PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to the Ukulele Festival in Oahu in a few weeks?

greenie44
06-30-2014, 02:54 PM
I went a couple of years ago and it was a gas. Any UUers headed there this year? It's Sunday, July 20, 11-5 at Kapiolani Park. It would be great to meet some of you nice people in person.

Bjblue2
06-30-2014, 02:58 PM
I trust you mean July 20?

Nickie
06-30-2014, 03:07 PM
I only wish.....

greenie44
06-30-2014, 03:43 PM
I trust you mean July 20?

You trust correctly - I fixed the original post. Thanks for the catch!

pinkuke
06-30-2014, 03:53 PM
I'll be there!

Pueo
06-30-2014, 05:10 PM
I will be there! I will also be performing with the Kolohe Ukulele Club.

Pueo
06-30-2014, 05:11 PM
Hey Greenie, how about a seasons collab while you are in town?

hawaii 50
06-30-2014, 05:12 PM
come by The Ukulele Site (HMS) tent.... there should be some UU members close by...
some have already said they will come by...

see you there

greenie44
06-30-2014, 05:23 PM
come by The Ukulele Site (HMS) tent.... there should be some UU members close by...
some have already said they will come by...

see you there

I'll stop by too, but I am already dreading a massive UAS flareup . . . .

hawaii 50
06-30-2014, 05:37 PM
I'll stop by too, but I am already dreading a massive UAS flareup . . . .

Haha....you have to come down to the Store in Haleiwa to see all the ukes....Andrew just brings a few ukes to the festival...
Cali Rose and Craig Brandeau say they will stop by...you can see their Ko'olau's while they are there....
and about 4 other UU members said they will stop by...Uncle Rod Higuchi one of them.....:)

kohanmike
06-30-2014, 08:08 PM
The leader of the CC Strummers, Cali Rose and her husband Craig Brandeau are abandoning us for two weeks going to Hawaii and the uke festival, missing four sessions. I do envy them, 64 years old and I've never been to Hawaii. (That might be a good thing since I don't think I could control my UAS there.) (Hey hawaii 50, you beat me to the punch.)

hawaii 50
06-30-2014, 08:09 PM
The leader of the CC Strummers, Cali Rose and her husband Craig Brandau are abandoning us for two weeks going to Hawaii and the uke festival, missing four sessions. I do envy them, 64 years old and I've never been to Hawaii. (That might be a good thing since I don't think I could control my UAS there.) (Hey hawaii 50, you beat me to the punch.)

what punch?

HBolte
07-01-2014, 03:16 AM
Thanks so much for posting this! I'm going to be in Honolulu that day and didn't know about the Uke Fest!!

VampireWeekday
07-01-2014, 04:06 AM
I'll probably be there.

hawaii 50
07-01-2014, 04:55 AM
Thanks so much for posting this! I'm going to be in Honolulu that day and didn't know about the Uke Fest!!

are you going to have your MBU with you...love to see it.... :)

HBolte
07-01-2014, 07:15 AM
are you going to have your MBU with you...love to see it.... :)

No, sorry. I'll have my indestructible RISA travel soprano.

hawaii 50
07-01-2014, 07:17 AM
No, sorry. I'll have my indestructible RISA travel soprano.

no probs....see you there

kohanmike
07-01-2014, 07:43 AM
what punch?

Cali Rose and Craig Brandeau.

hawaii 50
07-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Cali Rose and Craig Brandau.

Haha...sorry Mike I still don't get it??? :)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Haha...sorry Mike I still don't get it??? :)

You're a little slow this morning Len. He wants you to punch Cali & Craig when you see them.

hawaii 50
07-01-2014, 08:04 AM
You're a little slow this morning Len. He wants you to punch Cali & Craig when you see them.

hahaha...good one Chuck...

I will keep it a secret...but are you coming to the festival...we will set up the throne if you come by....:) not the bathroom kind...:)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-01-2014, 08:29 AM
hahaha...good one Chuck...

I will keep it a secret...but are you coming to the festival...we will set up the throne if you come by....:) not the bathroom kind...:)

I'm currently working on getting clearance to land the helicopter near Andrew's booth.

Pueo
07-01-2014, 09:06 AM
I'm currently working on getting clearance to land the helicopter near Andrew's booth.
If that does not work out, you can land it at Kalealoa and I will drive you :)"

kohanmike
07-01-2014, 09:46 AM
I just meant you mentioned that Cali and Craig were going to be there just a moment before I posted my reply.

Newportlocal
07-01-2014, 10:17 AM

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w466/Deckhand1/imagejpg1-15.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Deckhand1/media/imagejpg1-15.jpg.html)

Cali Rose
07-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Hubby Craig Brandau and I are attending the festival and very excited to be there. It's a vacation for us!

Ukejenny
07-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Envy envy ENVY!!!!!!! Would love to be there!!!

Kimosabe
07-01-2014, 11:14 PM
I'm a big fan of Craig Brandau and have really enjoyed his book, website and videos.

So, let me help those coming to Waikiki to enjoy it. I live in Waikiki. Restaurants can be expensive but if you do a little walking you can have great and inexpensive food.

In Waikiki try Marukami Udon. Really great noodles made there and the curry noodles are fantastic. Outside of Waikiki you have to go to Da Spot. Really wonderful choices for less than $10. They're up on South King Street near University. I'm 63 and walk all over the city. It's really safe, just be careful of drivers. Chinatown has Lucky Belly for ramen, and the Little Village Noodle House for quality Chinese food, and To Chau for great Vietnamese pho. Goma Tei has great ramen at the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Hale Vietnam up on Waialae Ave and 12th Street is fantastic.

Sans Souci is the nicest beach in the Waikiki area but the best beaches are out in the Waimanalo area; Bellows is only open on the weekend. Ala Moana Beach and Park is non touristy and great.

There are great hikes in Manoa and in Makiki, areas of Honolulu. Do a little research. The Manoa Falls trail and Pu'u Pia trail and the Makiki Loop Trail. If you like jungle scenery......

You can save money by not renting a car and by using the bus system which is cheap and goes everywhere.

There's a uke group that plays behind the police station on Sunday evenings in Waikiki.

I got to shake Ohta San's hand at one festival. Troy Fernandez used to play on the street in Waikiki. Corey Fujimoto has hand-delivered a uke to my apartment.

If you're a walker, don't be afraid to explore the city on foot. Lots to see and explore.

HBolte
07-02-2014, 03:00 AM
I'm a big fan of Craig Brandau and have really enjoyed his book, website and videos.

So, let me help those coming to Waikiki to enjoy it. I live in Waikiki. Restaurants can be expensive but if you do a little walking you can have great and inexpensive food.

In Waikiki try Marukami Udon. Really great noodles made there and the curry noodles are fantastic. Outside of Waikiki you have to go to Da Spot. Really wonderful choices for less than $10. They're up on South King Street near University. I'm 63 and walk all over the city. It's really safe, just be careful of drivers. Chinatown has Lucky Belly for ramen, and the Little Village Noodle House for quality Chinese food, and To Chau for great Vietnamese pho. Goma Tei has great ramen at the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Hale Vietnam up on Waialae Ave and 12th Street is fantastic.

Sans Souci is the nicest beach in the Waikiki area but the best beaches are out in the Waimanalo area; Bellows is only open on the weekend. Ala Moana Beach and Park is non touristy and great.

There are great hikes in Manoa and in Makiki, areas of Honolulu. Do a little research. The Manoa Falls trail and Pu'u Pia trail and the Makiki Loop Trail. If you like jungle scenery......

You can save money by not renting a car and by using the bus system which is cheap and goes everywhere.

There's a uke group that plays behind the police station on Sunday evenings in Waikiki.

I got to shake Ohta San's hand at one festival. Troy Fernandez used to play on the street in Waikiki. Corey Fujimoto has hand-delivered a uke to my apartment.

If you're a walker, don't be afraid to explore the city on foot. Lots to see and explore.

I'll give a big second to Marukami Udon, if I only have time for one meal in HNL it is there. Also the Rainbow Drive-Inn is a must if you have not been, plus it's a just short walk from the park.

greenie44
07-02-2014, 03:23 AM

Thanks for the great tips. Our favorite low-priced Chinese place is The Golden Duck - not in Waikiki, but really good and reasonable. And not far from Wailoa Shave Ice - mmmmm, our favorite!

Kimosabe
07-02-2014, 06:16 AM
Yes, I forgot to mention Rainbow Drive In. You're right. A short walk from Kapiolani Park and definitely where the Hawaiians eat and socialize. Try a loco moco.

I'm happy to give Oahu tips. I know it well and am a foodie. If you want to spend more try Alan Wong's. Obama enjoys it. It's really not that expensive for a world class restaurant. Reservations needed. Long pants.

Doraku in the Royal Hawaiian Center is a great place for sushi, especially during happy hour. A beautiful restaurant on top of great food.

For great Hawaiian music in Waikiki, go to the Kanakapila Grill or the Tapas Bar in the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Hoku Zuttermeister plays at the Corner Kitchen near the Rainbow Drive In.

Usually ukulele is employed in groups with guitars and basses and sometimes keyboards. Men and women spontaneously dance the hula to songs, many of which use falsetto singing. The ukulele is usually a rhythm instrument with occasional melodic solos. I did see signs around town for a group called something like Motley Uke. I guess they do heavy metal uke music.

Trinimon
07-02-2014, 07:05 AM
Damn, wish I could be there! A couple years ago, I missed it by a week due to poor planning. I was supposed to go this year but change of plans. I'm aiming for 2015!! My sis and her family (nephew plays the uke) will be there this year. Lucky buggers!

Kimosabe
07-02-2014, 09:28 AM
I forgot to mention one of the best sea food restaurants around, Nico's at Pier 39. Pan-seared ahi with furikake seasoning. Outstanding and a beautiful restaurant.

Uncle Bo's and the
Side Street Inn on Kapahulu are easy walks from Waikiki. I love Waikiki but the restaurants are expensive and a little bit of a walk gets you out of the touristy areas and into where locals eat. Irifune is very good for Japanese food on Kapalulu.

Walk down the Ala Wai Canal in the Diamond Head direction. When you get to the end of the canal turn left and go up Kapahulu. Lots of good restaurants.

If you want to get to other great restaurant areas ask people how you get to Waialae Ave at the top of Kapahulu. It's filled with great restaurants.

Hale Vietnam wins awards for best Vietnamese restaurant.

Like I say, I live in Waikiki and love it but don't get stuck in Waikiki. Get out and see nearby Honolulu.

Pueo
07-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Always wanted to try Irifune, thanks for the tip. I love Marukame UDON. Just had curry udon last Saturday, yum! Also want to try Hale Vietnam. My favorite Vietnamese place is the Green Papaya, across the street from Ala Moana. My wife and I are looking for a good Chinese restaurant and a good place for Dim Sum. I agree with all the comments so far.

I also love how EVERY post about some event in Hawaii always ends up talking about food.

Oh, and don't forget to hit Leonard's on Kapahulu for some malasadas! There might be a Leonard's malasadamobile at the ukulele festival.

Pueo
07-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Hubby Craig Brandau and I are attending the festival and very excited to be there. It's a vacation for us!

I have had a friend request on FB from Craig for years - I kind of have a thing where I don't really accept friend requests from people I don't personally know; or at least have met. So if I meet you and Craig, I look forward to accepting the request! :D

Kimosabe
07-02-2014, 09:58 AM
I'd love to meet Craig myself. I think I was one of the first to buy his book and I've recommended it to many. Craig, please put out another! I like how you honor and respect your teacher.

But, back to food, glorious food: I'm hungry. I walked around Diamond Head this morning with my wife. A little less than two hours. A plumber's working in our apartment. I can't eat or practice uke until he's gone.

So, if you're out on the Windward side, Kailua way, stop in at the Kailua L and L and get the Kalua pig and cabbage rice bowl. I wouldn't normally go out of my way to recommend L and L but the Kailua one has great Kalua pig. We always eat there. You might even be able to catch up on your Pidjin with some of the construction workers who stop in there.

hawaii 50
07-02-2014, 12:44 PM
I just heard that Jake will be there...

Kimosabe
07-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Jake should be there seeing as he lives in the neighborhood next to the park in which the festival shall occur, Kapiolani Park. Probably Roy Sakuma, Herb Ohta, and the folks from Kanilea and HMS to name a few.

hawaii 50
07-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Jake should be there seeing as he lives in the neighborhood next to the park in which the festival shall occur, Kapiolani Park. Probably Roy Sakuma, Herb Ohta, and the folks from Kanilea and HMS to name a few.

Haha.that is funny of course Roy Sakuma will be there...it is his festival and he is the MC.....:)

greenie44
07-02-2014, 03:15 PM
So, if you're out on the Windward side, Kailua way, stop in at the Kailua L and L and get the Kalua pig and cabbage rice bowl. I wouldn't normally go out of my way to recommend L and L but the Kailua one has great Kalua pig. We always eat there. You might even be able to catch up on your Pidjin with some of the construction workers who stop in there.

I like L & L, but especially the one in the Costco parking lot (the one just before you jump on the highway to the airport). They are the only one I have found with mochiko chicken - ummmm, Ono!

Kimosabe
07-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Okay, now we're talking chicken. If you haven't been to Sugoi you'd better get there.

I don't know how we found it but when we were leaving we asked directions to the Aloha Bowl from some locals. They told us but in a friendly way asked why the heck we were at Sugoi. Tourists just don't come there. It's next to Young's Fish Market. Garlic chicken. Mochiko chicken. Plate lunch. Better try them all. Gonna break the mout!

Time to write some songs about food in Hawaii. You don't think Iz got as big as he did sitting around playing the uke all day.

hawaii 50
07-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Okay, now we're talking chicken. If you haven't been to Sugoi you'd better get there.

I don't know how we found it but when we were leaving we asked directions to the Aloha Bowl from some locals. They told us but in a friendly way asked why the heck we were at Sugoi. Tourists just don't come there. It's next to Young's Fish Market. Garlic chicken. Mochiko chicken. Plate lunch. Better try them all. Gonna break the mout!

Time to write some songs about food in Hawaii. You don't think Iz got as big as he did sitting around playing the uke all day.

the restaurant I go to next to Young's Market is Utegi(sorry bout spelling) the best oxtail soup and shoyu pork around ...IMO

HBolte
07-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Since we're talking food, it would be unfair not to tell everyone about the malasadas at Leonard's Bakery, just up the road from the Rainbow.

Trinimon
07-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Since we're talking food, it would be unfair not to tell everyone about the malasadas at Leonard's Bakery, just up the road from the Rainbow.

Mmmm! Leonards! Nothing like malasadas straight out from the fryer! Agne's Portuguese Bake shop out in Kailua also makes really good malasadas and pineapple turnovers.

I like the old Nico's before da fire. Now they've lost that little greasy spoon/hole in the wall feel. I heard through the coconut grapevine that Liliha Bakery is opening up a location around the Hilo Hattie? Gonna make it real easier to get to for some coco puffs and award winning loco moco plate lunch! Mmm mmm mmm! I can't believe my bro-in-law who's been going to Hawaii for more than 15yrs has never had a loco moco!

Let's not forget Helena's for their pipikaula ribs! Yeah yeah, it's not traditional pipikaula but it tastes damn good! I tried to make my own but it's just not the same. :)

If you like poke, check out the Poke-Stop. Too bad they're not closer to Waikiki but they got soooo much different poke, your belly is gonna bust!

The Highway Inn serves up pretty good lomi lomi and kalua pig.

Ok, all this Hawaiian food and culture stuff is making me depressed. :(

hawaii 50
07-03-2014, 06:54 AM

I hope you and Craig have time to visit Noa at Ko'olau....:)
that would be cool...

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-03-2014, 10:07 AM
OK, guys all this talk of food is getting me hungry!

Uncle Rod here, I'll be leaving for HNL on Mon the 7th and I'm planning on attending the Ukulele Festival Hawaii on Sunday, July 20th.

I'm also planning on participating with a group called the 'Strummers" about 200 of them. Please contact me via text at (206) 234-6972 and I'll give you info so you can get in on the action and earn your very own golden Participant's Medallion, a real keepsake! Be prepared to purchase an official Ukulele Festival T-shirt as your uniform :)

I suppose the HMS tent will be the official UU meet and greet location?

I don't have a car at the moment, but it would be great to be able to get mmstan out to the Ukulele festival. He needs a wheelchair, so be advised. He may not be able to make it the entire day, but he really needs to be part of our UU get-together... right Stan? of course! :) We'll try to make it extra comfortable for you.

If anyone is free after the Festival is over, perhaps we could have a meal together.

BTW, I generally help the Aunties out who give free ukulele lessons, Tues thru Fridays, at the Royal Hawaiian Center
Food Court, from 10 -11. Aunty Wainani teaches Tues and Thursdays, and Aunty Puakeala teaches Wed and Fridays...
at least that's how it was a couple of years ago :) If the RHC still offers free ukulele lessons, I plan on being there.
I also try to get to Melveen Leed's Sat concerts (free) at the food court in the International Market Place. I think it starts around 11a on Saturdays, again that was a couple of Summers ago. I hope she still does it.

Now that you all have my phone number, please feel free contact me when you're in Honolulu. I may not have a car
so I'll be on foot, but I'll do my best to get together with any UUers, time permitting. We can meet at Ala Moana Beach Park for an informal Kanikapila/Jam Session/Lessons, etc :) Remember, I'm planning on being in Waikiki Tues thru Fridays, as long as the Royal Hawaiian Center still holds their free ukulele lessons at the food court from 10-11a.

Let's make this a memorable event for all the UUers who can be there.

PS I'm part of a weekly ukulele group called STRUM (Seattle's Totally Relaxed Ukulele Musicians) and we're planning to 1) apply to be one of the groups participating in the Ukulele Festival Hawaii 2015, and 2) being in HNL anyway during the event as our 'Rock the Sands' event. We're planning on renting a house to split expenses and have a great
time together while in HNL.

Pueo
07-03-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm happy to help try to get Stan to the festival.

hawaii 50
07-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Hey Rod nice to hear you are going to be here and trying to get things together...

but the Int'l Market Place closed about 4 months ago...they are building a newer nicer one.....high end shops
other than that things still kind of the same...

hope too meet you soon

HBolte
07-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Text sent Uncle Rod. A meet up at the HMS tent would be great. I'll have a car too if needed.

Hans

Ukuleleblues
07-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a blast

Dan Uke
07-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Haha....you have to come down to the Store in Haleiwa to see all the ukes....Andrew just brings a few ukes to the festival...
Cali Rose and Craig Brandeau say they will stop by...you can see their Ko'olau's while they are there....
and about 4 other UU members said they will stop by...Uncle Rod Higuchi one of them.....:)

Len, you working at HMS now?

hawaii 50
07-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Len, you working at HMS now?

nope just hang out and check out all the ukes there...and listen to the stories and watch Corey play etc...
and stuff like today..I watched Andrew record Corey.. on Chuck's 2 new MBUs...wow!
I been lucky to see so many nice ukes come through....:)

trying to meet all the nice folks in the uke community....the festival looks like a good time....

greenie44
07-06-2014, 05:48 AM
Hey Len -

Do you know if the booths are going to be open before 11, the official start time? Might be a nice time for an I formal UU meetup at he HMS booth.

hawaii 50
07-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Hey Len -

Do you know if the booths are going to be open before 11, the official start time? Might be a nice time for an I formal UU meetup at he HMS booth.

yes last year with MGM we got there around 9-930 to set up....
all the vendors there early too...best time to check out all the ukes etc....but not officially open till 11am

if you driving there you have to get there around that time to find parking
...as it is a busy day at Kapiolani Park....there might be a half or full(?) marathon going on that day...that starts around the Park too....

if you are staying in Waikiki just walk over....

Kimosabe
07-06-2014, 11:45 AM
kimosabe will be there around 9am w/o Tonto. Do you ukers carry around your good ukes or your beaters?

Gillian
07-06-2014, 04:06 PM
All this talk of Hawaiian food and restaurants and no mention of Zippy's?

Dan Uke
07-06-2014, 04:42 PM
All this talk of Hawaiian food and restaurants and no mention of Zippy's?

I've been on Oahu for 4 days and had Zippys for 3 meals!!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-11-2014, 07:49 AM
Hey UUers,
I've been in HNL since Mon the 7th. Got to watch Germany embarrass Brazil and saw Argentina outshoot Netherlands, both compliments of Round Table Pizza in Waikiki. I had lunch there after the free uke lessons at Royal Haw'n Ctr.
I'm preparing to attend the free factory tour at Koakoha at 10a today, Fri the 11th.
The lowdown re: participating w/the Strummers at the Festival on Sun the 20th, attend the free workshop at the Ala Moana Hotel on Sat the 19th at 10a, upstairs balllroom., I believe. Also, plan on purchasing a Festival T-shirt as your uniform. Then, on Sunday, look for the Strummers sign to gather behind the bandstand to prepare for the performance, after which we will exit under a rainbow of balloons and receive the coveted gold performers medallion!
Let's plan on meeting at the HMS tent to jam and assist in any way we can. I'm planning on being there as early as possible, 9-ish.

See you there, and keep uke'in',

Pueo
07-11-2014, 09:22 AM
I wish I could go to KoAloha with you today Uncle Rod, but I have to work :(
Tomorrow I am going to hear some free live music at Kapolei park from 5-7:30pm.
Kuana Torres Kahele, Kamakakehau Fernandez, and Heart & Soul.
See you there!

http://inkapolei.com/1122/ukulele-jam-2014/

greenie44
07-11-2014, 02:04 PM
I'll be over at the Fest early - I stay right across Kapahulu from the part. See you then. Uncle Rod, I met you briefly at the last Fest I went to. It was after the event and you were kind enough to give me one of your tutorials.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-12-2014, 05:09 PM
looking forward to meeting you again, Greenie!

I'm planning on bringing a few pre-production STRUM Songbooks for our UU Jam behind (?) the HMS tent.
bring a chair and music stand and join in. I gave a copy to 'Pops' Okami at Koaloha yesterday. Mark was giving
a production meeting, so Paul did the honors re: my factory tour. Very interesting! (Thanks again, Paul!)

I just signed up for the 1-4p uke class with Kimo Hussey, Fri the 18th. Anyone else registered?

keep uke'in',

hawaii 50
07-12-2014, 07:47 PM
here is something to do on Sat July 19...take a drive to the country...but leave early,traffic might be pretty bad...
they also have the Haleiwa Art show going on....

but for a nice ukulele concert....

http://www.waimeavalley.net/index.php/homepage-articles/99-2014-summer-concert-series

greenie44
07-13-2014, 05:43 AM
I just signed up for the 1-4p uke class with Kimo Hussey, Fri the 18th. Anyone else registered?

keep uke'in',

Hey Uncle Rod - I did not hear about this class. I won't be there until later Friday, but are there other classes?

Mahalo in advance.

greenie44
07-13-2014, 05:44 AM
here is something to do on Sat July 19...take a drive to the country...but leave early,traffic might be pretty bad...
they also have the Haleiwa Art show going on....

but for a nice ukulele concert....

http://www.waimeavalley.net/index.php/homepage-articles/99-2014-summer-concert-series

Whoa - this looks great! Thanks for the tip!

hawaii 50
07-13-2014, 06:02 AM
Kanikapila Grill....
music every night

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203128684915494&set=a.1220902560200.2032660.1158022586&type=1&theater

wickedwahine11
07-13-2014, 06:06 AM
Kanikapila Grill....
music every night

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203128684915494&set=a.1220902560200.2032660.1158022586&type=1&theater

I second that recommendation. The last time I was in Oahu, I saw Weldon perform there. It is a nice intimate venue in the heart of Waikiki, and they get some really good performers. I am hoping to see Cyril next time. And if you check in on Yelp, you get free dessert. Ono!

localmana
07-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Another food idea is the Farmer's Market at Kapiolani Community College on Saturday's. Come early. Healthy local grown food. The city buses go there.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-14-2014, 03:17 AM
i just spent the afternoon & evening w/mmstan. Stan would like to invite any UUers to his place after the Festival to continue the UU Kanikapila/Jam. Stan is in pain and will probably not joining us at the Festival on Sunday the 20th, but he'd love seeing and playing with us at his place. he has quite a stable of ukes for us to see and play! hope some of you will plan on joining us.

ps: let stan know when you're in town... we might be able to meet up for a meal, esp if you are able to pick him up (along with his portable wheel chair),

pps: I'm still planning on being at the free ukulele lessons at the Royal Hawaiian Center Food Court, 10-11a, Tues thru Fri. let's meet & greet & eat! : )

hawaii 50
07-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Had a nice time with Uncle Rod Higuchi at Auntie Wainani's uke class at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping center today....then a nice lunch at The Cheesecake Factory.....

I got MM Stan to make it out and Utako a Canadian friend who is here for the Festival....good food and good fun....:)

it is going to be great weather....clear and sunny with nice tradewinds....but the surf is building so parking will be tough at Kapiolani Park....get there early if you are driving...

hawaii 50
07-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Hey Uncle Rod - I did not hear about this class. I won't be there until later Friday, but are there other classes?

Mahalo in advance.

If you want lessons from The Top Teachers of Hawaii check out this website....and they right in Waikiki
btw Kimo one of the best too...:)

http://www.poepoehcc.com/en/courses/ukulele-programs/

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Waikiki weather forecast from Weather Underground as of this morning. Uhg.

Sunday 80% Precip.
Scattered thunderstorms in the morning, then mainly cloudy during the afternoon with thunderstorms likely. High 82F. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Sunday Night 80% Precip.
Scattered thunderstorms during the evening becoming more widespread overnight. Low 74F. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

hawaii 50
07-16-2014, 07:41 AM
Thanks Chuck for the update....
I just checked Weather Undergroud...looks like a good site to check weather around the world.....

hope we get lucky and the rain holds until after the festival....crossed fingers...:)

hope to meet your Tahitian friends....

greenie44
07-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Well, weather.com has only a 10%. Honestly, I have found Weather Underground to be more accurate, but I hope it's wrong this time.

I'll bring a raincoat, and a smile, and a ukulele!

mds725
07-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Waikiki weather forecast from Weather Underground as of this morning. Uhg.

Sunday 80% Precip.
Scattered thunderstorms in the morning, then mainly cloudy during the afternoon with thunderstorms likely. High 82F. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Sunday Night 80% Precip.
Scattered thunderstorms during the evening becoming more widespread overnight. Low 74F. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Chuck, are you going to be at the festival on Sunday?

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-16-2014, 03:49 PM
anybody got one of those portable canopys? we will need some cover/protection (if it rains, and even from the sun) for our informal UU Jam at/behind the HMS tent.

AndrewKuker
07-17-2014, 12:57 AM
we got an extra tent behind our tent this year. So feel free to congregate and have fun.
My wife ordered it so our son with autism can have room to jump and flap his hands in celebration. I'm sure no one will mind this. I always look at him and think, geez, he has more fun than anyone. It's quite infectious though, I'm sure you won't mind, stop on by and feel free to use the cover behind to stay dry and make some music.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-17-2014, 05:25 AM
Wow, Mahalos, Brah!

HMS is 'Full-Service', no?

I'm planning on visiting HMS today, w/a visitor from Canada, Utako.
We were invited by Hawaii 50 as he mans the store w/Corey : )

See you later, after the Free Uke Lessons at the Royal Hawaiian Center, 10-11a (Food Court).
Any UUers out there, come and join us!

keep uke'in',

Coconut Willie
07-17-2014, 07:17 AM
Wish I could be there....ahhh.....maybe one year I will make it!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Chuck, are you going to be at the festival on Sunday?

Aaargh. Looks like I waited to long to see about the weather. All the flights to and from Hilo appear to be booked now.

mds725
07-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Aaargh. Looks like I waited to long to see about the weather. All the flights to and from Hilo appear to be booked now.

I'm having the same problem with hotels!

hawaii 50
07-17-2014, 08:28 PM
I wish I could go to KoAloha with you today Uncle Rod, but I have to work :(
Tomorrow I am going to hear some free live music at Kapolei park from 5-7:30pm.
Kuana Torres Kahele, Kamakakehau Fernandez, and Heart & Soul.
See you there!

http://inkapolei.com/1122/ukulele-jam-2014/

Hey Damon...after hanging out with Uncle Rod...for 2 days....you and him will match up pretty good....same style of playing and he loves the Hawaiian songs too..

show up behind the HMS tent......:)

greenie44
07-18-2014, 07:05 AM
I've been watching Weather Underground, and the precipitation percentage for noon is down to 20%. Higher earlier in the morning, but looking better.

hawaii 50
07-18-2014, 07:53 AM
I've been watching Weather Underground, and the precipitation percentage for noon is down to 20%. Higher earlier in the morning, but looking better.

Pretty sure it is going to rain...
just keep your fingers crossed the storm changes it's path on Sunday.....but be ready for the rain....:)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-18-2014, 08:10 AM
From Weather Underground as of 8:00 am this morning (attached). Watched Guy Hagi last night and he confirms it's going to be a soggy weekend. Bring a rain coat and wear your brightest smiles.

tangimango
07-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Good thing Guy Hagi's weather prediction is always wrong. so might have a good chance of sunlight all day :) LOL

From Weather Underground as of 8:00 am this morning (attached). Watched Guy Hagi last night and he confirms it's going to be a soggy weekend. Bring a rain coat and wear your brightest smiles.

Pueo
07-18-2014, 08:54 PM
I am going to the workshop at the Ala Moana hotel at 10:00am Saturday. See you there!

hawaii 50
07-18-2014, 09:15 PM
I am going to the workshop at the Ala Moana hotel at 10:00am Saturday. See you there!

Hey Damon, Uncle Rod will be there....I am down at HMS with Corey on Saturday....but will be at Andrew's tent behind his HMS tent on Sunday....come by and hang out hopefully you guys can jam there...looking forward to it....:)

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Eh, Howzit, Brahs,

Yes, planning on being at the Ala Moana Hotel, Strummers' workshop to participate in the Ukulele Festival.

I need to leave right away for a ukulele lesson in Kalihi.

Better plan on getting some parking early on Sunday as 1) surf is up, 2) possible half-marathon, as well as 3) the Ukulele Festival.

planning on jamming in the canopy behind HMS' tent. Mahalo again, Andrew!

See everybody there!

PS bring music stand and some kind of chair

HBolte
07-20-2014, 07:52 AM
Nice and sunny now. Hope the rain stays away!

greenie44
07-20-2014, 09:17 PM
And you did not jinx the weather at all! Great meeting you today!

HBolte
07-20-2014, 11:44 PM
So glad I didn't jinx it too! Nice meeting you, Uncle Rod, Stan and other UU'ers. Also happy that Chuck Moore and his wife made the trip over, nice to meet you both!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-21-2014, 10:40 PM
HBolte, great to meet you as well.

thanks for seeking outthe HMS tent. I hope all the UUers who attended felt free to come by and get in on the fun.

hope to see you next time!

keep uke'in',