Questions for dirk from south coast

iamesperambient

Reaction score
I could not find his email so i decided to post here and hopefully he will see it. I have a few questions. I'm looking to try out SC strings for my tenor i'm looking for strings with a mellow/warm sound with not super high tension and i can't seem to figure out the charts on the SC website it seems very overwhelming i could really use some help.

Another question what is the original tuning for a tenor uke?
As far as i knew it was reentrant C6 tuning with a low G but i have
been told that is not the case from others, maybe you could shed some light on this? thanks!

He will reply to your email. Dirk is a great guy.

just emailed him :)
he seems to be the only string expert out there i have a feeling his
insight may help me find the optimal string for my tenor. I'm trying to avoid
having to deviate from C6 tuning but i'm open to suggestions at this point.

Last edited:
Dirk gives quite a thorough breakdown of the different tunings and reentrant/linear string options on this: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?46949-Tunings-for-the-Standard-Tenor-Ukulele

I think in the end he recommends the old B flat tuning for reentrant (f'-bflat-d'-g'), linear D tuning if you don't want wound strings or linear C tuning with two wound strings...

im going to see what he says basically i want to try to keep standard C (im ok with gonig linear) but don't want to deviate from C6.
I just want something a tad more mellow than aquila honestly aquila is almost there but just something a tad more mellow/warm.

Let us know what he suggests. Curious to know if it is something other than SMLU. :p

Original tenor ukulele tuning is dGBE. Just like a baritone, but with a high D. Sounds great, if you can get the right strings (Aquila or Southcoast got such string sets).

This is how we tune our tenors at my house (Southcoast HU-NW).

I've tried several weights/tunings/sizes of Southcoasts and have been pleased with all of them.

Original tenor ukulele tuning is dGBE. Just like a baritone, but with a high D. Sounds great, if you can get the right strings (Aquila or Southcoast got such string sets).

SMU's is what he suggested and i will be ordering a set of those.
I actually just read re-entrant G was original tenor tuning.
I actually have re-entrant G tuning on my baritone using living water strings and i love it. I'm going to try south coast and i'm considering in the future contacting ken middleton about a custom tenor uke set for dGBE i actually i really love how it sounds on my baritone uke.

I just saw this post! You guys nailed a lot of it.

I think in the end he recommends the old B flat tuning for reentrant (f'-bflat-d'-g'), linear D tuning if you don't want wound strings or linear C tuning with two wound strings...

That's where I started Vagrant!

Let us know what he suggests. Curious to know if it is something other than SMLU. :p

Then I said something close to your recommendations, Jim. Here's a portion of that:

If you need to stay in C tuning, however, our "Soft" formula strings
should have the sound you're looking for. They're made of mixed materials
and designed to give a mellower sound on the trebles while keeping a clear,
well defined bass. Two options come to mind: the SMU-NWs & the SLMUs. You
can see how to select strings on this page:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/string sets.htm

Then at the bottom, proceed to the categories - then the "Ukulele String
Sets". That's the name we give to the category of the traditional Ukulele
reentrant form of tuning. There you'll find both sets I mentioned above.
Clicking on the charts to the left, you'll note the black dots which show
how we rate the tension on a given scale & tuning. Two things to consider.
First the type of tension you prefer, but second, the type of tension your
instrument will respond to. This is especially true with a Tenor in C
tuning - unless it's a very lightly braced soundboard, you may find you need
some tension with a tuning that high on an instrument of that size.

For that reason I might give a slight edge to the SMUs. Of course you
know your instrument best. The other reason I might go that way is that if
you want to try tuning down a bit, they'll give you more options.

You guys should not only write my site, but answer my mail! Of course there are now follow-up questions on Linear tuning. Tomorrow for that!

Last edited:

Then I said something close to your recommendations, Jim. Here's a portion of that:

You guys should not only write my site, but answer my mail! Of course there are now follow-up questions on Linear tuning. Tomorrow for that!

thanks for the tips dirk I will be placing
an order for the SMU strings shortly and see
how they feel !

just placed my order for the strings
will let you all know how they sound on my
tenor soon!

Top Bottom