How to play G?

cosmoblue

Reaction score
Ok. This is probably a simple question. Which finger do you put on the A string? Index or middle? I know that it would probably be better to wait until another ukulele class opens up, but I can't wait 3-6 weeks. Thanks.

Ok. This is probably a simple question. Which finger do you put on the A string? Index or middle? I know that it would probably be better to wait until another ukulele class opens up, but I can't wait 3-6 weeks. Thanks.

I actually do use both, depending on the song. if i do it with index, I find much easier to reach a whole lot of other chords, while when using the middle it's more relaxed to hold the Uke. Most people do use the middle though, cause that's how you do it on guitar...

It took a lot of practice for me to get either.

I just laid my pointer finger across CEA at the second fret and put my middle finger on the E string.

It sounded ok to me but I couldn't find that fingering anywhere so there must have been some taboo on it. Maybe it made the G a little sharp(my ear isn't that great) and I switched to the "proper" fingerings. Sometimes I still catch myself doing it. Is it wrong?

It's not wrong... I took a Blues Uke class awhile back and that was the way Del Ray was trying to get me to hold the G, had to do with movable chord shapes.

I hold the G with the pointer on A the middle on C and ring on E.

It's usually played:
C=pointer
E=ring
A=middle

But I occasionally bar CEA with my pointer and put my middle on the E string 3rd fret

I play:

C-middle
E-ring
A-pointer

because that feels the most natural. But depending on what I'm doing I may use the movable chord shape with the full bar on the second. I've seen it played like MisoHappy has it, but I just can't do it, because it feels uncomfortable for me.

People who've been on the uke forums for a while are probably tired of me typing this but....

In a perfect world, the proper fingering for a chord is one that is easiest to get to when coming from the previous chord and from when going to the next chord.

(I'm going to have to make me a macro of that or something.)

In fine, if you're pressing the right frets, you're doing it right.

a G chord is one that is played when the notes G, B, and D are played together. so pressing the C string down on the second fret makes it play a D note. pressing the E string down on the 3rd fret creates a G note. and pressing the A string down on the 2nd fret creates a B note. the G string can also be pressed down at the 4th fret to make another B note. and this will help when sliding up to, say, an A chord.

so you see, it doesnt matter what fingers you put where. what matters is the notes that are being played together to create the chord. so if that means you gotta use your thumb sometimes to make it easier for you, then so be it. as long as you can play all the notes clearly and you find the easiest way to do it for YOU, then you are not doing anything wrong. but one bit of advice i can give you is to be VERSATILE by learning different ways to position your fingers to play the same chord. just playing it one way (especially on the ukulele), will inhibit your growth with the instrument.

Top Bottom