Hamemade uke strap: Came out better than expected

haertig

Reaction score
I started out trying to measure myself for the proper sized "Uke Leash" using a piece of paracord to measure myself and, well, ended up just making my own strap. Works well. I liked the idea of no metal or plastic hardware on the strap to bang against the uke (probably wouldn't have hurt the uke any, but it "sounds" like it could cause scratches, etc.)

The pieces are one 12 foot piece of paracord and one 25" piece of paracord.

Pictures pretty much tell it all. The knots I used were the "Diamond Knot" (that's the big round one) and the "True Lovers Knot" (that's the flat one). That little metal clip I don't plan to use, but it could be used if you don't normally wear a belt. It came off of one of my old work ID badges.

Attachments

• components.jpg
    components.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 60
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Showing the strap wrapped behind the neck and attached in the front. "Attached" means the end is fed between the belt and the pants, and the knot holds it in place because it's too fat to easily slide back between the belt and pants. You can also have the strap go over your shoulder and then diagonally across your back, to attach on the opposite side from the uke's neck on the back of your pants.

Attachments

• front_option.jpg
    front_option.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Showing attachment to belt.

Attachments

• knots.jpg
    knots.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 25
  • clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 26
Oh, I forgot to mentoin - you adjust how high the strap pulls the uke neck up by dragging more knots below your belt. That was probably obvious from the pictures though.

Cool! I just got a real UkeLeash last week and it's a nice piece. Yours looks like exactly the same concept. A little less, um, refined perhaps, but no less functional. :) I also made a paracord strap for my banjo uke but I'm not brave enough to post pictures cuz mine is literally just a loop with a knot in it. :p

I will probably go ahead and get a Uke Leash too. My original intent was to measure the size I would need by making a mock-up out of paracord. Or, I could just get the largest Uke Leash and cut off any excess length. But since another hobby of mine is tying knots, I thought, "Why not see what I can do? I'll just make my own strap to test if I like having a strap at all." I was going to braid the whole thing, but that would have taken a lot longer than just tying a flat knot to keep the two strands together every 6 inches or so.

Top Bottom