Could a Steel String Guitarlele Work?

khal

Reaction score
I love guitarlele. I have a Gretsch. The 17" scale is perfect.

I know that steel strings can be problematic on a short scale instrument. The Tacoma Papoose is the shortest decent instrument I've seen.

Do you think an acoustic 6 string guitarlele with steel strings would sound good and be playable?

Kim

Mandolins and mandolas seem to work just fine. So do the several Latin American short scale, steel string instruments. So, yes, a steel string guitalele should work fine.

Last edited:
I remember someone saying you can get EADGBE tuning on a guitalele if you use steel strings. Don't take my word for it and try it out though.

I love guitarlele. I have a Gretsch. The 17" scale is perfect.

I know that steel strings can be problematic on a short scale instrument. The Tacoma Papoose is the shortest decent instrument I've seen.

Do you think an acoustic 6 string guitarlele with steel strings would sound good and be playable?

Kim

all a guitarlele is, is s shortscale guitar (aka like a guitar with a 5 capo on the 5th fret). So yes they would be able to make a 'guitarele' with steel strings and have it be fine but than it would be even more like a guitar than a uke.

If you're asking about putting steel strings on your guilele, DON'T DO THAT. It will damage the instrument.

If you're asking if it would be possible, I'm sure it could be, but the instrument would need a different construction, and would be quite a bit heavier.

Personally, I don't care for the sound of steel string acoustics. So I would say no, it wouldn't sound good. But there are people who love that sound, and I'm sure they would say the opposite.

If you're asking about putting steel strings on your guilele, DON'T DO THAT. It will damage the instrument.

If you're asking if it would be possible, I'm sure it could be, but the instrument would need a different construction, and would be quite a bit heavier.

Personally, I don't care for the sound of steel string acoustics. So I would say no, it wouldn't sound good. But there are people who love that sound, and I'm sure they would say the opposite.

what i gather from their question is can a steel stringed 'guitarele' be made. aka a smaller childs guitar with steel strings tuned higher
and yes thats totally possible, why you would want it? no idea. I think the only thing that makes a guitarele semi appealing (and id rather just have a uke for my taste) is the nylon strings.

I didn't know risa made those, what a bummer I never got to pick one up. They made a stick version too for nylon:

RGS.jpg

i love their les paul and bean and other electric designs but never liked the way the stick looked, just cant get into it. I wonder if you could find a used risa guitarele somewhere i feel like it could be a really cool useful instrument.

The Tacoma Papoose is essentially a steel string guitalele. Not made any more but can still be found used. It's a great little instrument.

The Tacoma Papoose is essentially a steel string guitalele. Not made any more but can still be found used. It's a great little instrument.

any links? im interested in this RISA one a lot really sad it doesn't seem i'd be able to find one and save for it being their not made
and i dont make enough to buy one on the whim if i saw one used :/

Thanks to ambient, I checked out the Blue Star site. One of the products there is a 22 inch travel guitar with steel strings based on a fender musicmaster guitar. It seems to be priced around $450 for the base model. If you do a search on "fender musicmaster" there are others who make this type of 3/4 electric guitar. Maybe if there is enough interest Fender itself would start to make them again, noting that if you look at the current Fender catalogue it does include some small guitars with a different name and maybe a re-make of the basic 1950s model may not be cheap unless it is made in numbers.

Bruce at blue star is an amazing luthier.
I own one of his creations a konablaster electric
baritone uke and i love it. I'm sure if you contact
him he can make you a custom electric guitarele
hes very nice and fair priced and makes only the
best quality instruments all hand made in the usa!

Guys, I've got a 3/4 size guitarle with steel strings tuned adgcea. If you want pics or a video etc let me know and I'll tell you how I did it

Top Bottom