watchuseek a forum for watch enthusiasts
I think it would be good to have a place
for people with affordable ukes to discuss
with like minded players as well as those with
high end instruments to discuss there's
just a suggestion.

PhilUSAFRet
06-30-2014, 04:39 AM
I've noticed that players with inexpensive instruments sometimes have a difficult time getting replies to questions about them, while the same question about a Kamaka will get dozens or more replies. Just an observation. I try and answer the question that is asked as well as I can, regardless of the instrument in question or it's " perceived desirability." Ahoha!

RAB11
06-30-2014, 04:43 AM
Or we just converse like adults and accept that some have the means and inclination to buy high-end ukes, some don't.

Along with not taking every single post on here as though it was aimed directly at yourself. There's no need to be so defensive about everything.

Although to be fair this post is aimed directly at you, didn't want to derail the $1000 uke thread, and I'm probably out of order, but there is no reason to throw your toys out the pram because people called you out on the way you went completely on a tangent on that thread when no-one was really disagreeing with you. At least from the way I see it.

Can't wait to get home and play my 100 Korala. Hope you get a chance to play your ukes and destress too.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 04:43 AM
I've noticed that players with inexpensive instruments sometimes have a difficult time getting replies to questions about them, while the same question about a Kamaka will get dozens or more replies. Just an observation. I try and answer the question that is asked as well as I can, regardless of the instrument in question or it's " perceived desirability." Ahoha!

thanks :) yea thats the thing it would be nice to have a forum dedicated to both sections it may help people
get answers to their questions better. Some are here just to play who want to know to play the music
how music works etc etc its not about the actual material item for them as much as it is about learning
the instrument. Its just a suggestion.

coolkayaker1
06-30-2014, 04:48 AM
just a suggestion but their should be two
forums one for affordable ukes and one for
k brand and high and ukes they do this on
just a suggestion.

I think the distinction would be far too ambiguous.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 04:50 AM
I think the distinction would be far too ambiguous.

I disagree i think it would be helpful.

RichM
06-30-2014, 04:54 AM
It seems unnecessary. We have had excellent conversations about $25 Woodi plastic ukes, $50 Schoenhuts, Lanikais and Kalas and Mainlands and Ohanas of every stripe. In fact, I would wager there are more conversations about sub-$300 instruments than there are about higher-end instruments. And many players play instruments from a wide range of price points, as there are good instruments to be had in all of them. Creating more divisions on the forum will just make it harder to navigate and stratify the community instead of bringing it together.

For that matter, there are many, many valuable threads on music, style, technique, etc. Every thread has a title-- if you are going to spend most of your time in a thread called "Are $1000 ukes worth it?" you can bet people will be talking about expensive ukes. As this *is* a community, consider starting more threads that address your interests, and you are bound to find like-minded people who want to participate.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 04:56 AM
It seems unnecessary. We have had excellent conversations about $25 Woodi plastic ukes, $50 Schoenhuts, Lanikais and Kalas and Mainlands and Ohanas of every stripe. In fact, I would wager there are more conversations about sub-$300 instruments than there are about higher-end instruments. And many players play instruments from a wide range of price points, as there are good instruments to be had in all of them. Creating more divisions on the forum will just make it harder to navigate and stratify the community instead of bringing it together.

For that matter, there are many, many valuable threads on music, style, technique, etc. Every thread has a title-- if you are going to spend most of your time in a thread called "Are $1000 ukes worth it?" you can bet people will be talking about expensive ukes. As this *is* a community, consider starting more threads that address your interests, and you are bound to find like-minded people who want to participate.

I've noticed threads (including mine) about lesser expensive ukes being ignored
i figured this may be a way to have those people get replies and help with their instruments
being its a section for people who are interested in that. I still feel it would be helpful....just a suggestion.

Pukulele Pete
06-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Inexpensive ukes are discussed here all the time. Do a search on this site for Dolphin , Shoenhut ,plastic ukes , the is a shitload of info . Like RichM said , low end ukes are discussed here all the time and the longest threads seem to be the ones on the inexpensive ukes. Either you get a reply or you dont , it doesnt mean that your uke is too cheap. The same questions have been answered here over and over , maybe if you didnt get a replie is because your question is one of those. Try doing a search for your question , maybe the answer is there. Peace and Love , peace and love.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 05:10 AM
Inexpensive ukes are discussed here all the time. Do a search on this site for Dolphin , Shoenhut ,plastic ukes , the is a shitload of info . Like RichM said , low end ukes are discussed here all the time and the longest threads seem to be the ones on the inexpensive ukes.

i understand but it seems when people seek help with certain brands they seem to be ignored over the K brand and expensive uke threads.
Just thought it may be helpful to get people answers to their questions.

coolkayaker1
06-30-2014, 05:11 AM
I've noticed threads (including mine) about lesser expensive ukes being ignored

It's like on a car forum. If one thread is titled, "NCarD--Ferrari Testarossa", it's simply going to get more views than a thread, "New muffler for my Camry". That's just human nature, I.

cashew
06-30-2014, 05:27 AM
I'm also betting that some people don't use the search function to see if their question has been asked before.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 05:28 AM
I'm also betting that some people don't use the search function to see if their question has been asked before.

I know how to use the 'search function'.
I just figured this may be a helpful friendly way
to have people not feel like shit buy other players
with expensive instruments but hey what can you do.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 05:34 AM
It's like on a car forum. If one thread is titled, "NCarD--Ferrari Testarossa", it's simply going to get more views than a thread, "New muffler for my Camry". That's just human nature, I.

I don't think thats really the case, musslecars are a thing people are into (for reasons really unknown to me)
music is music, if someone has a question about it it would be helpful to be answered by people who have experience
with those instruments. A camery there i'm sure if a forum all about them. There isn't a 'affordable' ukes forum i dont think
you have a good comparison there.

On the watch forum i mentioned the 'affordable watches' section is just as active as say the breitling and rolex discussions.
Keeping the status and mentality separate weeds out nasty comments and arguments and gets to the meat of the discussion
without any bs. I think it could be helpful!

kissing
06-30-2014, 05:40 AM
To be brutally honest, one of the reasons why inexpensive ukes aren't discussed in great detail is because there actually isn't a lot of detail to be discussed about them.

Most inexpensive ukes are.. well.. a lot of them come from the same factory and are re-branded.
And they usually have similar levels of quality control.

There's not a huge sense of unique identity attributed to what are mass produced "generic" ukuleles.

Sure they may differ in looks, neck profiles, etc, but these things can usually be summarised in a few posts by those who have played them.

I think it is true that upper-end ukes have more characteristic and unique characteristics as musical instruments worth discussing about.

Same reason why there's not a great deal to talk about $5 plastic recorders, but more to talk about professional wooden ones made by renowned instrument makers.

Don't get me wrong, I love inexpensive ukuleles. A lot of my ukuleles are inexpensive ukuleles.
But I don't particularly have a lot to say about them other than that they're good value, durable and give a nice, generic ukulele tone.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 05:44 AM
To be brutally honest, one of the reasons why inexpensive ukes aren't discussed in great detail is because there actually isn't a lot of detail to be discussed about them.

Most inexpensive ukes are.. well.. a lot of them come from the same factory and are re-branded.
And they usually have similar levels of quality control.

There's not a huge sense of unique identity attributed to what are mass produced "generic" ukuleles.

Sure they may differ in looks, neck profiles, etc, but these things can usually be summarised in a few posts by those who have played them.

I think it is true that upper-end ukes have more characteristic and unique characteristics as musical instruments worth discussing about.

Same reason why there's not a great deal to talk about $5 plastic recorders, but more to talk about professional wooden ones made by renowned instrument makers.

well...i see people saying 300-600 dollar new martins are 'crap' on here. I had one and i thougth it was great.
I just got a new tenor uke made by amahi (snail uke line) and i brought it to sam ash and guitar center and compared
it to every uke on the wall and it sounded 100000 times better than all of them (lanikai, kala , cordoba etc) and looked nicer.
I disagree with you on that there are some factory made ukes that are better than others and there is a lot of things
one can discuss and creative ideas to set them up and make them sound even better its just a matter of investing time
into something, when you can't invest as much money. Than i have a blue star konablaster which is a luither made electric uke
which plays like a dream and sounds amazing and yet is affordable, than i see people dismissing the whole company making
assumptions about the brand based on one review they read written 10 years ago about the soprano model. Ah well!

itsscottwilder
06-30-2014, 05:45 AM
Just a quick post to say that my experience on the forums has been on the whole a very positive one. The most expensive Uke I own is less than $200.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 05:47 AM
Just a quick post to say that my experience on the forums has been on the whole a very positive one. The most expensive Uke I own is less than $200.

for the most part same here just trying to offer something that may help even more so this isn't a post of anger
but more a post trying to make things more efficient.

Stevelele
06-30-2014, 05:49 AM
I would be in favor of implementing a suggestion that was posed a while back--have a separate forum for vintage instruments and one for custom instruments. Those categories seem pretty distinct.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 05:50 AM
I would be in favor of implementing a suggestion that was posed a while back--have a separate forum for vintage instruments and one for custom instruments. Those categories seem pretty distinct.

that would also be helpful theres nothign wrong with having more sub forums i think it would be more efficient.

Pukulele Pete
06-30-2014, 05:56 AM
Where are the posts that say new Martins are "crap" ? ? Wutz up with that ? Maybe this is the reason you don't receive replies.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 05:58 AM
Where are the posts that say new Martins are "crap" ? ? Wutz up with that ?

i dont know but ive seen people say now new martins suck and favor only vintage ones
i disagree having owed a newer martin and loved it.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:02 AM
Where are the posts that say new Martins are "crap" ? ? Wutz up with that ? Maybe this is the reason you don't receive replies.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?68106-Newer-Martins&highlight=newer+martin+ukes

the reason why i don't receive replies because i made an observation on peoples opinions? I think newer martins
are great! i'm not dissing them just saying what some people have said here has nothing to do with my opinion!

janeray1940
06-30-2014, 06:03 AM
FWIW: I own and play Kamakas, and have played my share of Martins, Koalohas, Collings, Nationals, and Kanile'as. I answer threads about them as I am familiar with the ukes and generally have an opinion about them. I've played a few Ohanas and might offer an opinion about those from time to time. As far as I know, I've never tried out any other brand of uke.

I ignore threads about pretty much all other brands, not because of cost, but because I have no hands-on experience with them and therefore, nothing constructive to offer.

Looking at the OP's list of ukes, I've never even seen any of those brands in person save for the Diamond Heads. I wouldn't comment on a thread about any of them, since I'd have nothing helpful to say - but that doesn't mean it's some sort of snub.

Also, and I won't be the first to say this: "affordable" is subjective and it's been addressed countless times in other threads. My "affordable" is going to be very different than the "affordable" of a college student, or of a person supporting a family, or of a person who spends money on things like cars and clothes and jewelry and vacations.

Kayak Jim
06-30-2014, 06:04 AM
On this and other forums in which I participate I prefer fewer sub-forums rather than more. I'd rather scan fewer lists to see if any threads interest me.

If a thread isn't getting replies, it is just that, not a slight because of the instrument being discussed.

Vagrant
06-30-2014, 06:05 AM
just a suggestion but their should be two
forums one for affordable ukes and one for
k brand and high and ukes they do this on
just a suggestion.

I'm against the idea, as that would mean that this forum is purely for lusting over, buying and acquiring ukuleles (which is fun and all), rather than about playing music on ukuleles and learning to play music on ukuleles :)

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:06 AM
FWIW: I own and play Kamakas, and have played my share of Martins, Koalohas, Collings, Nationals, and Kanile'as. I answer threads about them as I am familiar with the ukes and generally have an opinion about them. I've played a few Ohanas and might offer an opinion about those from time to time. As far as I know, I've never tried out any other brand of uke.

I ignore threads about pretty much all other brands, not because of cost, but because I have no hands-on experience with them and therefore, nothing constructive to offer.

Looking at the OP's list of ukes, I've never even seen any of those brands in person save for the Diamond Heads. I wouldn't comment on a thread about any of them, since I'd have nothing helpful to say - but that doesn't mean it's some sort of snub.

that makes sense from this perspective.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:06 AM
I'm against the idea, as that would mean that this forum is purely for lusting over, buying and acquiring ukuleles (which is fun and all), rather than about playing music on ukuleles and learning to play music on ukuleles :)

to each is own each person has a different reason for being here hence different sub forums for different
interests within the subject.

kissing
06-30-2014, 06:10 AM
Why do I get the feeling that this suggestion sorta revolves around your perspective and not the interests of the the group as a whole?

The reason why certain topics don't get discussed in detail is not because it gets drowned out by topics about expensive ukuleles, but it's because people aren't as interested in talking about them.

You can't control that... that's the nature of a forum.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:14 AM
Why do I get the feeling that this suggestion sorta revolves around your perspective and not the interests of the the group as a whole?

The reason why certain topics don't get discussed in detail is not because it gets drowned out by topics about expensive ukuleles, but it's because people aren't as interested in talking about them.

You can't control that... that's the nature of a forum.

Its just an observation and and this sub forum concept
seems to work well in forums of other subject i don't
see why it wouldn't work here. But anyway its my 2 cents agree to disagree.

RichM
06-30-2014, 06:15 AM
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?68106-Newer-Martins&highlight=newer+martin+ukes

the reason why i don't receive replies because i made an observation on peoples opinions? I think newer martins
are great! i'm not dissing them just saying what some people have said here has nothing to do with my opinion!

I read that whole thread over again. Of 30 posts, only three are critical of the new Martins, and the toughest criticism they have is "underwhelmed." Not one says new Martins suck or anything even close to it. In fact, most praise the new Martins, and one participant provides a very useful video to illustrate their point.

If this is the kind of thread you're railing against, I just don't get your point. If someone jumps in and says, "this uke sounds like crap!" I agree that is not productive or useful; tells us why, whether it is tone, playability, or some other issue. However, in the thread you pointed to as an example of the problem, I see enthusiastic ukulele players sharing their opinions and justifying them with reasonable observations. That's what a discussion is; that's what a forum is for.

cashew
06-30-2014, 06:15 AM

Seriously?

I think maybe instead of feeling like shit, you should just maybe get a slightly thicker skin. People will have things nicer than you and want to show them off, people will have lesser things than you and also want to show them off. I've never felt as you've described because of any other player, Honestly the worst I've felt/done was to shake my head at other people's hubris.

Maybe I'm crazy. Who knows.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:16 AM
I read that whole thread over again. Of 30 posts, only three are critical of the new Martins, and the toughest criticism they have is "underwhelmed." Not one says new Martins suck or anything even close to it. In fact, most praise the new Martins, and one participant provides a very useful video to illustrate their point.

If this is the kind of thread you're railing against, I just don't get your point. If someone jumps in and says, "this uke sounds like crap!" I agree that is not productive or useful; tells us why, whether it is tone, playability, or some other issue. However, in the thread you pointed to as an example of the problem, I see enthusiastic ukulele players sharing their opinions and justifying them with reasonable observations. That's what a discussion is; that's what a forum is for.

thats just one thread and i've seen it discussed in acosustic guitar forums as well people saying new martins are not good, they suck however you want to describe it.
I'm just sharing my observation. Not trying to spark a fight, and i'm sure if i spent hours digging through here i could give you a nice rebuttal with quotes from threads here
but i really don't feel i need to.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:19 AM
Seriously?

I think maybe instead of feeling like shit, you should just maybe get a slightly thicker skin. People will have things nicer than you and want to show them off, people will have lesser things than you and also want to show them off. I've never felt as you've described because of any other player, Honestly the worst I've felt/done was to shake my head at other people's hubris.

Maybe I'm crazy. Who knows.

I just don't see the reason for people to knock brands other people like because
they have something more expensive. Everyone has an opinion just expressing mine.
This thread was not designed to be a pissing match but an attempt to suggest
something may make the forum more efficient.

kissing
06-30-2014, 06:19 AM

So somehow dividing the forum into the "Cheap ukuleles subforum" and "Expensive ukulele subforum" will lessen this class discrimination that supposedly exists?

Osprey
06-30-2014, 06:20 AM
I have one ukulele. It is a $135.00 Kala exotic mahogany tenor. I put low G Aquilla Reds on it and I really enjoy it I have only been playing for less then a year so I am still a realative beginner. I would like to step up in quality to a solid top at least fairly soon (maybe a $300-$400 range). I may covet a $1000+ ukulele but not sure I will ever justify the expense. Nevertheless, I enjoy the Uke Talk forum as it is. I feel there is room for all levels of playing ability and instrument value. I enjoy most discussions when people respond as adults and respect others point of view when they don't I just ignore their posts. Life is too short to sweat inmature responses.
Cliff

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:21 AM
So somehow dividing the forum into the "Cheap ukuleles subforum" and "Expensive ukulele subforum" will lessen this class discrimination that supposedly exists?

its more so people can directly discuss those brands with out having to bump things up, you are looking into it from the wrong perspective i was just trying to make it more efficient. I'm throwing in the towel though i offered my suggestion...leave it or take it.

cashew
06-30-2014, 06:22 AM
I just don't see the reason for people to knock brands other people like because
they have something more expensive. Everyone has an opinion just expressing mine.

I don't think there's much knocking, but there are people expressing their opinions- Personally, I can't stand certain ukes, both 'budget minded' and 'expensive'. Because I say I was underwhelmed with the performance of a uke doesn't make it a knock, it makes it an opinion.

Anywhoo. In the words of people wiser than me...

Don't fix what ain't broken.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:23 AM
I have one ukulele. It is a $135.00 Kala exotic mahogany tenor. I put low G Aquilla Reds on it and I really enjoy it I have only been playing for less then a year so I am still a realative beginner. I would like to step up in quality to a solid top at least fairly soon (maybe a $300-$400 range). I may covet a $1000+ ukulele but not sure I will ever justify the expense. Nevertheless, I enjoy the Uke Talk forum as it is. I feel there is room for all levels of playing ability and instrument value. I enjoy most discussions when people respond as adults and respect others point of view when they don't I just ignore their posts. Life is too short to sweat inmature responses.
Cliff

i've seen a few bits of sarcasm and snideness on here i could do with out that.
I thought maybe this would make the forum a little easier to use but hey
it was just a suggestion. Btw that kala is very nice i considered it but went
for the pacific walnut concert i really dug it but wanted a tenor and ended up
returning it to get the money back to buy a tenor (being i dont have enough for both).
One day i'll prob get that uke again it was really nice,

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:24 AM
I don't think there's much knocking, but there are people expressing their opinions- Personally, I can't stand certain ukes, both 'budget minded' and 'expensive'. Because I say I was underwhelmed with the performance of a uke doesn't make it a knock, it makes it an opinion.

Anywhoo. In the words of people wiser than me...

Don't fix what ain't broken.

just curious what expensive ukes have you tried that you didn't like?

kissing

I think you answered your own question...

Down Up Dick
I think the government should put a cap on ukulele prices--say $200. Then all those rich ukers couldn't be swaggering around with their high priced, fancy equipment. Maybe there could be a limit on the number of ukuleles per person or mebbe per household. How about a tax on solid Ukes? Maybe better players should hafta wear heavy weights on their strumming hands. All this would take us a long way towards being equal--wouldn't it?

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:26 AM
I think the government should put a cap on ukulele prices--say $200. Then all those rich ukers couldn't be swaggering around with their high priced, fancy equipment. Maybe there could be a limit on the number of ukuleles per person or mebbe per household. How about a tax on solid Ukes? Maybe better players should hafta wear heavy weights on their strumming hands. All this would take us a long way towards being equal--wouldn't it?

:sigh: really?
do me a favor and go on watchuseek a forum for watch enthusiasts it seems to work perfectly
well over there thought maybe it would be a nice way to organize the forum. I get it you disagree
you don't need to be snide about it.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:27 AM
I think you answered your own question...

Hmmm "This thread was not designed to be a pissing match but an attempt to suggest
something may make the forum more efficient." ill leave it at that.

kissing
06-30-2014, 06:30 AM
It is confusing as to what the real intention of your suggestion is...

Is it simply to organise the forum into subforum, so topics about inexpensive ukuleles can get more spotlight?

Or is it to filter peoples' opinions? Make a forum where the expensive ukulele owning folk are not allowed to have an opinion you don't agree with about an inexpensive ukulele

Don't misunderstand this as having a go at you for making a suggestion.. it's just that your suggestion raises many issues ...

hoosierhiver
06-30-2014, 06:34 AM
So who decides what makes the cut?
I've played some "custom" ukes built by amateurs that weren't very good, but were expensive.
I've played some fairly inexpensive factory ukes that can stand their own against K brands.
Maybe some sellers/builders need to raise their prices so they can get get on the A list.
So who is going to decide what brands are good enough or not for the sake of "efficiency"?

tbeltrans
06-30-2014, 06:38 AM

This is off-topic, but your post just begs for this comment in support of your points -

Being new here, I have spent much of the weekend (I just retired and can now be a bit silly with my time :)) wandering through a couple of the forums here from start to finish (haven't finished yet, of course). I am absolutely flabbergasted at the wealth of REAL information in these pages! There are people who have literally created FREE ebooks and learning materials and videos. This place is astonishing.

A bit more on topic, from what I have seen, it seems to be complete intermingling of owners of all manner of ukuleles. Honestly, I am not seeing snobbishness.

I am neither particularly for or against having a forum for lower cost instruments. Personally, I do see merit in it from the sense that such a group is just as valid as, say, the custom build forum over on the acoustic guitar forums. One suggestion I would make is to try it and see if there is enough traffic to warrant keeping such a forum alive. I don't see that it hurts anything and may actually prove beneficial. I don't know if moderators are following this thread or even how one goes about getting a new sub-forum, but it seems feasible to me.

Regards,

Tony

Pukulele Pete
06-30-2014, 06:40 AM
Hmmm "This thread was not designed to be a pissing match but an attempt to suggest
something may make the forum more efficient." ill leave it at that.
It really makes it fun to read though .

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:45 AM
It is confusing as to what the real intention of your suggestion is...

Is it simply to organise the forum into subforum, so topics about inexpensive ukuleles can get more spotlight?

Or is it to filter peoples' opinions? Make a forum where the expensive ukulele owning folk are not allowed to have an opinion you don't agree with about an inexpensive ukulele

Don't misunderstand this as having a go at you for making a suggestion.. it's just that your suggestion raises many issues ...

of course people can chime in on any thing they want. i just felt as though different kind of ukes have different kind of people who play them
it would be nice to converse with people who make less money who enjoy playing who can't afford a K-brand instrument it would be nice
to discuss the topics of affordable instruments without the clutter of the other threads and visa versa i don't see whats so confusing about it.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:46 AM
So who decides what makes the cut?
I've played some "custom" ukes built by amateurs that weren't very good, but were expensive.
I've played some fairly inexpensive factory ukes that can stand their own against K brands.
Maybe some sellers/builders need to raise their prices so they can get get on the A list.
So who is going to decide what brands are good enough or not for the sake of "efficiency"?

You can pretty much use common sense and figure that out, i think we all know the basic " intermediate" brands
and the K brands and higher end brands. And your luither built instrument can actually be discussed in the subforum
already designed for that!

cashew
06-30-2014, 06:49 AM
of course people can chime in on any thing they want. i just felt as though different kind of ukes have different kind of people who play them
it would be nice to converse with people who make less money who enjoy playing who can't afford a K-brand instrument it would be nice
to discuss the topics of affordable instruments without the clutter of the other threads and visa versa i don't see whats so confusing about it.

Ok, Just to set one thing straight. All ukes are played by all people.
Lets say I had a nice expensive uke- and I'm not Rich... I just put money aside every week till I could afford it.
Lets say I'm a multi-millionaire, and I buy a cheapie.

There's no use segregating people based on what they have. It's only what you put into it.
I've handed off my cheapies to talented players, and they made my ukes SING to the point where you wouldn't know they weren't super fancy special name brands.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Ok, Just to set one thing straight. All ukes are played by all people.
Lets say I had a nice expensive uke- and I'm not Rich... I just put money aside every week till I could afford it.
Lets say I'm a multi-millionaire, and I buy a cheapie.

There's no use segregating people based on what they have. It's only what you put into it.
I've handed off my cheapies to talented players, and they made my ukes SING to the point where you wouldn't know they weren't super fancy special name brands.

I understand that i just figure this type of organization would allow peoples threads to have a better response it seems to work in other types of forums
quite well, again agree or disagree its your opinion all i offered was a suggestion.

Rllink
06-30-2014, 07:13 AM
I'm for fewer subforums. My thought is that if someone is skipping threads about cheap ukes, they are going to skip the subforum about cheap ukes. Anyway, I have a cheap uke, I like my cheap uke, I did a review of it in the reviews subforum, a few people commented, but not very many, and I don't take it personal. Besides, when I get rich and famous because someone posts a video that goes viral of me playing my uke, everyone will read all my posts, and want a uke just like mine. That's my plan anyway.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 07:15 AM
I'm for fewer subforums. My thought is that if someone is skipping threads about cheap ukes, they are going to skip the subforum about cheap ukes. Anyway, I have a cheap uke, I like my cheap uke, I did a review of it in the reviews subforum, a few people commented, but not very many, and I don't take it personal. Besides, when I get rich and famous because someone posts a video that goes viral of me playing my uke, everyone will read all my posts, and want a uke just like mine. That's my plan anyway.

I don't know i always use the search function to find threads on affordable ukes i figured this would make it easier but again...just a suggestion im sure it will be ignored anyway :D

Rllink
06-30-2014, 07:25 AM
I don't know i always use the search function to find threads on affordable ukes i figured this would make it easier but again...just a suggestion im sure it will be ignored anyway :DWell, I haven't been around long enough to really have an opinion that amounts to much anyway. If we did end up with another subforum, it would not cause me any distress. I just thought that I would throw my two cents in. In the long run, it doesn't make any difference to me.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 07:27 AM
Well, I haven't been around long enough to really have an opinion that amounts to much anyway. If we did end up with another subforum, it would not cause me any distress. I just thought that I would throw my two cents in. In the long run, it doesn't make any difference to me.

fair enough....

SteveZ
06-30-2014, 07:31 AM

And that's the rub - the belief that income levels control musical knowledge and skill, and that folk need to be segregated by income level, otherwise there are disconnects and snobbery. Haven't seen it yet except by a very few, and the attitude had nothing to do with income level or musical knowledge/skill - just bad manners.

Changing a forum that most accept as "free" costs money. Bandwidth isn't cheap and formatting changes take time, money and oftentimes both. To add subforums either comes at a discontinuing of existing ones or purchase of additional bandwidth - there is no free lunch.

There is another option - start another forum just for whatever "affordable" ukuleles are. There's always room for another forum.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 07:33 AM
And that's the rub - the belief that income levels control musical knowledge and skill, and that folk need to be segregated by income level, otherwise there are disconnects and snobbery. Haven't seen it yet except by a very few, and the attitude had nothing to do with income level or musical knowledge/skill - just bad manners.

Changing a forum that most accept as "free" costs money. Bandwidth isn't cheap and formatting changes take time, money and oftentimes both. To add subforums either comes at a discontinuing of existing ones or purchase of additional bandwidth - there is no free lunch.

There is another option - start another forum just for whatever "affordable" ukuleles are. There's always room for another forum.

yup was just a suggestion. I guess it was a bad idea the mods can close this thread now.

Rick Turner
06-30-2014, 09:14 AM
Maybe if you spent half the time you spend posting and bitching on either playing or earning more money, this whole envy thing would go away. You're clearly pissed off that some people can afford upper end ukes. What about all the other stuff people spend money on? It must really piss you off to see someone wearing jewelry or a Rolex or driving a BMW or especially a Tesla. I can't afford a lot of stuff I'd like to have, but I'm not angry with those who can unless they're robber barons.

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 09:18 AM
Maybe if you spent half the time you spend posting and bitching on either playing or earning more money, this whole envy thing would go away. You're clearly pissed off that some people can afford upper end ukes. What about all the other stuff people spend money on? It must really piss you off to see someone wearing jewelry or a Rolex or driving a BMW or especially a Tesla. I can't afford a lot of stuff I'd like to have, but I'm not angry with those who can unless they're robber barons.

I think it goes deeper than that. I already expressed my point of view on the other thread. I think its more of a political belief.
But this particular thread wasn't about 'bitching' it was actually about maybe trying to have beginners or people with less expensive
ukes talk about them in a sub forum to make it easier instead of weeding out or digging through threads it was a friendly suggestion.
I'm not envious actually....but i'd rather not explain my views again in another thread this again was not posted to start augments it was just
a friendly suggestion.