PDA

View Full Version : Blackbird Clara Group

PereBourik
07-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Are there enough of us Clara players out here to start a group?

SailingUke
07-01-2014, 10:52 AM

A group of what ?
Sure do like my Clara. Played it Saturday at the LAExpo, plugged in on stage it was phenomenal.

PereBourik
07-01-2014, 11:02 AM
A group of what ?
Sure do like my Clara. Played it Saturday at the LAExpo, plugged in on stage it was phenomenal.

UU Forum has a Group option. Not sure what the benefit would be. But it's there.

Andy Chen
07-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm in. Big fan here, despite usually preferring tenor scale. It is so faultless in every other aspect that I overlook the slightly cramped scale length for me.

bborzell
07-01-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm gonna have the home visit Clara for a week. So, I'll join for a week.

Ukulele Eddie
07-01-2014, 03:20 PM
I'm a Clara owner and big fan (though I must admit my new-to-me Collings UC2 is getting a lot of love right now! ;-). Not sure what benefit there would be in a dedicated group, but happy to support the idea and give it a try. FWIW, the few other groups in here I joined have been worthless. I'm not saying there aren't subgroups that are worthwhile, but the few I tried have not been.

Also, anyone close enough to LA who wants to try my Clara (sorry, you can't take it with you!), is welcome. Just PM me.

Andy Chen
07-01-2014, 03:46 PM
There may be some purpose in this, considering Ekoa is such a new material. I think we all want to know: How it ages, how it takes an unfortunate dink or accident, how to take care of scratches, how it reacts after being exposed to rain, what are the best strings for it.. etc.

slackkey007
07-04-2014, 07:34 AM
For all of you lucky Blackbird Clara owners, here's a nice video of bruddah Kalei Gamiao playing a Blackbird Clara @ Blackbird Guitars::cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUdJdVWTb0E

Andy Chen
07-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Hi fellow Clara owners (and other interested parties): Do you guys remove the piece of padding on the underside of the top of the Access bag?

I just saw a Mya-Moe video about how there should ideally not be any pressure applied to the bridge by bags/cases. And it occurred to me that this piece of padding inside the Clara bag indeed applied pressure to the bridge, such that I can see indentation of the strings on it.

Should I remove it?

PereBourik
07-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Hi fellow Clara owners (and other interested parties): Do you guys remove the piece of padding on the underside of the top of the Access bag?

I just saw a Mya-Moe video about how there should ideally not be any pressure applied to the bridge by bags/cases. And it occurred to me that this piece of padding inside the Clara bag indeed applied pressure to the bridge, such that I can see indentation of the strings on it.

Should I remove it?

Mine shows the same indentations. I went to the Access website. That piece serves as a lower bout cushion when using the bag for a soprano. (Can't find it now.) I like the security of it, since there's nothing to secure the neck cradle. Pressure at the bridge never occurred to me. If you're worried get in touch with Joe at Blackbird. We're dealing with something unconventional here. Old rules may not apply.

geetee
07-06-2014, 07:58 PM
I moved the strip to the bottom, around the lower bout. There are velcro strips to attach it there for a nice snug fit.

And you can move the neck support to the top---and now it's a soprano case in case you get one.

Andy Chen
07-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Thanks geetee.

I was wondering if I should remove the padding altogether, since it covers the entire uke from top to bottom in my bag.

Andy Chen
07-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Mine shows the same indentations. I went to the Access website. That piece serves as a lower bout cushion when using the bag for a soprano. (Can't find it now.) I like the security of it, since there's nothing to secure the neck cradle. Pressure at the bridge never occurred to me. If you're worried get in touch with Joe at Blackbird. We're dealing with something unconventional here. Old rules may not apply.

I shall email Joe. I am guessing you are not really concerned about it?

PereBourik
07-07-2014, 02:55 AM
I shall email Joe. I am guessing you are not really concerned about it?

Not concerned until I know otherwise. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm more concerned, anal actually, about keeping the other ukuleles hydrated.

Andy Chen
07-07-2014, 06:21 AM
Not concerned until I know otherwise. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm more concerned, anal actually, about keeping the other ukuleles hydrated.

And that's the great thing about Blackbird's ukuleles.

Andy Chen
07-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Hi there fellow Clara owners:

Is my Clara the only one that a part under the bridge which is not so smooth or shiny as the rest of the body?

I cannot for the life of me remember if the slightly rougher spot had always been there, or is it cos of the sweat from my forearm?

Ukulele Eddie
07-17-2014, 06:16 PM

Is my Clara the only one that a part under the bridge which is not so smooth or shiny as the rest of the body?

I cannot for the life of me remember if the slightly rougher spot had always been there, or is it cos of the sweat from my forearm?

Mine is consistent with the rest of the body.

Andy Chen
07-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanks, Eddie. I may contact Joe after trying to apply some wax first

SailingUke
07-18-2014, 04:55 AM

Mine got funny after sweating as well. At first it bothered me, now I just ignore it.

Andy Chen
07-18-2014, 05:21 AM
Let's see if Joe responds here. If not, I'll email him and report back here.

Ukulele Eddie
07-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Correction. I just noticed my Clara also has a rough spot where my forearm rests on the uke.

Andy Chen
07-20-2014, 05:24 PM
While I don't think it's cause for concern, I shall email Joe anyway, just for curiosity's sake.

Andy Chen
07-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Joe of Blackbird has replied:

"Happily it appears to be a superficial, i.e. non-structural issue. That said, wiping down the instrument after playing and a regular waxing of the top is definitely advised. Also, if you (and any Clara owners for that matter) would like the issue addressed at the factory, you may return it to us for a quick refinish and sealing coat that will make it new again and with a greater barrier to sweat. This is an opt-in program as lots of folks are happy as is! Happily this process is 5-day turnaround once we receive the instrument. We'll cover return shipping and give it the once over as well as always."

stevepetergal
07-24-2014, 03:11 PM

Uh...I think that would be a flock.

PereBourik
08-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Bread crumb

PereBourik
08-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Joe of Blackbird has replied:

"Happily it appears to be a superficial, i.e. non-structural issue. That said, wiping down the instrument after playing and a regular waxing of the top is definitely advised. Also, if you (and any Clara owners for that matter) would like the issue addressed at the factory, you may return it to us for a quick refinish and sealing coat that will make it new again and with a greater barrier to sweat. This is an opt-in program as lots of folks are happy as is! Happily this process is 5-day turnaround once we receive the instrument. We'll cover return shipping and give it the once over as well as always."

My Clara has gone to Blackbird and come home again. She's beautifully refinished and sounding as good as ever.

Telperion
08-26-2014, 05:17 PM
PereBourik, can you comment any further on the results of your refinishing? Mine is the original finish that has the areas of roughness, but it hasn't bothered me enough to send it back. I had spoke with Joe a few weeks back and he offered the refinishing option, but I was afraid it might end up with a thick clear coat like on the headstock, which I don't want. If it's thin and clean, I might be interested. Does it seem to have altered the sound of your Clara at all?

-Steve

Ukulele Eddie
08-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Steve - I received mine back from re-finishing a week ago. It feels like it did when it was new but it's supposed to be more durable. I do not discern any difference in sound whatsoever. Still sounds great (mine is strung with Aquila Reds). Best, Eddie

PereBourik, can you comment any further on the results of your refinishing? Mine is the original finish that has the areas of roughness, but it hasn't bothered me enough to send it back. I had spoke with Joe a few weeks back and he offered the refinishing option, but I was afraid it might end up with a thick clear coat like on the headstock, which I don't want. If it's thin and clean, I might be interested. Does it seem to have altered the sound of your Clara at all?

-Steve

PereBourik
08-26-2014, 06:19 PM

-Steve

Steve - I received mine back from re-finishing a week ago. It feels like it did when it was new but it's supposed to be more durable. I do not discern any difference in sound whatsoever. Still sounds great (mine is strung with Aquila Reds). Best, Eddie

It is an indiscernibly thin coat of urethane. It looks and sounds no different from before.

I figure I must have some weird skin chemistry because polishing with wax broke down pretty quickly. That's why I sent it back. Turnaround was actually faster than 5 days.

Andy Chen
08-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Mine also went back to Joe. Because I am in Singapore and I'm also taking the opportunity to swop the tuners for Gotoh UPTs, it's taking a little longer to return to me.

mo9090x
08-26-2014, 09:00 PM
If swapping to Gotoh UPTs what will they do with the extra holes drilled for the standard production tuners? Fill them?

Mine also went back to Joe. Because I am in Singapore and I'm also taking the opportunity to swop the tuners for Gotoh UPTs, it's taking a little longer to return to me.

Andy Chen
08-26-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't really. But since it went back to the people who made it, I know it's in good hands.

hapuna
09-02-2014, 10:19 AM
What about us Blackbird Darth Vader Tenor folks???? Kinda selective aren't we????

PereBourik
09-02-2014, 11:12 AM
What about us Blackbird Darth Vader Tenor folks???? Kinda selective aren't we????

Hang out if you like Hapuna. Everybody's welcome.

This was started for those of us in the first wave of Claras. It's different enough from my other ukes that I wanted a little company. Turns out a "Group" didn't really materialize, but the thread has been helpful.