Tryed a few G striings tonight on my concert

mistydoo

Reaction score
New and first Uku as a 3 days ago.. 40 years of Guitar so em really starting to take off on the Uku very well. My new string order came with new strings Aquala. Put them on and love them. Ordered a couple of reg Aquala low G strings. Surpringly they where the same guage as the High G stock Aquala string. It did make a nice diff. But still to bright. Put on the old Aquala E string n tuned it to G. Sure seemed like a winner. Tried the old C string too, it was to thick and way to much dull bass. So sticking with the E for now.
Sorry sure this has been asked allot. But should I go with the red or what, recommend other low G's to try? Really like the E string guage feel. But would love to try others. Using a Cedar top concert Uku. May have got lucky, but it really sings with tone. Thanks kindly for your thoughts.

New and first Uku as a 3 days ago.. 40 years of Guitar so em really starting to take off on the Uku very well. My new string order came with new strings Aquala. Put them on and love them. Ordered a couple of reg Aquala low G strings. Surpringly they where the same guage as the High G stock Aquala string. It did make a nice diff. But still to bright. Put on the old Aquala E string n tuned it to G. Sure seemed like a winner. Tried the old C string too, it was to thick and way to much dull bass. So sticking with the E for now.
Sorry sure this has been asked allot. But should I go with the red or what, recommend other low G's to try? Really like the E string guage feel. But would love to try others. Using a Cedar top concert Uku. May have got lucky, but it really sings with tone. Thanks kindly for your thoughts.

the uke is tuned gcea are you
sure you have it tuned and strung correctly?
sounds like you may be confused or maybe I'm reading
your post wrong.

iamesperambient. thanks.. is low G determined by its gauge thickness? And Or is it tuned a octave down from a High G. Guess it would have to be thick for tension to tune a octave down? Going to try expementing to see.. yes gcea tuning

Last edited:
Both-you do need a thicker (and/or wound) string for the low G. If the low G is wound it might be close to the same gauge as unwound high G. It should be about the same tension as the other 3 strings. If you try to tune down a high G it will be way too floppy. If you try to tune up a low G - don't - it will likely snap but if not would be way too high tension. This search should give lots of info on low G concert strings:
https://www.google.com/#q=site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com++low+g+concert

I've got a Fremont Soloist wound Low G on my Tenor at the moment, I like it a lot. You don't get a lot of squeak from it, which is nice.

I just put some Low G Worth browns on my concert; the low G is not wound. It's less boomy on the small uke than the wound low G string I had on before.

Southcoast HML-RW's are incredible strings. I found the Aquilas had a funny feel to them. The Southcoast opened up my uke big time and gave me the higher tension I was looking for.

I currently use southcoast ML-SW. I like slightly less tension for strumming since I don't just fingerpick. That being said I have heard from many people that the HML-RW's are super strings. I need to try a set myself sometime. Anyway I think southcoast strings are definitely something you should try. Good luck on your string search.

Low wound G came today. Em deff a believer now. It ads so much variations. Thanks kindly everyone.

Top Bottom