forums one for affordable ukes and one for
k brand and high and ukes they do this on
watchuseek a forum for watch enthusiasts
I think it would be good to have a place
for people with affordable ukes to discuss
with like minded players as well as those with
high end instruments to discuss there's
just a suggestion.

I've noticed that players with inexpensive instruments sometimes have a difficult time getting replies to questions about them, while the same question about a Kamaka will get dozens or more replies. Just an observation. I try and answer the question that is asked as well as I can, regardless of the instrument in question or it's " perceived desirability." Ahoha!

Or we just converse like adults and accept that some have the means and inclination to buy high-end ukes, some don't.

Along with not taking every single post on here as though it was aimed directly at yourself. There's no need to be so defensive about everything.

Although to be fair this post is aimed directly at you, didn't want to derail the $1000 uke thread, and I'm probably out of order, but there is no reason to throw your toys out the pram because people called you out on the way you went completely on a tangent on that thread when no-one was really disagreeing with you. At least from the way I see it.

Can't wait to get home and play my £100 Korala. Hope you get a chance to play your ukes and destress too.

I've noticed that players with inexpensive instruments sometimes have a difficult time getting replies to questions about them, while the same question about a Kamaka will get dozens or more replies. Just an observation. I try and answer the question that is asked as well as I can, regardless of the instrument in question or it's " perceived desirability." Ahoha!

thanks :) yea thats the thing it would be nice to have a forum dedicated to both sections it may help people
get answers to their questions better. Some are here just to play who want to know to play the music
how music works etc etc its not about the actual material item for them as much as it is about learning
the instrument. Its just a suggestion.

just a suggestion but their should be two
forums one for affordable ukes and one for
k brand and high and ukes they do this on
watchuseek a forum for watch enthusiasts
I think it would be good to have a place
for people with affordable ukes to discuss
with like minded players as well as those with
high end instruments to discuss there's
just a suggestion.

I think the distinction would be far too ambiguous.

It seems unnecessary. We have had excellent conversations about $25 Woodi plastic ukes, $50 Schoenhuts, Lanikais and Kalas and Mainlands and Ohanas of every stripe. In fact, I would wager there are more conversations about sub-$300 instruments than there are about higher-end instruments. And many players play instruments from a wide range of price points, as there are good instruments to be had in all of them. Creating more divisions on the forum will just make it harder to navigate and stratify the community instead of bringing it together.

For that matter, there are many, many valuable threads on music, style, technique, etc. Every thread has a title-- if you are going to spend most of your time in a thread called "Are $1000 ukes worth it?" you can bet people will be talking about expensive ukes. As this *is* a community, consider starting more threads that address your interests, and you are bound to find like-minded people who want to participate.

It seems unnecessary. We have had excellent conversations about $25 Woodi plastic ukes, $50 Schoenhuts, Lanikais and Kalas and Mainlands and Ohanas of every stripe. In fact, I would wager there are more conversations about sub-$300 instruments than there are about higher-end instruments. And many players play instruments from a wide range of price points, as there are good instruments to be had in all of them. Creating more divisions on the forum will just make it harder to navigate and stratify the community instead of bringing it together.

For that matter, there are many, many valuable threads on music, style, technique, etc. Every thread has a title-- if you are going to spend most of your time in a thread called "Are $1000 ukes worth it?" you can bet people will be talking about expensive ukes. As this *is* a community, consider starting more threads that address your interests, and you are bound to find like-minded people who want to participate.

I've noticed threads (including mine) about lesser expensive ukes being ignored
i figured this may be a way to have those people get replies and help with their instruments
being its a section for people who are interested in that. I still feel it would be helpful....just a suggestion.

Inexpensive ukes are discussed here all the time. Do a search on this site for Dolphin , Shoenhut ,plastic ukes , the is a shitload of info . Like RichM said , low end ukes are discussed here all the time and the longest threads seem to be the ones on the inexpensive ukes. Either you get a reply or you dont , it doesnt mean that your uke is too cheap. The same questions have been answered here over and over , maybe if you didnt get a replie is because your question is one of those. Try doing a search for your question , maybe the answer is there. Peace and Love , peace and love.

Last edited:
Inexpensive ukes are discussed here all the time. Do a search on this site for Dolphin , Shoenhut ,plastic ukes , the is a shitload of info . Like RichM said , low end ukes are discussed here all the time and the longest threads seem to be the ones on the inexpensive ukes.

i understand but it seems when people seek help with certain brands they seem to be ignored over the K brand and expensive uke threads.
Just thought it may be helpful to get people answers to their questions.

I'm also betting that some people don't use the search function to see if their question has been asked before.

I know how to use the 'search function'.
I just figured this may be a helpful friendly way
to have people not feel like s** buy other players
with expensive instruments but hey what can you do.

It's like on a car forum. If one thread is titled, "NCarD--Ferrari Testarossa", it's simply going to get more views than a thread, "New muffler for my Camry". That's just human nature, I.

I don't think thats really the case, musslecars are a thing people are into (for reasons really unknown to me)
music is music, if someone has a question about it it would be helpful to be answered by people who have experience
with those instruments. A camery there i'm sure if a forum all about them. There isn't a 'affordable' ukes forum i dont think
you have a good comparison there.

On the watch forum i mentioned the 'affordable watches' section is just as active as say the breitling and rolex discussions.
Keeping the status and mentality separate weeds out nasty comments and arguments and gets to the meat of the discussion
without any bs. I think it could be helpful!

To be brutally honest, one of the reasons why inexpensive ukes aren't discussed in great detail is because there actually isn't a lot of detail to be discussed about them.

Most inexpensive ukes are.. well.. a lot of them come from the same factory and are re-branded.
And they usually have similar levels of quality control.

There's not a huge sense of unique identity attributed to what are mass produced "generic" ukuleles.

Sure they may differ in looks, neck profiles, etc, but these things can usually be summarised in a few posts by those who have played them.

I think it is true that upper-end ukes have more characteristic and unique characteristics as musical instruments worth discussing about.

Same reason why there's not a great deal to talk about $5 plastic recorders, but more to talk about professional wooden ones made by renowned instrument makers.

Don't get me wrong, I love inexpensive ukuleles. A lot of my ukuleles are inexpensive ukuleles.
But I don't particularly have a lot to say about them other than that they're good value, durable and give a nice, generic ukulele tone.

Last edited:
To be brutally honest, one of the reasons why inexpensive ukes aren't discussed in great detail is because there actually isn't a lot of detail to be discussed about them.

Most inexpensive ukes are.. well.. a lot of them come from the same factory and are re-branded.
And they usually have similar levels of quality control.

There's not a huge sense of unique identity attributed to what are mass produced "generic" ukuleles.

Sure they may differ in looks, neck profiles, etc, but these things can usually be summarised in a few posts by those who have played them.

I think it is true that upper-end ukes have more characteristic and unique characteristics as musical instruments worth discussing about.

Same reason why there's not a great deal to talk about $5 plastic recorders, but more to talk about professional wooden ones made by renowned instrument makers.

well...i see people saying 300-600 dollar new martins are 'crap' on here. I had one and i thougth it was great.
I just got a new tenor uke made by amahi (snail uke line) and i brought it to sam ash and guitar center and compared
it to every uke on the wall and it sounded 100000 times better than all of them (lanikai, kala , cordoba etc) and looked nicer.
I disagree with you on that there are some factory made ukes that are better than others and there is a lot of things
one can discuss and creative ideas to set them up and make them sound even better its just a matter of investing time
into something, when you can't invest as much money. Than i have a blue star konablaster which is a luither made electric uke
which plays like a dream and sounds amazing and yet is affordable, than i see people dismissing the whole company making
assumptions about the brand based on one review they read written 10 years ago about the soprano model. Ah well!

Last edited:
Just a quick post to say that my experience on the forums has been on the whole a very positive one. The most expensive Uke I own is less than $200.

for the most part same here just trying to offer something that may help even more so this isn't a post of anger
but more a post trying to make things more efficient.

I would be in favor of implementing a suggestion that was posed a while back--have a separate forum for vintage instruments and one for custom instruments. Those categories seem pretty distinct.

I would be in favor of implementing a suggestion that was posed a while back--have a separate forum for vintage instruments and one for custom instruments. Those categories seem pretty distinct.

that would also be helpful theres nothign wrong with having more sub forums i think it would be more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom