New Martin Finish 3m vs style 2

SamUke

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a new Martin 3M and have a question for those that may have played or own both the style 2 and or 3m. Is the finish the same as the Style 2 reissue? Is it darker like the original 3m's? It's hard to tell online. Thanks

Hi, SamUke. Nice to see that you're still in St Louis, hope your summer is going well.

I have a new issue Martin 2M and a 3C (cherry) and the wood is darker on the style 3. The actual finish texture is the same on the two instruments (so, I would wager it's the same texture on 3M, too), but for color, at least on the cherry 3, Martin must add some darker stain somewhere along the process. It's a lovely satin finish (like this).
http://www.elderly.com/new_instrume...uke-soprano-style-3-ukulele-and-ca--3CUKE.htm

I realize your question was about the new 3M, so let's hope someone chimes in on that one. I'm with you, I truly enjoy the dark, rich wood colors.

As I have gone into collecting and playing vintage Martins rather than the re-issues, if you have any interest in a sale on my newer Martins, just let me know.

Last edited:
I have a new 3m, style 2 and a 3 cherry. The style 2 is a bit darker than the new 3m. The 3m seems a bit more finer based on the ones I have. No idea about the vintage ones.

Peter

Last edited:
Peter,
How would you describe the sonic difference between the 3M and 3 cherry?

The new 3m is my absolute favourite ukulele. Steve will quite rightly think I'm mad but I think I even prefer it to the vintage Martins I've played and owned. The sound is incredible. Like Petey says - loud! It's louder than my KoAlohas even. It can also be subtle too, it is very dynamic. I love it.

Oh and it smells like chocolate too!

The new 3m is my absolute favourite ukulele. Steve will quite rightly think I'm mad but I think I even prefer it to the vintage Martins I've played and owned. The sound is incredible. Like Petey says - loud! It's louder than my KoAlohas even. It can also be subtle too, it is very dynamic. I love it.

Oh and it smells like chocolate too!

I don't think you're mad, Matty. Touched, perhaps. But mad? No. Lol

Question...my newer 2M is, as Petey noted in his video, much more shimmering and vibrant than either my newer 3C or my newer 2K. Much! I wonder how the new 3M stacks up against the new 2M? Logic tells me they'd be about the same.

:D

Sadly I haven't played a new 2m so can't be sure but guessing they sound similar. I think Petey said the 3m had a more refined sound?
There's a noticeable difference between the 3m and 3 cherry that I can say for sure. The 3 cherry is much more mellow. The 3m is so much more crisp sounding. The highs and lows come through with more dynamics.

:D

There's a noticeable difference between the 3m and 3 cherry that I can say for sure. The 3 cherry is much more mellow. The 3m is so much more crisp sounding. The highs and lows come through with more dynamics.

Yes, yes. Agreed. Also, my 3C is, literally, the heaviest soprano uke I own! I scaled it at 16.8 ounces! My other Martins: newer models around 12 ounces, vintage (well dried out) models around 10 ounces.

Oh man, I thought I was good for a while but you guys are killing me with this new 3M talk - with the magic word being LOUD!

Petey, I'm looking forward to a new 3M review from you.

Sam, are you considering the 3M available at Elderly right now?

I love my Ukiyo Roy Smeck Vita that is also very loud (plus double-"sealed" for my protection). But the Martin 3M is such a classic design.

Matty and Steve, thanks for weighing in as well - more fuel for the fire!

Oh man, I thought I was good for a while but you guys are killing me with this new 3M talk - with the magic word being LOUD!

Sam, are you considering the 3M available at Elderly right now?

I love my Ukiyo Roy Smeck Vita that is also very loud (plus double-"sealed" for my protection). But the Martin 3M is such a classic design.

Matty and Steve, thanks for weighing in as well - more fuel for the fire!
Wait, wait. I thought you were going for a vintage mahogany three.

Just a clarification as you all probably realize, "loud" is a positive comment for that uke. I don't even think you would need an amp while busking! Better check city noise bylaws before venturing out to play on the streets with that 3M baby! hehe I just found it loud when you hammer out some fancy strumming. The 3 cherry is not loud like the 3m. I prefer the 3 cherry because it compliments my voice in tone and dynamics. I'm sure there are many out there who would like the 3m.

I will do a review of it with the style 2 eventually but I'm finishing up my Martin 3 tenors review: 2K, style 2, and T1K.

I realize that people appreciate those reviews since it's so hard to get one's hands on a new Martin but I've got a day job and been getting lazy at night to practice.

cheers,

Petey

Top Bottom