Highest tension fluorocarbon strings?

Tommy B

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm trying different fluorocarbon strings on my tenors, and I'd really like some with a lot of "oomph." Can anyone tell me what the highest-tension fluoro strings on the market are? Thanks!

Hi all. I'm trying different fluorocarbon strings on my tenors, and I'd really like some with a lot of "oomph." Can anyone tell me what the highest-tension fluoro strings on the market are? Thanks!

oasis just took them off my tenor
cos the tension was SUPER high
it made my uke sound like a soprano
check my thread here about oasis warms
there's some sound samples posted there
if you dig through

Hmmm. What do you mean by "oomph"? Do you mean projection? Something else?

Specific to fluorocarbon, I've had good luck with Living Water and with Worth Clears. But I'm curious, why are you limiting your query to fluorocarbon? For example, the D'Addario Pro Arte strings are nylon. They are very clear and tend a bit toward bright to my ears. They really ring clearly, but I don't care for their thickness. Another non-fluorcarbon string I've tried and really love are the Aquila Reds. I've tried them on four different ukes ranging from soprano to tenor and they worked very well on each. I was bummed when I discovered I did not have the proper size for a new-to-me concert uke that arrived yesterday. Cannot wait to try them when my replenishment stock arrives.

Thanks for the responses so far! I've just tried the Oasis fluorocarbons from Amazon. The package says "bright," which I assume differs from their "warm." Didn't notice that designation before, so thanks for pointing that out. I was curious, though, about the fact that Oasis says its strings are for soprano, concert or tenor. Most brands have a different set for tenor than soprano, and although I'm no physicist, I would think that the same set of strings on a soprano would be much higher-tension than on a tenor. (Did I say I'm no physicist? :))

Eddie, I'm just limiting myself to fluorocarbon because I've been pretty pleased with the clarity and brightness of various brands of them (Worth, Martin, Oasis), whereas a lot of nylon strings (D'Addario plains, GHS, old Martin Crystal Nylon) have left me cold. Also, I get overwhelmed with too many choices. :)

But I am also an Aquila user from when they first arrived, so I appreciate hearing about the Reds. Haven't tried those, yet, but I'll put 'em on the list.

And yes, by "oomph," I mean projection.

Thanks all!

Tom

Also consider SouthCoast, Fremont Blacklines, and Savarez.

Thanks for the responses so far! I've just tried the Oasis fluorocarbons from Amazon. The package says "bright," which I assume differs from their "warm." Didn't notice that designation before, so thanks for pointing that out. I was curious, though, about the fact that Oasis says its strings are for soprano, concert or tenor. Most brands have a different set for tenor than soprano, and although I'm no physicist, I would think that the same set of strings on a soprano would be much higher-tension than on a tenor. (Did I say I'm no physicist? :))

Eddie, I'm just limiting myself to fluorocarbon because I've been pretty pleased with the clarity and brightness of various brands of them (Worth, Martin, Oasis), whereas a lot of nylon strings (D'Addario plains, GHS, old Martin Crystal Nylon) have left me cold. Also, I get overwhelmed with too many choices. :)

But I am also an Aquila user from when they first arrived, so I appreciate hearing about the Reds. Haven't tried those, yet, but I'll put 'em on the list.

And yes, by "oomph," I mean projection.

Thanks all!

Tom
yep their supposed to be
for all three sizes but it didn't feel right
it felt waaaaaay to tight! from what
I gather the warm set isn't mellow or warm
it's just slightly warmer than the bright set
I didn't let them on my uke but it sounded
very nice just wasn't the tone I was
looking for so far Aquila nygut is the closest
to what I'm looking for. btw the reds
are very Bright and have a metallic
sound sounded great on my epiphone les
paul concert. right now though mellow
and warm is the sound I'm after.

Last edited:
yep their supposed to be
for all three sizes but it didn't feel right
it felt waaaaaay to tight! from what
I gather the warm set isn't mellow or warm
it's just slightly warmer than the bright set
I didn't let them on my uke but it sounded
very nice just wasn't the tone I was
looking for so far Aquila nygut is the closest
to what I'm looking for. btw the reds
are very Bright and have a metallic
sound sounded great on my epiphone les
paul concert. right now though mellow
and warm is the sound I'm after.

I had no problem with the Oasis brights I got from Amazon. They actually feel a little slacker than some of my other strings, but that could be my imagination. I forgot to mention that one of my criteria is that I have to buy my next set of strings on eBay, which gave me a $20 coupon that's about to expire. That rules out South Coast and most of the Worth strings. (I may end up trying the Worth CH from Elderly next time I place an order with them.) But thanks to this thread, I just found Aquila Reds, Super Nylguts and Fremont Blacks on eBay ... and I'm getting 'em for free! :eek:

Thanks everyone!

I had no problem with the Oasis brights I got from Amazon. They actually feel a little slacker than some of my other strings, but that could be my imagination. I forgot to mention that one of my criteria is that I have to buy my next set of strings on eBay, which gave me a $20 coupon that's about to expire. That rules out South Coast and most of the Worth strings. (I may end up trying the Worth CH from Elderly next time I place an order with them.) But thanks to this thread, I just found Aquila Reds, Super Nylguts and Fremont Blacks on eBay ... and I'm getting 'em for free! :eek:

Thanks everyone!

hey everyone is different. Each uke is different.
I can play well but still learning about other aspects
of the instrument such as strings (which isn't something i
considered or thought much about until last summer).
I'm still testing out strings for smaller ukes to find the optimal
string for me. For baritone living water is the absolute winner
but smaller ukes still....trying to decide on so far though aquila
seems to be the winner for me, i thought they were 'bright'
until, i put carbons on my tenor now i know what 'bright' really is.

Not necessarily highest tension but D'Addario T2 strings sparked up a very heavily built tenor I owned. Southcoast mediums worked well on it too, as did their classic metals.

Also consider SouthCoast, Fremont Blacklines, and Savarez.
Yes. Fremont Blacklines from Japan, sold by Elderly and Lucysukulele on EBay, come in Hard, which I think is higher tension. They are lovely.

Southcoast sells some FC strings that are particularly high tension...I have them on a tenor of mine. The naming system I find difficult and everchanging at SC Strings, so you'll have to ask Dirk.

Not necessarily highest tension but D'Addario T2 strings sparked up a very heavily built tenor I owned.

Yes, I bought a used uke with Titaniums on them, and I thought they sounded quite assertive. But when I put switched them out (as I always do with a new/used uke) I put on the only thing I had on hand, a set of Worths, and thought the resulting sound was a little more complex. But I'll definitely pick up a new set and give 'em another try.

Yes. Fremont Blacklines from Japan, sold by Elderly and Lucysukulele on EBay, come in Hard, which I think is higher tension. They are lovely.

Southcoast sells some FC strings that are particularly high tension...I have them on a tenor of mine. The naming system I find difficult and everchanging at SC Strings, so you'll have to ask Dirk.

I just ordered some Fremont Blacklines from Lucysukulele. I'm looking forward to checking them out. As for the Southcoast strings, I've read many good things about them and have been meaning to try them out. But I have a mental block about having to order directly from the supplier. I like the convenience of being able to throw a set of strings into my eBay cart or Elderly cart while I'm shopping.

This spreadsheet has some tension specs for a variety of strings.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Bill. That's a cool resource.

Thanks all.
Tom

Top Bottom