does anyone have clips of matlock playing the uke?

iamesperambient

Reaction score
I remember my grandparents watching 'matlock' and andy griffith
i swear to god would just bust out a uke and play, but i dont remember how it sounded does anyone remember? i cant find any clips or anything and to be frank i dont really want to just watch the show to find out.

I used to watch the show regularly, I don't remember him playing the uke, but do remember him playing a four string banjo.
In the opening shot he is playing something, but it goes by so quick I can't tell what it is.

I couldn't find Andy Griffith
How about Lucille Ball?
With the crest on the headstock, I'm guessing she is playing a Favilla

thanks for the clip whats sad is people are laughing in the background and she actually plays quite well pretty cool clip.
Didn't Miss Monroe play uke too or was that just a stage prop?

I used to watch the show regularly, I don't remember him playing the uke, but do remember him playing a four string banjo.
In the opening shot he is playing something, but it goes by so quick I can't tell what it is.

YEP thats what im trying to figure out was it a uke a tenor guitar or a tenor banjo?
i didn't play music when i saw this as a kid i just remember it was a small 4 stringed instrument
im trying to find out if in fact it was uke.

Matlock_S6.jpg

rsonator uke with a very odd shape?

http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/covers/matlock-the-fourth-season-dvd-cover-48.jpg

looks like a national reso uke with a design / shape i've never seen.

https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bulletin/bulletin-nonpop.asp?popup=true&BulletinID=13051
here we go a very pretty/unique pineapple shaped national reso uke.
i wish i could get a clip of him playing.

Last edited:
I just read that supposedly Don Knotts introduced Andy Griffith to the Ukulele. I can't verify that though.

However, there is proof that Don Knotts did play the Ukulele and played it on "The Don Knotts Show" in the early 70's.

Cool thread here. I vaguely remember Andy Griffith rocking that banjo (or whatever it is) - my dad and Grandpa used to love that show.

I just read that supposedly Don Knotts introduced Andy Griffith to the Ukulele. I can't verify that though.

However, there is proof that Don Knotts did play the Ukulele and played it on "The Don Knotts Show" in the early 70's.

thats awesome, did not know that ! its cool he plays a reso-uke a national resonator is probably the only instrument i would do anything for
because it has such a distinct sound and history behind it i love those things.

I remember my grandparents watching 'matlock' and andy griffith
i swear to god would just bust out a uke and play, but i dont remember how it sounded does anyone remember? i cant find any clips or anything and to be frank i dont really want to just watch the show to find out.
Sorry to revive an 8 year old thread, but here is a clip of Matlock on the Ukelele:

Top Bottom