Ohana vs Mainland Cedar tenor

Icelander53

Reaction score
One of the last tonewoods I'm craving a try of these days. Ohana and Mainland both have one that interests me.

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/mainland-red-cedar-tenor
and
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ohana-tk-50-cedar-rosewood-tenor

I've heard great things about both of them and the brands but I can't lay hands on either one, so fine folk of the UU I once again come to you for help in decision making. I'm hoping that those who own either these specific models can talk about the sound and make quality and some details.

In specific, I have arthritis in my hands and the neck size makes a difference for me. I like a wider neck/nut and a thicker/fatter neck. So I'm hoping to get some specific feedback on the type of necks I'm going to be getting with either of these uke brands.

Then just overall what would be your choice between these two and why if you will. And thanks in advance.

And does Uke Republic do decent set ups? I think the answer is yes but if anyone has had a negative experience I specifically would like to hear your story about that in detail. If you don't feel comfortable talking about that in open forum feel free to PM me.

I have the Ohana CK-50 and love it. Absolutely love that ukulele. The sound is great - strong without being brash, with a lot of warm character. Really like the sustain as well. It is a great wood combination.

I really don't get it. You'd think that other people would find the neck sizing important information but whenever they put up pics of the uke and there are usually several they almost never put a full side on view so you can get a good look at the neck size. Sometimes I swear that those making the ads never actually use the product they are selling and no one reviews it before they put it out there.

End Rant.

But I did also notice at Uke Republic a Makai solid Cedar top Basswood for $185??????? Can that be done? I think I've heard good things about the brand but a fully solid wood instrument bought in the US for under $200??? Is that possible??

I'm with you on wishing the neck thickness would be standard spec info. A photo would be OK, but some measurement that the common person (me) could understand would be better. I'm even more surprised at how often the width at the nut is not included in an ukulele description.

To address your question: I've never even seen an Ohana or Mainland in person, although I believe that the Mainland width is 1 3/8 (and have read on UU that both brands are "made in the same factory" -- whatever that can mean).

I'm hoping someone here can give me a clue. You'd think there would be a few owners of these two brands of ukes on the boards here. I'm hopin they will chime in.

The tenor Ohana tk-50 is a superb instrument.
I have played the Maninland as well and also like it.
Cosmetically I like the abalone binding on the Ohana over the Mainland rope, but that it merely a personal choice.
The neck as a great feel to me, but again that is subjective choice. My girl friend plays the tk-50 and compares all other ukes to hers.
I keep mine in dgbe tuning, so it does not get as much play as it deserves.

No offense but saying "the neck has a great feel to me" doesn't address the question or help me in the least. Can you describe the size of the neck? (width of nut and thickness or fatness of the neck itself.)

It's a tad frustrating when people have handled these instruments but won't tell me about them.

I've not played the Ohana.
I've had two cedar/rosewood Mainlands. The one I still have is excellent. It has couple cosmetic flaws but sounds incredible. Best sound for the price I've ever had in an uke.
The other one was pretty good. It was fine. It sounded nice. I gave it away.
I like the necks on Mainlands. Not chunky. Pretty fast. Thinner at the nut than I prefer though.

No offense but saying "the neck has a great feel to me" doesn't address the question or help me in the least. Can you describe the size of the neck? (width of nut and thickness or fatness of the neck itself.)

It's a tad frustrating when people have handled these instruments but won't tell me about them.

Why don't you call UkeRepublic?
Just knowing the nut width won't give you much help, you need to feel the neck to see if is what you are looking for.

You could contact Mike at Uke Republic and ask him about both ukes. For the Mainland, you can contact (a different) Mike at Mainland. Mike at UR would have many ukuleles he could compare these two tenors to (as well as to each other), as he sells ukuleles. You also could ask him to compare the Mainland and the Ohana to one or more ukuleles that you are familiar with (if he sells any that you have or have played).

(EDIT: Sailing Uke's reply got in ahead of me -- didn't mean to repeat the advice.)

Last edited:
One of the last tonewoods I'm craving a try of these days. Ohana and Mainland both have one that interests me.

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/mainland-red-cedar-tenor
and
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ohana-tk-50-cedar-rosewood-tenor

I've heard great things about both of them and the brands but I can't lay hands on either one, so fine folk of the UU I once again come to you for help in decision making. I'm hoping that those who own either these specific models can talk about the sound and make quality and some details.

In specific, I have arthritis in my hands and the neck size makes a difference for me. I like a wider neck/nut and a thicker/fatter neck. So I'm hoping to get some specific feedback on the type of necks I'm going to be getting with either of these uke brands.

Then just overall what would be your choice between these two and why if you will. And thanks in advance.

And does Uke Republic do decent set ups? I think the answer is yes but if anyone has had a negative experience I specifically would like to hear your story about that in detail. If you don't feel comfortable talking about that in open forum feel free to PM me.

I never played either brand, but going just on looks like the ohana designs better
i dont like the rope design on the mainlands

I'm gonna make an honest attempt to actually answer the question here, because I've been where you are and I know the frustration!

I've played the Mainland. The nut width is 1 3/8", even a bit narrow for me, which I found surprising, and I don't have hand issues, I just like a bit wider string spacing apparently. The neck itself is thicker than, say, a Kala or KoAloha, but it's not what I would call chunky. Personally I wouldn't recommend it if you already know you have hand/finger issues.

Same with the Ohana, unfortunately. I haven't played this model. But I've had another Ohana, and the nut width was 1 3/8" as well, with a neck profile very similar to the Mainland. I even thought the Ohana neck was a little narrower at the nut than the Mainland was. (Not the nut width, but the neck profile itself.) I didn't have them at the same time so can't compare them directly.

Having said that, I like cedar as a tonewood myself. But I haven't found a production model with a wide nut and thick(er) neck, aside from maybe a Pono. I haven't played that one either, and it's out of this price range. Sorry I can't offer more positive comments, but that was my experience.

BTW yes, Mike at Uke Republic does do setups, as does Mike from Mainland. I've gotten good setups and service from both.

Well saint's be praised. Thank you so much for doing your best to address the actual questions I've asked. So from what you say the Mainland and Ohana are not thin necked but average or a just a little fatter than average. I could live with that I guess. Like you I like a little more space between the strings and so Mainland might be the way to go.

And yeah I'm not going to spring for a Pono just yet but I do like the necks on those babies. They are fun to play and I've had two of them to try out.

Thanks for your help my friend. You rock.

Yes, between these 2 I'd go Mainland. And the neck was the main reason I did choose that one. Glad to help!

My Mainland mango and slothead cutaway mahogany tenors are both 35mm edge to edge at the nut, 28mm G string to A string. I gave the Rosewood Red Cedar to a grand child so I can't measure it but I'm sure it was probably the same.

Don't have an Ohana.

Ponos have thick necks, Mokus have wide necks. They both come in several wood options....

Top Bottom