Interesting "Old Tricks" from long ago

Timbuck

Reaction score
I'm just in the final stages of part repair/restoration of this old 1920's solid Koa "Mossman Soprano"....I noticed a crack like defect across one of the sides in the centre of the waist bend...But I'ts not a crack, Fold or a wrinkle and its dead smooth to the touch :confused: on closer examination I discovered that it is actualy a joint :) The builder long ago must have feather edged the two pieces back about 20 mm and glued them together to save material, it's very well done cos' you can hardly see the the join on the inside and the outside has some faint cuts across the join to look like grain lines...The sides are only .050" thick so, I don't know if this joint was made before or after bending considering that Hide glue was used....Here a pic of it.

Last edited:
Well that is really interesting. Can't imagine hide glue standing up to the heat of bending (?), but if the pieces were joined after bending.... Wow. Thanks for sharing this.

These threads on your repair work are fascinating. Seems like an odd technique that would be more trouble than it's worth, but it has obviously held up for all this time.

Wow...that's an amazing joint. Especially in that location. I wonder if the factory spent more money in labor than just getting longer stock

And i thought I was cheap!!!

Possibly a side repair long after the build?

Top Bottom