NUD: 1928 Johnny Marvin Aero Professional

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I finally came across a vintage uke that completely grabbed me. It's a 1928 Johnny Marvin Aero Professional "Tenor", made by Harmony. While it's called a tenor, it is actually concert-sized by today's standards, which is fine by me as that has become my preferred size. This example is in amazing condition as evident in the photos below. I'm pretty excited about it and it will be a loooooong two weeks before I have it in my hands due to my July 4th vacation.

Oh, and I pray my second car sells before my wife gets back from her trip later this month or I may have to choose one to let go from this, my Clara or my Collings. Makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. ;-) I figure if I sell my second car I can get a +1 bump to my current two uke limit.

I finally came across a vintage uke that completely grabbed me. It's a 1928 Johnny Marvin Aero Professional "Tenor", made by Harmony. While it's called a tenor, it is actually concert-sized by today's standards, which is fine by me as that has become my preferred size. This example is in amazing condition as evident in the photos below. I'm pretty excited about it and it will be a loooooong two weeks before I have it in my hands due to my July 4th vacation.

Oh, and I pray my second car sells before my wife gets back from her trip later this month or I may have to choose one to let go from this, my Clara or my Collings. Makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. ;-) I figure if I sell my second car I can get a +1 bump to my current two uke limit.

really nice vintage uke! what is the scale on this bad boy?
damn second car, i dont even have one, at least you can sell one and still have a car :p for a nice uke i think its worth it :p

Wow, nicest Marvin I've seen. What a score.

WOW! that's gorgeous, is it solid Mahogany or what?

That's a great uke Eddie. Congrats.

BTW, I think you getting rid of your second car has to be worth at least 3 or 4 more ukes.

*th*

You're all enablers, damn you! ;-)

To answer the questions that came up:

-- Concert-sized (though the name is tenor the scale is today's concert)
-- The wood is Flaming tiger-striped solid cuban mahogany with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard

Appreciate all the warm wishes!

E

Wow, awesome Eddie! You'll love it, it's by far the best sounding uke I own and the one with the best story. Plus, the craftsmanship and wood on these things is top-notch...folks can love their Martins to death but this older Harmony really shows the quality that was on display in their earlier years before switching to plywood and paint.

Yours looks like it's in far better condition than mine though :p it'll sound even better than it looks! Here's mine:

P8230026.jpg

Did you buy it from eBayer *Th*? He's a cool fellow selling his pop's collection. Some say he CA glued the frets in place, but other than that, impeccable instruments. Costly, but impeccable. I know many others who have looked at *Th*'s instruments longingly. :)

Did you buy it from eBayer *Th*? He's a cool fellow selling his pop's collection. Some say he CA glued the frets in place, but other than that, impeccable instruments. Costly, but impeccable. I know many others who have looked at *Th*'s instruments longingly. :)

I believe there are other ukes from this same collection being offered on eBay. His father was a professional musician and had quite the collection. From what I understand, they are all in truly amazing condition. Yes, most seem fully priced but given the condition, it is not surprising. I tried to get a full listing but the estate has specific instructions on how they must be sold.

Hmm, "some say"? Not sure about the "Superglue" comment, so please PM me if there is something of which I should be aware. I have full return rights if the uke is not in the condition represented. I need to find a really great vintage luthier to inspect it for me. I saw some referrals on here for a few folks down in Orange County, but if there are any in LA of which I should be aware, that would be more convenient.

I believe there are other ukes from this same collection being offered on eBay. His father was a professional musician and had quite the collection. From what I understand, they are all in truly amazing condition. Yes, most seem fully priced but given the condition, it is not surprising. I tried to get a full listing but the estate has specific instructions on how they must be sold.

Hmm, "some say"? Not sure about the "Superglue" comment, so please PM me if there is something of which I should be aware. I have full return rights if the uke is not in the condition represented. I need to find a really great vintage luthier to inspect it for me. I saw some referrals on here for a few folks down in Orange County, but if there are any in LA of which I should be aware, that would be more convenient.

I'm glad you got it Eddie, it's a beaut! Now you'r going to have to by an aero uke to go along with it.
BTW, if it is indeed true, I'm not sure super gluing any of the frets would detract from it's value. It's a technique used in some modern building.

I'm glad you got it Eddie, it's a beaut! Now you'r going to have to by an aero uke to go along with it.
BTW, if it is indeed true, I'm not sure super gluing any of the frets would detract from it's value. It's a technique used in some modern building.

Thanks so much, Chuck! I listened to some wise advice. ;-)

And I appreciate the point about Super Gluing. Good to know!

Top Bottom