn this makes me mad like an angry chipmunk,
I got a dirty mind, like a rabid dog I will chew at ya
Like a rabbit in a headlight, or a petrified petunia,
I cant work it out, so I guess I will just fool ya.

Ive got no morals, some say no taste,
Im lacking in skills, so they don’t go to waste.
Im so mean, yeah so mean I really don’t wanna keep it clean.

Im no son of the church upstairs or below,
If I died tonight I sure know where I’ll go,
I’ll meet Robert Johnson down on the street,
I’ll give him a smile and we’ll curse and we’ll greet
He’ll say son your no angel, hell you aint even mean,
But I heard all about you boy, you cant keep it clean.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Perfect follow-up to Berni week, John. Great challenge.

06-28-2014, 04:19 PM
so, I ate some superb cheese before bedtime and I had the strangest dream, I was an angry chipmonk driving an overloaded boxcar full of petrified petunias, some might say it would be excellent material for a song but I seem to have writers block.
lol! don't you just hate it when all that happens?!

Ive got writers block, but that comes as no shock,
Cos it don’t come with no ease,
it aint smooth as superb cheese.
My mind is racing running to far,
its outta control like overloaded box cars.

I gotta keep it clean, no jazz or acid funk,
Damn this makes me mad like an angry chipmunk,
I got a dirty mind, like a rabid dog I will chew at ya
Like a rabbit in a headlight, or a petrified petunia,
I cant work it out, so I guess I will just fool ya.

Ive got no morals, some say no taste,
Im lacking in skills, so they don’t go to waste.
Im so mean, yeah so mean I really don’t wanna keep it clean.

Im no son of the church upstairs or below,
If I died tonight I sure know where I’ll go,
I’ll meet Robert Johnson down on the street,
I’ll give him a smile and we’ll curse and we’ll greet
He’ll say son your no angel, hell you aint even mean,
But I heard all about you boy, you cant keep it clean.
:bowdown:

TCK
06-28-2014, 04:37 PM
If I write it- I am pretty sure it ain't gonna be clean

decaturcomp
06-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Perfect follow-up to Berni week, John. Great challenge.

Very good point, Ralf. Folks will have been inspired by the great Bernito by now and should be chomping at the bit to write the next, "What does the Fox Say?" or "In a Gadda da Vida" or "Mambo Sun" (there you go BEV).

06-28-2014, 06:42 PM
there you go BEV
ooh mambo sun

thank you so much alan - when i read the fine print for anyone who's written a few songs - and i don't think i can wriggle out of it by whining to our good host "but mate, they are hardly songs at all, i mean really, i dunno what you'd call them!" - i was thinking "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek" and "HELP!"... but yeah, maybe i need to channel my inner marc bolan. that guy could write songs about ANYTHING - and frequently did!

:bowdown: marc

:bowdown: alan

pabrizzer
06-29-2014, 12:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybTojpFzAZs
Overloaded boxcars full of polycarbonate
Head out across the country to every town and state
And little bits of plastic that never go away
Wash up on remote beaches every single day

Everything we buy is designed not to last
And when it no longer functions into the bin is cast
Pete sang about the stuff we use then throw away
But who ever to listens to what wise men say

Turtles, fish and baleen whales eat the plastic up
Dead seabirds rot on the beach with plastic still in their gut
And yet thousands of plastic toys are what Santa brings
All piled in plastic stockings tied up with plastic string

I'm singing my hate for plastic on my plastic flea
So grab your plastic ukes and sing along with me
So little bits of plastic that never go away
Can keep washing up on beaches every single day

xommen
06-29-2014, 01:04 AM
As there where some lyrics supplied for people that write songs more often, and I thought (as some others did, as you can see on the previous page) to write a song that contains them all. This might become a bonus somewhere later on in the week, if I can write a better song before the season is over.
Lyrics/chords are here:
http://www.vanommen.net/Season124.pdf

http://youtu.be/IeEL1kM0YuM

ksiegel
06-29-2014, 01:23 AM
I just want to know who put the writer's block of superb cheese on the angry chipmunk in front of the overloaded boxcar of petrified petunias?

And are we looking for original-ish melodies, or can we borrow liberally?

Cornfield
06-29-2014, 02:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybTojpFzAZs

Great message in your tune. I was thinking "how ironic that you were playing it on a plastic uke" till you got to the end.

Harry122
06-29-2014, 03:48 AM
Songwriting. Great challenge! I haven't seriously tried to construct a song in years, so this Season is a great opportunity to try to stretch a little. As soon as this Season's theme was announced, I knew what I wanted to do, I'm been playing with a cute little chord progression for a while now, so I decided to expand it into a song. Hope you like it!
You're My Girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu50eWebYfs&feature=youtu.be

Cornfield
06-29-2014, 04:32 AM
Songwriting. Great challenge! I haven't seriously tried to construct a song in years, so this Season is a great opportunity to try to stretch a little. As soon as this Season's theme was announced, I knew what I wanted to do, I'm been playing with a cute little chord progression for a while now, so I decided to expand it into a song. Hope you like it!
You're My Girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu50eWebYfs&feature=youtu.be

Very nicely written and played. Your uke sounds great and your voice is spot on.

Markwo
06-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Here's an original I wrote for my family. For some reason I felt really nervous about this. I'm still not confident about writing and performing originals so this was a good kick in the butt for that.

http://youtu.be/Wcg5SGN7Wwc

I've got my mom
But I don't have my dad
I lost him to cancer
You know that was so sad

But he taught me one thing
I'll never forget
Spend time with your family
And you'll have no regret

The family man - that's me
Yeah the family man - that's me

When it comes to possessions
I ain't got a lot
But I am thankful
For everything I've got

Folks talk about money
I don't have too much
But when it comes to families
I got the Midas touch

I've got a son
I've got my wife
He's my pride and joy
And she's the love of my life

Now other men
May have all the riches in the world
But I got something that they'll never have
I've got the perfect girl

I never go out
and hang with the boys
I spend time with my family yeah
I've made my choice

I love them so much
and they love me
when were all together
there's no place I'd rather be

There's just one goal
that I have in life
be a good father to my son and a
good husband to my wife

UkeCan1
06-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Here's an original I wrote for my family. For some reason I felt really nervous about this. I'm still not confident about writing and performing originals so this was a good kick in the butt for that.

http://youtu.be/Wcg5SGN7Wwc

Mark, that was so great! I think it's not at all surprising you would feel nervous about it ... it's a very personal song. And, it made me cry - totally touched me. I feel like I just got to know you and your family. Beautiful. And, I get it. :)

Markwo
06-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Mark, that was so great! I think it's not at all surprising you would feel nervous about it ... it's a very personal song. And, it made me cry - totally touched me. I feel like I just got to know you and your family. Beautiful. And, I get it. :)

Wow! Thanks a lot! I'm feeling a bit better about it now. (We have a really nice family here too!)

pabrizzer
06-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Here's an original I wrote for my family.

Terrific song here Mark! Loved this HUGE mate!

OldePhart
06-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Keeping it Clean for the GKids:) ...
Thanks Linda...I knew you could make vids unlisted, didn't know you could do it with whole playlists.

John

ukuleledaveey
06-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Howdy Gang well my break from the uke didn't last long he he he, I hope this entry counts and hoping i haven't flouted any rules, if so i apologize. I wrote some lyrics today and then messaged Pabrizzer asking if he would be able to provide some music to it and he very kindly did. I wasn't going to post this song but i feel i owe it to Pa. So here is a original song lyrics by me, music by Pabrizzer and performed here by me. Lyrics and chords below. Many thanks Pa for all your help & thank you for hosting John and great to see you back mate.

http://youtu.be/lsaeTtTw5aM

DAD –Lyrics written by David Mascall, Music written by Pabrizzer (Brian) 2014

Am_______________________________G
The doctor came and he took your soul away,
F________________________________________Am
The house is empty now, And guess it will stay that way.
G_____________________________Am
A ray of sunshine bounced across a shelf
G____________________________Am
A sea of particles surrounded by myself.

All other verses the same except for the bridge
It’s been five years and my feelings are still raw,
I cannot bare to drive near your front door,
The sound of children playing in the yard,
That was my playground, my mind would travel far.

I've treated this like a bridge
F__________________________Am
My pets and grandad they are buried there to,
F________________________Am
The weeping willow in the photo of you.

Sometimes I see you out the corner of my eye,
Gives me the hope that I get to say goodbye.
But you still burn real bright, in my heart and in my soul,
Till were together side by side in that hole.

I put some flowers by your grave last night,
The rabbits jumped about startled by the fright,
The birds were singing, leaves rustled in the trees
I kissed your headstone as sat bended on my knees.

The open field’s dad, they sure are a great view,
Everyone tells me I’m looking more and more like you.
But that’s okay I guess in fact I’m rather proud,
Cos I’m not half the man, that still rocks my world.

OldePhart
06-29-2014, 11:28 AM
You guys ROCK!

Great first verse, but what are you going to follow it with! Actually, I considered mentioning that if somebody could manage to use them all they'd have my undying admiration...

Hi all, great theme John and great to see you back. i doubt i will have time to put in the required effort for this week, as working super amount of hours...
Amazing lyrics, and definitely qualifies! Though you'll need to sing it or get someone else to for it to be "official."

Overloaded boxcars full of polycarbonate...
Amazing Brian...you guys floor me. I thought this was going to be a tough week...looks like it's going to be a tough-to-judge week

As there where some lyrics supplied for people that write songs more often, and I thought (as some others did, as you can see on the previous page) to write a song that contains them all. This might become a bonus somewhere later on in the week, if I can write a better song before the season is over.
Lyrics/chords are here:
http://www.vanommen.net/Season124.pdf

Love it!

I just want to know who put the writer's block of superb cheese on the angry chipmunk in front of the overloaded boxcar of petrified petunias?

And are we looking for original-ish melodies, or can we borrow liberally?
Borrow liberally? Heck, you can outright steal the melody!

You're My Girl

Very nice, I cannot believe we have this many entries in the first day!

Here's an original I wrote for my family. For some reason I felt really nervous about this.
Very nice Mark, and nothing to be nervous about at all. Obviously a song from the heart and those are the best kind.

I will try to get some time to start the play list tomorrow evening...and for some reason I suspect I'm going to have another whole set of vids to view. Sorry I can't be more active but like Daveey work is pretty demanding right now plus I've got family in town from out of state.

Thanks to all who are participating or planning to or just cheering the others on. Hopefully near the end of the week I'll be able to be a little more active.

John

06-29-2014, 03:42 PM
here is my vid

i really dig the groovy prize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nllf1ixvKKI

chords are D D F G
over and over and over
and over
'til you can't take no more

oh, how did you know, how did you know
oh, how did you know, how did you know
i love stationery, i love it passionately
i love stationery, i think it's really sexy
that pen, please give it to me
that pen, it's a dream, a fantasy
if i had that pen, if i had that pen
then all the men, to my yard would flock
because i bet it cures writer's block
everybody wants it, everybody needs it
that pen, that pen, that pen, that pen
gimme that pen, yeah
'cos i want it, yeah

UkeCan1
06-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Of course, if you give me five prompts to choose from, I have only one choice ... use them all.

That made for kind of a fun project ... how to tie them all together into a coherent story that made some kind of sense ... at least inside the whimsical world in which it exists.

http://youtu.be/QUxW7sC73-g

Stickler alert: The song clearly fits the rules for prompts 1 ("overloaded boxcar") and 5 ("angry chipmunks"). It includes them both, and is not about either. The fact that I may have stretched one or more of the others should not invalidate its "countiness". (Nor should my making up of words that do not exist.)

For prompt 2 ("petrified Petunia"), I capitalized Petunia and made her into a (familiar) character.

For prompt 3 ("writer's block"), I transformed the usual meaning into something else punny and fitting with prompt 4.

Prompt 4 ("superb cheese"), because of the string of consonants in the middle and the accent on the last sylLABle of "superb", was the hardest one to sing. So of course I made that the chorus and the title, and repeated it a whole bunch of times.

The fact that it is the title, and the answer to the dilemma posed by the anger of the chipmunks and the petrification of Petunia, by no means indicates that the song is about the cheese. It's about love and brotherhood, and having a big party, and how shared experience of joyful things can bring us all together as one.

The cheese (as are all good cheeses) is merely a metaphor.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-29-2014, 04:32 PM
After playing "Manhattan" by Cat Power (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybjpIt9oPuo) all week, I was pretty much stuck with these chords, and I went ahead and wrote my song about a place as well. Thanks for kick in the pants, John.

http://youtu.be/X4-O1angBBo

Southern Idaho Lights (R. Youtz)

Overloaded boxcar wall---
No room left for your name.
No one’s ever gonna know about you down the line.

Edge of town, pick up truck,
Canyon rim, cowboy holler---
That’s the kind of trouble you had best avoid.
(No walking by the river tonight.)

Small town street, no one in sight;
Small town street, no one else out tonight;
Small town street, dark and alone---
And you know exactly where it goes.

Midnight, City Park, Saturday---
Lonely man waiting by the street light.
Will he ever find who he’s out looking for?

Cheap beer, cruising on the boulevard;
Pull on that can; hear the bass boom boom.
All those boys want more than they’ll ever find.
(But they’ll still be out looking all night.)

Does anybody see a way outta here?
Does anybody else feel alone?
Does anybody need a ride to the next town---
Anybody else want to go home?

verse chords:
G / / / Em / / /
G / / / Em / / /
D / / / / / / /
G / / / / / / /

chorus chords:
C / / / D / / /
C / / / D / / /
C / / / D / / /
D / / / G / / /

Jazzbanjorex
06-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Okay, I wrote a song. I hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ARiY4BMZ0&feature=youtu.be

bonesigh
06-29-2014, 05:45 PM
If anyone is wondering why I'm not posting any YT comments on your vids, though I doubt it, I'm not going to watch any entries until I've finished my own (: I've already written a song for this week using a couple of the "instructions song words", being a prolific writer of songs. Currently working on a tune for said song that my youngest daughter plucked out on her uke. But I'm also going to write one using them all and don't want to get any ideas in my head from watching what others have written.

I've also got my mom and one brother out here from CA so I am very busy. It was so fun to jam with the whole family the other day. We had my mom clapping, my hubby on the bongos, my youngest on the harmonica, my brother playing my UBass and me on the uke playing "Hawaiian Supa Man". What a blast!! See ya!

06-29-2014, 05:54 PM
bonesigh, i totally know what you mean, if i'd checked out the thread before posting my song, rather than posting my song and THEN catching up on everyone else's posts and vids, i might have thought "oh no, my song is lighter than air, and everyone else has brought stuff deeper than the ocean". i thought that ANYWAY, but at least i'd already posted my vid and it was too late to back out!

lelouden
06-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Yep! Thats exactly how Im feeling about now. How on earth are we not supposed to feel all the insecurities that comparisons bring on. Just know that its a real stretch to even think about entering something from me this week and Im going with easy...reaaaaaaal easy!

UkeyDave
06-30-2014, 12:45 AM
OK, its time to be silly. This one is just a daft ditty to the tune of Henry the Eighth I am. ;-)
I wanted to practice my "scrape" technique taught to me last week at a workshop held by the marvellous and amazing Ukulele Uff (here he is in action (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1ENE8fE9-M)) showing how the technique should be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCKya_VycEY

I’m Ukey Ukey Dave I am
Ukey Ukey Dave I am I am
This is season number 124
We’ve all been down this road before

Everyone loves a Season
They wouldn’t want another useless Jam
I’m the eighth old Dave called Ukey
Ukey Ukey Dave I am

cua94
06-30-2014, 02:44 AM
My entry for Season 124.

http://youtu.be/ZrQE1Twq4uc

Lyrics
You know I can't sleep without you
I can't nap without you
I can't rest and I can't snooze
Not sleeping this week, gives me the blues
You see I sleep well when you're here
I sleep great when you're near
I know that you're mine, I'll go drink some wine
I just can't sleep without you.

PS this is my 2nd attempt at a parody song. So fun!

decaturcomp
06-30-2014, 04:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSZEul7WUQw

I can think of at least two reasons this song doesn't qualify.
Sorry John. I'll try to be more of a follow the rules guy later in the week.
I'm grateful for the inspiration but, sadly, it didn't want to be corralled.

Is there going to be a playlist?
Thanks for hosting, it looks like a terrific season to me!

Songwriter’s Block - Alan Thornton
CH:
I feel like I am living on a Songwriters’ Block
There’s nothing we can’t write now
Make a subject baby, make it up ad hoc
Then start the meter running
and I’m sure we’ll beat the clock
because the Season’s is like living on
The World’s largest Songwriters’ block

The stength of this big family
is suport and love and care
no reason to feel skittish
there are new songs everywhere
the reason I am here is the
same reason you are there
because we all love music
though we’re just a little scared

But when you’ve written your first song
The bug may bite you hard
You’ll wake up with one in your head
and head out for the yard
and tap it on your keyboard
then you’ll add some chords you’ve barred
to share your thought with
folks you love
(tho’ my first draft I’ll discard)

CH:
I feel like I am living on a Songwriters’ Block
There’s nothing we can’t write now
Make a subject baby, make it up ad hoc
Then start the meter running
and I’m sure we’ll beat the clock
because the Season’s is like living on

The tune takes shape inside your head
It’s hard to play it wrong
just strum some chords and
read the words youve written for your song
Sometimes you’ll feel like the thing has
been there all along
Then tape that thing and send it out
to us, your family throng

CH:
and then you’ll feel like you’re living on a Songwriters’ Block
There’s nothing you can’t write now
We’l make up a subject baby, make it up ad hoc
Then we’ll start the meter running
and I’m sure you’ll beat the clock
‘Cause in the Season’s you are living on

UkeyDave
06-30-2014, 04:20 AM
You can use this as my main entry. Its called Dear Mr Oldephart. I actually sang an incorrect word to one which I writted. ;-) See if you can spot it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_vusX-paUk
And here are the lyrics

I don’t write songs
I don’t like being told what to do
Week one two four
My ideas are oh so few
But what the hell
Lets just give it a go
It wont be good
I wont be putting on a show

Oh keep it clean
Don’t overload my boxcar
Cause we wouldn’t want to upset
Poor little Oscar
A Petrified Petunia
Can be one angry chipmunk
My writers block
Turned into superb cheese

Now Mr Oldephart
I think you’ve got a nerve
To make me write this song
So you I can but serve
Well I tell you something now
I don’t write songs its true
I’ll do it just the once
Just for you

It wont make any sense
It wont be so unique
But into my brain
It may let you peek
My head is not a window
Into which your allowed
I’m not even bothered
That this don’t rhymed

I’m gonna sign off now
I think my task is done
I’ve wrote this little ditty
Without the mention of a gun
It doesn’t stick together
It really aint like glue
I suppose the pain is over
I’m just an old fart too.

Dougf
06-30-2014, 05:15 AM
I certainly don't consider myself a prolific songwriter, but I guess I have done a dozen or so originals for the seasons, so I did use one of the prompts. Pay attention or you'll likely miss it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCdQ3YGzZk

xommen
06-30-2014, 07:57 AM
Not sure if we can have multiple entries or bonuses but this is my second original for this week, it's called Pancakes.
I now want some pancakes myself ;).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYr-hsnwVSI
Lyrics here: http://www.vanommen.net/Pancakes.pdf

ddanner
06-30-2014, 08:42 AM
O.K. I've got bits and pieces of lyrics for a song that I have had on my PC for nearly two years. This would be a great opportunity for me to actually put it all together and post for SOTU 124. I've never completed this song because I thought I should have a "Bridge" in it. I know lots of songs do not, but I guess I felt compelled to create one for it as a "learning to write a song requirement" for myself. Now I am thinking that perhaps I just created an artificial block to give me a subconscious excuse to NOT finish it! :(

Would anyone like to offer some advice to: 1. help me determine if a bridge is actually needed, and 2., if I find I need one, how best to approach creating it from the melody or chord progression I have been using for the verses.

I know a Forum Format makes it difficult to carry on two way discussions so please feel free to PM me on this if you'd like to help. And, if I should have posted this question to a different sub-forum other thant SOTU please let me know. HELP! - ddanner

lelouden
06-30-2014, 10:02 AM
This week is going to be really busy for me! Thats my excuse:)

This song that I call "The Final Chapter" has been writing itself in my mind since last week.

I know it is extremely repetitive and for that I apologize!!!

Last week I did a DARK version of "In The Pines" and I mentioned to BEVMO that the song didn't seem finished in my vision and that I almost added some original lyrics but decided against it. Then this week popped up early in the day and my brain wouldn't let go of the song. So Im taking advantage of this week to kill the song and put it in the grave. I even added some petrified petunias in the beginning:D hahaha

Let me explain what you'll be seeing here. I have tried to follow your rules John. No lyrics from the original are used but it is set to the same tune and it is the "Final Chapters" of the story...all original. I have used the last few seconds of my video from last week to lead into this video so if your familiar with what I did last week (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reKvWXoZ3Ww) this truly is the final chapters to the story. I hope its acceptable and that it qualifies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEQrARG12kc

Killed a man, killed a man
hear 'em comin for me
and I listen to the cold winds blow

in the deepest darkest night
hear the dogs after me
hear the howlin in the whipping winds

Insrumental

Through the low crawlin fog
see the gallows raised for me
Soon be hanging, cold in the wind

The bi-tter night air
I can taste the death draw near
And the Devil is waitin for me

uke4ia
06-30-2014, 10:57 AM
O.K. I've got bits and pieces of lyrics for a song that I have had on my PC for nearly two years. This would be a great opportunity for me to actually put it all together and post for SOTU 124. I've never completed this song because I thought I should have a "Bridge" in it. I know lots of songs do not, but I guess I felt compelled to create one for it as a "learning to write a song requirement" for myself. Now I am thinking that perhaps I just created an artificial block to give me a subconscious excuse to NOT finish it! :(

Would anyone like to offer some advice to: 1. help me determine if a bridge is actually needed, and 2., if I find I need one, how best to approach creating it from the melody or chord progression I have been using for the verses.

I know a Forum Format makes it difficult to carry on two way discussions so please feel free to PM me on this if you'd like to help. And, if I should have posted this question to a different sub-forum other thant SOTU please let me know. HELP! - ddanner

If you're stuck for a bridge, a lot of times a bridge is done in the relative minor of the key the song is in. So if the song is in C, you start the bridge in Am. If the song is in G, start the bridge in Em, etc. That way the bridge will still sound like it fits with the rest of the song, while the minor gives that part of the song a different feel.

OldePhart
06-30-2014, 12:19 PM
No time to catch up on these excellent vids right now (I'm plumb tuckered) but I did make a small change to the original post. If you have songs that you have written in the past you are welcome to enter them as "bonus tracks" this week. Just state that they're a bonus and not an entry.

Thanks,
John

PS: Did I mention that you guys rock?!

Dougf
06-30-2014, 12:36 PM

In addition to the relative minor, as uke4ia mentioned, another device is to move up by a fourth, so say the original key is C, you would start the bridge with an F chord. Also, bridges typically end with the V7, or some variation thereof, so in the key of C that would be a G7.

Tootler
06-30-2014, 01:01 PM

A Bridge is not always necessary, it depends on the song. Putting one in can let you develop some aspect of the theme that maybe you didn't feel fits comfortably with the verses. As to what to do musically. Jim above suggested the relative minor of the key the song is in. Another common key change in the bridge is to change key to the dominant (that is the key based on the V chord of your original key), so if you are in C make the bridge in G. (G, C D7 chords). Notice the C chord is there so you can use a G to C progression at the end of the bridge to get back to C for the rest of the song.

I see Doug has suggested the other change I was going to suggest.

UkeCan1
06-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Oh, yay! So happy for the bonus theme. I wrote this song last week and video'd it Friday morning, so I only missed the boat for this theme by a few days. It's over on the "Seasonista Wrote This" thread, and FiL covered it in a tribute on Saturday, but I am very fond of it and was a bit sad it hasn't had a more prominent place to be seen.

I saw this meme on Facebook, and about an hour later it turned itself into a song. It pretty well encapsulates just about everything I think is important in life, so, if you missed it, I hope you take a moment to check it out.

I am a tiny potato, and I believe in you!

http://youtu.be/JJHwITD1bMU

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-30-2014, 01:48 PM

If I've only got "bits and pieces" of a song, I don't worry about it. I just repeat them a couple times.

If you're not sure if a song needs another part, try using a different melody over the same chords. That might do the trick. If you're sure you need another part, try to find a new chord that sounds good in context, but that takes the song to a different place. Then to write the bridge, figure out how many chords (if any) you need to get back to the original structure. I hope that makes sense. If you have any questions about these ideas, PM me.

ddanner
06-30-2014, 01:58 PM
If you're stuck for a bridge, a lot of times a bridge is done in the relative minor of the key the song is in. So if the song is in C, you start the bridge in Am. If the song is in G, start the bridge in Em, etc. That way the bridge will still sound like it fits with the rest of the song, while the minor gives that part of the song a different feel.

Thanks! That was a big help. I did get something figured out "sort of" along those lines. I am not sure if it technically meets the definition of a "Bridge" or not, but it works for me (at least for now) and I'm hoping I can now get this newly birthed (?nearly 2 years gestation on the PC, that's not good!) song recorded and uploaded asap. Thanks again for the help. What a wonderful bunch of folks I've been lucky enough to find here! Happy to now be a part of it.

ddanner
06-30-2014, 02:03 PM
If I've only got "bits and pieces" of a song, I don't worry about it. I just repeat them a couple times.

If you're not sure if a song needs another part, try using a different melody over the same chords. That might do the trick. If you're sure you need another part, try to find a new chord that sounds good in context, but that takes the song to a different place. Then to write the bridge, figure out how many chords (if any) you need to get back to the original structure. I hope that makes sense. If you have any questions about these ideas, PM me.

Thanks Ralf, that makes all the sense in the world and was quite helpful. SOTU Rocks!

UkeCan1
06-30-2014, 03:45 PM
I love that we're talking songwriting and bridges and song structure here. I hope I won't be hijacking the thread if I ask a question of my own about it, somewhat related to this very informative discussion of bridges that Dennis started. (I'm learning a lot ... I've been writing bridges by "feel" ... it never occurred to me to ask or research how to do it. It's interesting that there's some "science" to it too, not just "art".)

Anyway, here's my question: I wrote a song. FiL covered it. He made some changes to it, structurally - removed parts of the choruses and built out the bridge. He made a few melodic changes too. I like my version. I like his too. It's quite possible we might one day play it together. There are two different versions. So now what?!

What I really want to know is, if you were me, which changes would you incorporate, and what would you keep as it is? I'm a bit too close to it any more to really even be sure what I prefer, but I'm mostly interested in what works best for the song ... for my listeners.

Here's my "Tiny Potato". (http://youtu.be/JJHwITD1bMU)
And here's FiL's. (http://youtu.be/HXC5nBlAXh8)

If you can stand to listen to it twice (sure you can ... Tiny Potato believes in you ... you really can't hear that too often :)), I'd sure love to hear your feedback.

[If you think I should take this some place else, that's cool. If you want to give feedback privately, that's great. My PM inbox is full - sorry about that - but my alter ego's ("UkeCan1 2.0") is not. If you're on Facebook, that's by far the best place for me to receive messages. (I see it pretty promptly, and it doesn't fill up and require maintenance!)]

sam-wo
06-30-2014, 06:31 PM
This is the 1st song I have ever written on ukulele.

http://youtu.be/jWnlFx-J6Jc

RAB11
06-30-2014, 10:52 PM
No time to catch up on these excellent vids right now (I'm plumb tuckered) but I did make a small change to the original post. If you have songs that you have written in the past you are welcome to enter them as "bonus tracks" this week. Just state that they're a bonus and not an entry.

Thanks,
John

PS: Did I mention that you guys rock?!

Oh this is good news! I've got a couple I've been meaning to share for a while. Watch this space this evening.

wee_ginga_yin
07-01-2014, 12:04 AM
Davendra Banhart (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhW7FLo6peU) inspired original song.

http://youtu.be/wwu9fXTwxjI

Basic 12 bar Blues Chords (G C D)
Well I am a grumpy old man
Well I am a angry old man
Well I am a grumpy old man
Well I am a angry old man
Don’t mess with me or you soon will see
A real grumpy old man

Well some people treat me like I’m mad
Yeah some people treat me like I’m mad
and I think that is kinda sad
and it makes me want to treat them bad
They don’t know jack and that a stone cold fact
Cos I’m man

Don’t tell me what clothes I should wear
Don’t ever say I need to comb my hair
Don’t try to shave the hair out of my ears
Don’t dare to water down my beer
I know what I lack, give me my six pack
Cos I’m man

Don’t stop me when I head for the door
Don’t need your help at the cigar store
Don’t tell me to zip up my pants
Cos I can do anything I wants
You can tell by my smile, that I just might go wild
Cos I’m man

At my age never trust a fart
Cos it might break your heart
and pull the hairs out of your nose
And clean the stuff from between your toes
Do a pee at every chance, don’t walk if you can dance
if you’re a man

My own friends I want to choose
The ones who can get me cheap booze
The ones who like their pork with fat
The ones who wear a dodgers hat
We can crawl around the floor, sing and shout for more
Cos we are men

Don’t need you to help me blow my nose
Don’t need you to help me count my toes
Don’t need you to help me put on my clothes
Don’t need you to hug me when it snows
I got thermal underwear, and I just don’t care
Cos I'm a man

Don’t let good taste stand in the way of style
Don’t judge me until you’ve walked a mile
In my shoes with the hole in the sole
Or live for thirty years on the dole
From the cradle to the grave you just got to be brave
If you’re a man

pabrizzer
07-01-2014, 01:33 AM
Never mind the children.
Someone needs to explain to me why the chance of there being a next mass shooting in a school is just as high as the chance of the last mass shooting in a school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIcGGM5W_x4
There are harder things to explain seen on the evening news than anything I've witnessed here on this forum.
The world's a funny place.

Keep it clean.
If only we could.
No one gunned down.
That’d be good.

Keep it clean?
How can it be done?
When we must have our pistols
We must have our guns.

Keep it clean.
In the U S of A
It’s not what is done
It’s what not to say.

Keep it clean?
Kids shot down at school
Shot down at colleges.
But bad words ain’t cool.

Keep it clean.
The Lord loves a weapon
But in a God fearing land
Don’t let bad language happen

Keep it clean.
God loves a gun
But don’t get too bawdy
Fornication ain’t fun

Keep it clean?
It’s the land of the free
I’ve a right to shoot you
You’ve a right to shoot me

Keep it clean?
Where they shoot you for fun
As they drive by in their car
And you’re on your morning run

ddanner
07-01-2014, 06:03 AM
First a really big "Thank You" to all of you that responded to my plea for help with my "To Bridge or Not To Bridge" question. That was what I learned the most from this weeks challenge, and your advice was most "edifying." (Does that word seem too high brow for discussing ukein' stuff?)

I'm sure that what I did wrt adding a bridge to this song will be obvious to everyone, especially those of you that provided suggestions. Please do not hesitate to be critical of this song's structure, etc., especially wrt the bridge. I know that I have more to learn from this week's SOTU composition.

Without further adieu, here it tis:

http://youtu.be/9i7RMT1gVKE

I'll be glad to come back and post the lyrics if anyone wants them. Just feeling a bit lazy at the moment after staying up past midnight to get tickets to TBUG!
Update:
==============
"Busking"

Chords Used: C G Am / F G7 C / F G7 C Am

I'm just sittin' here strummin' my song
Watchin' as you all walk along.
Hopin' to bring some cheer,
If only you'll lend an ear.
Please . . . lend me your ear.

Some walkin' hand in hand
Others standin' alone.
Some look to the sky,
Others look to their phone.
Please put away the phone.

Please look me in the eye
see my face as you pass me by
maybe even nod "Hello,"
And stay a-while before you go
At least pause here before you go.

Please sing along
Won't you sing along
I want to hear your so .o .o . .ong
Please sing along

I know just what to do,
Been feelin' a little blue,
If you'll stop and lend me your ear,
I'll try to bring us both some cheer
We all could use more cheer.

Now that you've heard my song,
Won't you please sing along!
Sing out a verse or two.
You'll feel better if you do.
So much better if you do.

Please sing along
Won't you sing along
I want to hear your so .o .o . .ong
Please sing along

ddanner
07-01-2014, 06:26 AM
. . .
Anyway, here's my question: I wrote a song. FiL covered it. He made some changes to it, structurally - removed parts of the choruses and built out the bridge. He made a few melodic changes too. I like my version. I like his too. It's quite possible we might one day play it together. There are two different versions. So now what?!

What I really want to know is, if you were me, which changes would you incorporate, and what would you keep as it is? I'm a bit too close to it any more to really even be sure what I prefer, but I'm mostly interested in what works best for the song ... for my listeners.
. . .
]
Wendy, I think your last 3 words should answer your question. I like both versions, but I think the two styles would have greatest appeal to two widely different audiences (i.e. "listeners). I found the ragtime tempo of Fil's version more to my "senior" tastes, but I think younger audiences would prefer your original version. Why can't you both practice it together both ways and have it ready for either type of audience?

UkeCan1 2.0
07-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Dennis, thanks so much for taking the time to listen to both and give feedback!

My question though, was not about the stylistic differences. It was about the structure. FiL added some stuff, removed some stuff, and moved some stuff around - specifically in the choruses and bridge. I'm trying to decide whether I should incorporate some or all of those changes, or keep the song as I wrote it.

I'm also not planning to make any melodic changes ... I'm happy with that aspect as is.
I don't think either of us could change styles if we tried! I'm happy for those differences.

The song has a chart. The chart reflects the song as I played it. Do I keep the structure as reflected there, or will making changes to the structure make it a better song?

Sorry - I thought I made that clear in my OP, but I see now it was completely unclear!

Sorry, I don't mean to be hijacking here ... might post the question on the Facebook group later.
(www.facebook.com/groups/Seasonistas (http://www.facebook.com/groups/Seasonistas))

lelouden
07-01-2014, 07:56 AM
I don't know how many of you have come across Molly yet but she is adorable and talented and sure makes this writing thing look simple!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag92q3GIbsY

RAB11
07-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Right, here's my first bonus while the actual song comes together. This is a song I started writing about 4 years ago, the idea sort of sprung on me on the way to work one day and the lyrics came very easily. But at that time the only instrument I played was guitar. Badly. I knew what I wanted it to sound like but couldn't quite translate it. So it went away for a while. Then a few months ago I was just having a bit of a mess around and the riff came out of nowhere and it all sort of fell into place from there.

It started its life when I was 18 but it's written from the perspective of my 13 year-old self and is about that first 'relationship' you have in high school. Lyrics on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/CiPf1YV_ZMg

RAB11
07-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Aaand the second. Not much of a story about this one. Decided to write a blues song last year because why not, but it was still back when I just had a guitar. At the time I'd just moved out of my dad's place to the dingiest bedsit you could imagine and spent a lot of my time between there and going seeing my nieces across Portsmouth Harbour. Both buildings had green doors. Played it at open mic a few times on guitar and it went down okay but it lacked something.

Fast forward a few months to Reading Festival, I'm sat in the campsite having just had my mind blown by Savages. High on life, beer and second-hand weed smoke I fished my Dolphin out of my tent and worked this song out on it and it was a vast improvement and my favourite moment of the weekend.

http://youtu.be/BLqEAoQFzTo

UkeyDave
07-01-2014, 11:06 AM
I don't know how many of you have come across Molly yet but she is adorable and talented and sure makes this writing thing look simple!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag92q3GIbsY
Brilliant Linda. Thanks for sharing.

Harry122
07-01-2014, 06:28 PM
What has happened to me? I came home from a long, busy day at work and spent all my time writing, playing, videoing and editing this BONUS song for this week's contest. It's short, it's silly, and it's all mine. Now it's yours, too!

http://youtu.be/m1EpkZOCzfI

barefootgypsy
07-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Well, we got back from a very special weekend late on Sunday, life has been so extraordinarily busy of late, and of course I had to have a quick peep to see what the new Season was... and thought, write a song.... hmmmm, won't have time to think about that this week.... then woke up on Monday with stuff ready to go, and in pretty short order it was written. The words, anyway. Skimming through the post here right now, my offering is going to seem ..... not so good. I'm so impressed with the depth revealed here.... but I'm going to do it anyway, when our visitors have gone home on Sunday, my entry will be there, my first-ever completed song!

frisbee fred
07-02-2014, 06:11 AM
I wrote this two days ago thinking about the last time that I was stuck on the road about two months ago. I got sick with the flu and had to stay in Chicago over the weekend and then go back to work. I was away for almost two weeks which was very long for me. This song was written thinking about not being able to sleep while on that trip at about 2am on the weekend. My intention was to have a uke solo at an obvious spot in the song. I've just run out of time and had to splice two different takes together (a little clumsily). I think I'll do this again when I'm not under pressure from an all-powerful Season's host to upload it and put it in the "written by Seasonistas" forum.

Lyrics

Awake.....what to do
Awake.....so blue
Tomorrow.....is it real
Can't change how I feel

Mornin.....comes too slow
Mornin.....nowhere to go
Work.......must get that deal
Can't change how I feel

Evenin.....I'm alone
Emptiness is my home
It's the same old reel
Can't change how I feel

Wish I could change how I feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KIfzECqEr0&feature=youtu.be

Barbablanca
07-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Here is my take on the week's theme.

The tune (especially the opening lines) sounds derivative, but I can't place of what. I also had to rise to the challenge of trying to use all five images OldePhart set us ;)

http://youtu.be/rp8dgvCU-6w
Lyrics on You tube.

Phluffy the Destroyer
07-02-2014, 10:53 AM
So... I wrote this yesterday. Then I double checked the rules and spent the morning rewriting it so the lyrics wouldn't traumatize the kiddies. The title phrase is sort of vital to the idea behind the lyrics though...

I hope that doesn't disqualify the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQUUce9Pu2s&feature=youtu.be

Intro & Choruses: Am, Dm, E7
Verses: Am, F, C, G
Bridge: F, C, G

uke4ia
07-02-2014, 12:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQZo700krX8

I've got all kinds of songs that have been sitting half-written for literally decades. Every year I try to finish a couple of them, and sometimes they show up in the Seasons. But I don't often write an entire song quickly. This one I wrote in an hour last night. I blame the heavy use of bird references on all the photos TCK and my co-worker Zach post on Facebook. :D

By the way, I actually had an encounter with an angry chipmunk a few weeks ago. I came out of my house, and heard a weird metal rattling by the garage door. I went to see what was causing it, and saw a chipmunk peering out of the bottom of the gutter drainpipe on the left side of the garage door. As I got closer, it started chittering angrily. Then it tried running up the inside of the drainpipe, got about a foot up, then slid back down. It repeated all of this a few times in rapid succession. The rattling was the chipmunk trying to run up the pipe. I watched for four tries, then went on my walk. I considered making this anecdote one verse of a song. But...naaaaaah.

Lyrics:

Stumbling over broken words
All disturbed like frightened birds
Wondering what just occurred
What can I say?
Just applaud the play

I feel the brunt of aftershocks
Cuckoo clocks and writer's block
Sitting down to walk the walk
On feet of clay
No other way

Tomorrow hums its overture
Come what may
And I can only hope for more
Day after day
Day after day
Day after day

Lift the raven off the wall
Hear its call through the market stalls
Ride that wave before it falls
Still on display
Dazzled and gray

Tomorrow strums an open chord
It's not gonna stay
And I can only hope for more
Day after day
Day after day
Day after day

pabrizzer
07-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Too Fine for Workin'
Introducing our 'new' dogs. Our neighbours moved into a retirement villiage and could not take their dogs so after some thought we agreed to take them. Missie the one trying to get on my lap is very blind and Max is a bit of a lad. Already destroyed a window blind when we went out so he could view the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTgFcWhQkwc

The sun is out the birds are chirpin'
The weather's fine too good for workin'
So I'll sit here in the sun all day
Playin' my ukulele

I'll sing of peace love and joy
And good times for every girl and boy
And wish folks had just good things to say
And play on my ukulele

I know there'll be bad weather and sometimes the sky'll be grey
But I know the sun will come out again
And so I'll get to say

The sun is out the birds are chirpin'
The weather's fine too good for workin'
So I'll sit here in the sun all day
Playin' my ukulele

bonesigh
07-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Ah, can finally post my first song. I've been missing all the activity here and won't be able to even catch up for the next couple of days. Hope you all enjoy the little collaboration with my daughter April. I was busy writing this song when she came in the room so I invited her to join me. She came up with some of the lines, we worked on a few together, and we both agreed on the dripping sound. She came up with the basic melody by giving me about 6 notes to begin with and I worked out the chords from that. Was a real challenge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo9pQnh93T4
“Invisible” By April and Janet Tolin
Bb Fm
Something, something let me go
Eb Fm
Swim this river of love that you know
Bb Fm
Begging, reasoning out of time
Eb Eb
This writers block with no rhyme

C Cmaj7 C7 Fm
Darkness descends my overloaded boxcar brain
C Cmaj7 C7 Fm
Threatening to drive me insane
Eb up
Hold me up, hold me high
Tacit Fm
While I settle in to cry
Chorus
124 1 CmG#maj Fm 124 1 1 CmG#maj Fm
Settle in; set tle down, in my overload ded crown
124 1 1 CmG#maj Fm
Sometimes I feel just like the clown
C#m7barr1 C7
Invisible ‘til the tent comes down
C#m7barr1 C7 Fm
Bb Fm
Did you see me? Did I cry?
Eb Fm
Am I here? I ask you why?
Bb Fm
Now, I know, you’re the clown
Eb Fm Eb
I’ll turn your world upside-down Riff Fm(5888) E Bb

C Cmaj7 C7 Fm
You, you, you, yeah you
C Cmaj7 C7 Fm
Unforgiving mourning madness
Eb up
In the morning, in your sadness
Tacit Fm
Grey sorrow brings you down
Chorus
124 1 CmG#maj Fm 124 1 1 CmG#maj Fm
Settle in; set tle down, in your overload ded crown
124 1 1 CmG#maj Fm
Sometimes you feel just like the clown

C#m7barr1 C7
CmG#maj Fm
Like the clown
C#m7barr1 C7

thesillydave
07-02-2014, 07:36 PM
my try at overloaded boxcars...

http://youtu.be/PLvv5ulrG6I

I’ve done love wrong…..and it could’ve been for life …but now I don’t want to see…you as my wife

Now just realizing the situation
I might have biten off more than I could chew
I think I had a revelation
On trying to get a handle on you

Your love is like an overloaded boxcar
headed for a station that’s recently closed
you know that I’m not a rockstar
and a life you want just can’t be supposed

you seem to have gotten permanent
quicker than any super glue
but history withheld.. might be pertinant
and has not allowed me the right to chose

Our love went from zero to sixty
Way too fast for me!
My lovelife has always been iffy….
but you assumed I’b be too blind to see….

I worry about the everlasting
Love that may never come to be
I think we might have to do some re-casting
It’s time to get away for me

Let’s empty some of that baggage and set us free.
If you don’t understand all the metaphors…
I’m just tryin’ to say… please let me be!

A term from from history past
It was too much for me and plain to see
This love was never meant to last
I’ve done love wrong…..but it won’t be for life … you’ll be better off…as another man’s wife

mikef
07-03-2014, 05:41 AM
A little ditty based on a recent trip my wife and I made to Wisconsin... hope you like it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnZUeXa6W6Q

LYRICS...

See the eagles and the hummingbirds
Along the border on the Mississippi
Taste the squeak of the SUPERB CHEESE curds
And hold on tight on the Zippin' Pippin'

Our Jeep will take us where we want it to
And I'm just happy here with you

Driving through Wisconsin
Oh wo oh oooh

Embrace the sunsets of Door County
Where Spotted Cow will get us drunk
Wander back after too much pizza
Be kept awake by that ANGRY CHIPMUNK

Our Jeep will take us where we want it to
And I'm just happy here with you

Driving through Wisconsin
Oh wo oh oooh

xommen
07-03-2014, 07:10 AM
Another original for this season, it's certainly not based on any real events.
I recorded this in my hammock in the garden.
And it was certainly not raining ;-).
Lyrics/Chords are here:
http://www.vanommen.net/Lying_in_my_Hammock.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spkvZMMiDKU
I think this week showed me so far how much fun you can have with two chords ;).

Sammu
07-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Is anyone else having problems accessing YouTube? I have a video ready of a piece I've written especially for this week but when I tried to upload it I got an error message. Now I can't even open YouTube. All I get is an error message. :( Very frustrating it is. I just wondered if anyone else was having an issue? Thanks! Sam

lelouden
07-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Is anyone else having problems accessing YouTube? I have a video ready of a piece I've written especially for this week but when I tried to upload it I got an error message. Now I can't even open YouTube. All I get is an error message. :( Very frustrating it is. I just wondered if anyone else was having an issue? Thanks! Sam

No problem here. Try shutting down your browser and starting again. Maybe that will help:) Ive got one uploading but I'm in the mountains and it may take all day but its coming:)

Sammu
07-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Thanks Linda! That seemed to work…..Here it is….finally…..! Could be because I am in Spain - land of mañana….

This is my first composition for ukulele. Hope you like it. Thanks for the inspiration :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqUkA_On2eM

pabrizzer
07-03-2014, 01:29 PM
A very short lyric inspired by Sammu's beautiful playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBW30OFAYtg
Or how to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse.

lelouden
07-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Here is a little inspiration that came yesterday as I was observing the day in the life of my daughter and her two year old. After listening to Molly and some of her originals I realized that I was making this harder than it needed to be. Just like pabrizzer was inspired by what he saw in Sam's vid and made a beautiful little moment of that, I came up with this song very quickly too once the idea arose, but I wrote it from the mothers perspective.

http://youtu.be/clcKJf9zttA

life never started till she came to this world
and her job is to give ME a job.
and were off off off to the races
cause she's too smart for two

Its apples and sippys and shoes and no shirt
its hiding with markers, and then body art
its blanky! Not that one
and I want to paint
its boogies and bath and
mama I pooped

life never started till she came to this world
So its mama I pooped
and mama whats that
and mama I want
and mama, mine!

its gimmy and owie, buggies gunna get me
its color and book and no and help
and when shes mad she's like a angry chipmunk
but best of all its mama "love you too"

Cuz life never started till she came to this world
and her job is to give ME a job
Oh she's too too too smart for two
and its mama I want
and mama I pooped

now its stop that, and get down, and get out of there
its don't touch, and sit down, and no its all gone
it's come here, and not now, and maybe later
oh my gosh when does papa come home

oh life never started till she came to this world
and tomorrow well do it all again
cuz she's too too too smart for two
and tomorrow well do it all over again
cuz she's too too too smart for two!

thesillydave
07-03-2014, 08:41 PM
superb cheese...kind of swingy, jazzy cheese. possibly imported.

http://youtu.be/x_K1F-Y4Y5g
a ditty dan rockin' ryan and i used to play about 30 years ago...when we played guitar back at texas a&m.
can't remember if we really made it up or not! if anybody recognizes this...please let me know!
just fun to play!

Sammu
07-04-2014, 02:47 AM
A very short lyric inspired by Sammu's beautiful playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBW30OFAYtg
Or how to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse.

Well, my ears were silk! That was just beautiful. And very touching :) Thank you!!! I was really disappointed when it ended and think you should write a longer version pabrizzer. (please)

Sammu
07-04-2014, 02:51 AM
[QUOTE=lelouden;1547339]Here is a little inspiration that came yesterday as I was observing the day in the life of my daughter and her two year old. After listening to Molly and some of her originals I realized that I was making this harder than it needed to be. Just like pabrizzer was inspired by what he saw in Sam's vid and made a beautiful little moment of that, I came up with this song very quickly too once the idea arose, but I wrote it from the mothers perspective.

http://youtu.be/clcKJf9zttA

Lovely song Linda! Enjoyed the wandering dog too. :)

we tigers
07-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Ive been so busy I haven't had time to watch other entries, but I look forward to that. I did manage to write a song about the problems I'm having with my lef shoulder and my regular visits to the physiotherapist. I have the house to myself this evening. Saskia is in the recording studio where a friend of ours is doing some live studio recordings for a forthcoming album. Saskia wrote all the lyrics so naturally she had to be there. So I had the time to record this little song of sadness.

http://youtu.be/0Z1fU920kcM

Captain America
07-04-2014, 05:53 PM
http://youtu.be/Qx0Pv8Jbzbs

Quaint and extremely rural musical ballad about the tragic life and death of American Hero Anna Nicole Smith, a legacy of love and pain and Big Money.

mythinformed
07-04-2014, 11:18 PM
An unfinished original I was experimenting with as I played (one take)............some places it works, some it don't.
I was trying to imagine an overloaded boxcar on a perilous journey.
Unfortunately only had my £15 Falcon to hand!! Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_OZhZJ10EQ&feature=youtu.be

xommen
07-05-2014, 01:05 AM
I made a playlist because there still was none.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3GDF5piGeGbHDFBEGCSz1LMvcfue0_nH

cua94
07-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Thanks xommen!

Tootler
07-05-2014, 08:28 AM
I managed to get my song finished on Thursday but didn't get time to record it till this morning. It's a celebration of a journey on a preserved railway across the beautiful North York Moors.

http://youtu.be/ngKsjZn10Os

Forgot to say. Lyrics on You Tube. Was feeling tired last night.

CeeJay
07-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Are you going on the 9th November Omega Ukelele Special and the Pickering Uke Fest ?

ukuloonie
07-05-2014, 05:36 PM
This is a very rough song, I did it for me really.
Phew three weeks in a row. must keep it going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLMkbaKbOA&feature=youtu.be
Box full of letters,

(F) Hidden in a old box ,(B) Wrapped with a bow,
F C
Are the stories of times now past ,
F B
How the writing looks familiar, From my own hand it seems
F C F
We share more than our history

Dm F
The Sun rises on a bright new day
Dm F
And the moon brings out the stars
Dm B F C
Our hopes and dreams our memories they’re written in the stars.
Dm B F C F
I hope that we get together again, to find out the reasons why.

F B
Our family they met so long ago,
F C
there times, they seem so strange
F B
Yet there words they whisper to me, across the timeless deep
F C F
It wasn’t all that long ago

Dm F
The Sun rises on a bright new day
Dm F
And the moon brings out the stars
Dm B F C
Our hopes and dreams our memories they’re written in the stars.
Dm B F C F
I hope that we get together again, to find out the reasons why.

Tootler
07-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Are you going on the 9th November Omega Ukelele Special and the Pickering Uke Fest ?

Yes I am. All booked.

ksiegel
07-06-2014, 03:23 AM
I wrote this just a few days ago, and debated on posting it.

I am certain that many folks on the forum will not be happy with me for this, but I can't let that determine whether I post or not.
I am proud to be a Liberal, Capital "L".

So without further adieu, I give you

Ruth Ginsburg

http://youtu.be/2r1n1TIuF7U

-Kurt

barefootgypsy
07-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Better late than never, my offering.... the day before this Season started, I was at the wedding of the daughter of a lifelong friend, and it was such a magical wedding near Dumfries (home of Robert Burns, and where he wrote "My Love is Like a Red Red Rose" - hence the words "land of the poet" ) that it inspired me to write this. I did edit photos into a movie project, but Youtube wasn't having any of it so this is the raw video. And I forgot to include on the video, for the U Season 124 - sorry - too late now..... but at least I wrote a special song - my first completed!

http://youtu.be/F7xBlCTnCzY

The Wedding of Danny and Jo

It happened one day in the land of the poet,
There’s a sign that’ll lead you to Kirkconnell Flow,
At the end of that road there’s a fairytale place
That was waiting for Danny and Jo….

There’s a house with a tower that’s centuries old
And stories of long, long ago,
But today there’s another story to tell,
The wedding of Danny and Jo.

By an arbour so simple, a garden of peace,
With bunting and hearts hanging low,
The free-est of spirits were bound into one,
At the wedding of wedding of Danny and Jo

There were red and white cup-cakes, and Pimms served in jam jars,
And men wearing kilts, there were bridesmaids in red,
On the lawn a great tipi rose up to the stars,
For the wedding of Danny and Jo.

Now the tipi and bunting are gone from the garden,
And birdsong once more reigns in Kirkconnell Flow,
But the tower and the garden will always remember
The wedding of Danny and Jo

FiL
07-06-2014, 09:51 AM
I've posted a few originals here before, so I guess I have to play by the advanced rules. None of the prompts really inspired me, so this goes on the bonus list. I wrote it a few months ago, and am currently rehearsing it with two of my bands. Still, it took me about a dozen takes to get this one.

http://youtu.be/GrBtOIuFdgM

- FiL

bonesigh
07-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Here's my contribution for using all the prompts song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hluNb9tQJP0
“Limerick Song” By Janet Tolin

Had a friend who’s named Eugenia
And every day at noon-ya’d see her
See her perform in her natural form
With a petrified petunia

Then there was Billy LaRocksah
Whose face looked just like a lobster
He caught a disease and fell to his knees
In an overloaded boxcar

My mother she made superb cheese
The neighbors would cry out Marilyn please
The way you pour whey, It’s a disgrace
Put on clothes when you’re on your trapeze

Angry chipmunks in pairs scared my mum
Filming flowers on a Japanese Plum
“They both spoke” she would say
And from then till this day
Her new home costs a nice tidy sum

Writers block is my biggest fear
So, I play uke in my underwear
‘Cuz all becomes crystal clear
When that last bit of clothes disappears, oh dear

Repeat first and tag

Mark
07-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Ha! Okay, written this week using the required phrases. ;^)

http://youtu.be/mPJXXHS1vs0

I tried to [C] write you a [G] love song but [C] couldn't, [C7]
[F] the writers block was that [C] keen
See I [F] love you so [F/C] much, all the [C] words turn to [A7] mush
And I [D7] can't make them say what I [G] mean [G7]

[C] Talking or [G] Skyping is [C] easy, [C7]
but [F] poetry turns my brain into [C] goo
This [F] makes it complex, to come [C] up with the [A7] text,
Of a [D7] straightforward love song to [G] you [G7]

Cuz my [F] heart is like an overloaded [C] boxcar
Filled with [G] petrified [G7] petunias for [C] you
Filled [F] with cheese, but really su [Fm] perb cheese,
And [C] one [B] an [Bb] gry [A7] chipmunk
– I'm [D7] sorry but that's the [G7] best I can [C] do.

The [C] words all show [G] up in any [C] order,
Though my [F] love remains steadfast and [C] true
You'll have to [F] read between the lines, in [C] order to [A7] divine ,
The [D7] treasure that's hidden there for [G] you. [G7]

[E7] Communication was never my [Am] strong suit
and in [E7] this case the order was [Am] tall
these [D7] lyrics aren't lyrical but it's [G] really a miracle
that the [D7] song came together at [G] all [G7]

So I grabbed [C] tiles from an [G] old game of [C] Scrabble, [C7]
[F] desperate to compose any [C] way
And so I [F] assembled, random [C] phrases to [A7] resemble
the [D7] love that I feel but can't[G] say.... [G7]

Except to say…

that Darlin', my [F] heart is like an overloaded [C] boxcar
Full of [G] petrified [G7] petunia for [C] two
Filled [F] with cheese, but su [Fm] perb cheese,
And [C] one [B] an [Bb] gry [A7] chipmunk
-- and I [D7] hope that you [G7]feel this way [C] too.

hiho

mds725
07-06-2014, 07:56 PM
I've been waiting to make my debut as a Seasonista with an original song, so I was thrilled to see the Season 124 theme. Unfortunately, I was unable to find the time to practice and record the song I wanted to use for this Season. However, because I really wanted to participate this week, I'm posting a song I wrote last summer that I performed with some very talented friends at an open mic this past spring. (I secretly want to record this song with a baritone ukulele and a cello.) This video doesn't meet the rules (not recorded for this Season, etc.), so this video is in the nature of a bonus video. I hope to post a proper Seasons entry for a future Season sometime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGbVrMsv0c

My Star In The Night

[F] [C7] [F] [C7]

[F] Your sparkling [C7] eyes
[F] As bright as the [C7] skies
[F] Those warm loving [C7] glances we like to [F] share [C7]

[F] Your radiant [C7] grin
[F] The glow of your [C7] skin
[F] The speckles of [C7] sunlight that dance in your [F] hair [C7]

[Gm7] You are my [C7] beacon, [Gm7] my angel of [C7] light
[Gm7] You are my [C7] star in the [F] night. [C7]

[F] Your heart filled with [C7] song
[F] My heart sings a- [C7] -long
[F] The beautiful [C7] music we like to [F] share [C7]

[F] Your whisper so [C7] soft
[F] Two spirits a- [C7] -loft
[F] Two hearts full of [C7] joy as they dance in the [F] air [C7]

[A7] There have been times when life has seemed [Dm] scary
[A7] But even in our darkest of [Dm] days
[G7] Whenever the world makes us [C] weary
[G7] You are a light that shines through the [C] haze [C7]

[F] The bustle of [C7] life
[F] Brings stresses and [C7] strife
[F] Sometimes I can [C7] find myself drifting a- [F] -way [C7]

[F] And when I feel [C7] lost
[F] All tumbled and [C7] tossed
[F] Wherever you [C7] are, you are my [F] way [C7]

[Gm7] You are my [C7] star in the [Dm] night [Dm7] [G7] [G7]
[Gm7] You are my [C7] star in the [F] night [C7] [F] [C7] [F]

© 2013 mds725

xommen
07-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Here's my contribution for using all the prompts song.
“Limerick Song” By Janet Tolin

Your video is set to private, so we can not see it.

OldePhart
07-07-2014, 02:37 AM
Hey folks, just a quick note to let y'all know I haven't died! LOL

My daughter and her family are on their way back to Idaho, and I've taken a few days of staycation, so it shouldn't take but a couple of days for me to review and comment on all of these great entries. I am going to follow Linda's example and try to narrow it down to my 6 faves and then let Lady Luck determine which of those receives the pen.

Thanks so much for participating and to those who encouraged the entrants during my absence!

John (one worn out puppy)

xommen
07-07-2014, 03:30 AM

My daughter and her family are on their way back to Idaho, and I've taken a few days of staycation, so it shouldn't take but a couple of days for me to review and comment on all of these great entries. I am going to follow Linda's example and try to narrow it down to my 6 faves and then let Lady Luck determine which of those receives the pen.

Thanks so much for participating and to those who encouraged the entrants during my absence!

Hi John,

Good to know you are still around.
I've made a playlist for you https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3GDF5piGeGbHDFBEGCSz1LMvcfue0_nH, maybe you can also add that to the first post?

Cheers,

Wim.

bonesigh
07-07-2014, 04:13 AM
Sorry...should be good now (:

Your video is set to private, so we can not see it.

lelouden
07-07-2014, 06:46 PM

Looking forward to seeing who you chose as a top 6. There were so many great entries this week:)

OldePhart
07-14-2014, 07:19 AM
Just a quick note and apology you guys. I got started on reviewing these and writing up my comments in a text file but I had to put my motorcycle in the shop for some warranty work last week and I've not been getting the service I'd like. To put it simply, it's still in the shop and I've been in a really foul mood for a few days now and I don't want to be evaluating y'alls entries in a foul mood!

I also don't want to post my comments on the first few vids until I've seen them all and commented on them. So, hang on and hope the (*^*^ motorcycle shop/manufacturer get their act together soon.

John

lelouden
07-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Sometimes life gets in the way and we all want you in a good mood so take a deep breath John. Its OK!

ukuleledaveey
07-14-2014, 11:21 AM
no worries John all the best from me and i got everything crossed for ya hoping the bike is ok

07-14-2014, 02:47 PM
yeah, dear host, chillax as much as you CAN, and get around to the wrap up whenever you can manage

coolkayaker1
08-20-2014, 09:45 PM
Just checking on Oldephart, John. He always has great posts on UU, knowledgeable and kind, but I have seen none recently. A quick check on UU finds his last to be this one, on this thread from five weeks ago. It appears the videos are still not reviewed? Any Close UU friends of John know that he is up and okay? I'm concerned for him. Thanks.

mds725
08-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Just checking on Oldephart, John. He always has great posts on UU, knowledgeable and kind, but I have seen none recently. A quick check on UU finds his last to be this one, on this thread from five weeks ago. It appears the videos are still not reviewed? Any Close UU friends of John know that he is up and okay? I'm concerned for him. Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing, having also just checked his recent activity. He's usually pretty visible. I hope someone who has been in touch with him recently can let us know how he's doing.

coolkayaker1
08-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks, Mark. Yes.

barefootgypsy
08-23-2014, 01:41 AM
I have been wondering the same thing, Oldepharte John always posted thoughtful, helpful posts that I for one always loved reading and appreciated. I am concerned. For him. Is there anyone who can try to get in contact with him to see how he is?

coolkayaker1
08-28-2014, 02:01 AM
I have been wondering the same thing, Oldepharte John always posted thoughtful, helpful posts that I for one always loved reading and appreciated. I am concerned. For him. Is there anyone who can try to get in contact with him to see how he is?

You are right, Barefoot. It's highly unlike John to not follow through on his own season of the uke and not reply to PMs. Is someone here his Facebook friend; is he still posting? Could someone in Texas bop over and knock on his door?